Page 25 of 237 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    Tommi please... what the hell is this nonsense:
    More shorter stages means more social media and more coverage for the sport.

Where does this (il)logic come from? Mahonen was spouting the same shit in that earlier story... where have these guys bought their consultancy services from?
    So can someone explain the success of 12/ 24 Hour races; Le Mans, Nurburgring, Spa, Bathurst, Sebring, etc Nobody has thought they are all too long, and should be reduced in distance.....

If you continue to chase the mythical 'casual' fan, we really will end up with a RallyCross extreme version of rallying.....
    Just stop this nonsense - they've already sold out for TV....Enough is enough!!

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

2. Likes: BleAivano (8th December 2017),Mirek (8th December 2017),pantealex (8th December 2017),René (8th December 2017),sonnybobiche (8th December 2017)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    So can someone explain the success of 12/ 24 Hour races; Le Mans, Nurburgring, Spa, Bathurst, Sebring, etc Nobody has thought they are all too long, and should be reduced in distance.....
    ... or Dakar or Silk Way...
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: AndyRAC (8th December 2017),pantealex (8th December 2017),René (8th December 2017)
    Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts

If you continue to chase the mythical 'casual' fan, we really will end up with a RallyCross extreme version of rallying.....
    Well, endurance racing is actually realtively easy to produce TV production for. The reason is simply that eventhough the Nordschleife and Circuit de la Sarthe (or any other) are very long, the cars always stay in the same place. So you can just place the cameras and leave them there. I always watch those races cause they're interesting and the live broadcast at least in Europe is very good and extensive.

With the WRC or any rally series for that matter the problem is that you'd need loads more cameras and staff to do much live broadcasting.

I am very much against shortening stages. However, I'd like to see them maybe add one or two more live stages a day if at all possible, but not at the cost of removing the long stages. If anything, add a couple of 10 to 15 km 'broadcastable' stages to the existing ones.

6. Likes: AnttiL (8th December 2017),pantealex (8th December 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

[WRC] News & Rumours 2018

No one has said WRC rallies should be 150 km long. Shorter stages, but more of them keeps the total distance equal

8. Likes: Sub_Skoda (8th December 2017)
    Liked 544 Times in 302 Posts
    For me, the appeal of the WRC is the variety it has. Not only are surfaces, weather and daylight/dark stages the challenges in the sport, but also stage length is a challenge in itself. Keeping stages the same distance would be more monotonous and I find it far more interesting to see the who's the best tackling different challenges. I understand what they're trying to do but personally I think keeping stage distances the same throughout a rally is not what rallying is about.

10. Likes: AnttiL (8th December 2017),electroliquid (8th December 2017),pantealex (8th December 2017)
    Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    No one has said WRC rallies should be 150 km long. Shorter stages, but more of them keeps the total distance equal
    That would still bother me though. Part of the appeal of rallying is that the crews have to keep up their concentration for extended amounts of time, keeping up their rythm, dealing with issues, trying to stay troublefree no matter the weather.

I know what Andy means by saying it gives it a smell of rallycross. The total distance is not the whole story. It would just feel like a rallycross event with an insane amount of heats.

12. Likes: pantealex (8th December 2017)
    When we talk about the endurance element of rallying, it's worth remembering that the current cars have to tackle up to 80 kms of stages and maybe 200 kms of liaison between services. Back in the days you could have the service van waiting for you right after the flying finish. And when the race was over, you could just have a completely new engine built.

14. Likes: electroliquid (8th December 2017),WRC1 (8th December 2017)
    Liked 9,311 Times in 4,938 Posts
    It's total nonsense about shorter rallies/stages to gain more fans.

I grew up with the Group B era and no internet/social media.. but following rally and nightly TV (RAC Rally) was still possible and interesting even over 5 days & 50+ stages.

And Rallying was the most popular and mainstream it's ever been.

16. Likes: Andre Oliveira (8th December 2017),AndyRAC (8th December 2017),pantealex (8th December 2017),sonnybobiche (19th December 2017)
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    I do wonder if Red Bull have had a word in Mahonen's ears, and he's put the suggestion out there, to see what the reaction is. An old Bernie tactic.....

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    It's total nonsense about shorter rallies/stages to gain more fans.

I grew up with the Group B era and no internet/social media.. but following rally and nightly TV (RAC Rally) was still possible and interesting even over 5 days & 50+ stages.

And Rallying was the most popular and mainstream it's ever been.
    And 1000 Lakes Rally almost went bankrupt those days because the stages were mostly under 10 kms long, it just wasn't appealing to anyone

19. Likes: sonnybobiche (19th December 2017)