Page 10 of 237 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    He doesn't say that. David Evans just interprets his words. If anything, Mahonen is asking for things that were a given in rallying decades ago (short legs between services, short stages, short liaisons).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori View Post
    Considering Evans' article (what Colin Clark probably describes as a work of world class journo!) and things Mahonen brings forth there - it's the difficult question of how to please manufacturers (who pay for this), desirebly bigger light user service park goers (who pay for this) and consideribly big, but not easily growing heavy user special stage goers (who pay for this). We can't have all. We also can't have rallying as per pre-95 because that society isn't here anymore. We can't have more events without giving away something from the old. There's a lot of pressure involved, for decision makers like Mahonen especially. I think we all understand the different sides, but there isn't working standard solution for every event in the current format. My ideal is relatively close to what we have now.
    Guys, fair enough - I must admit I didn't bother reading the story due to the Mahonen-factor. But yes, I know he's a "rally person" and I can even recall seeing (as a kid though) him co-drive Seppo Mustonen back in the late 80s / early 90s, but I just can't stand him. And that's purely because what happened to the national scene during the time he was in AKK. But that's another discussion altogether...

IMO, there's a lot of room for improvement in the structure of the current WRC rallies. And it's not that I'd like to see them drive days and days without any sleep (á la RAC 1985), but the rallies should (again, in my opinioin) differ more from one another. We could easily keep the total mileage of the season as it is today, but yes, Monte should be longer, Argentina should be longer and then we could squeeze the true sprint rallies like Sweden and Finland to a more compact form. That being said, I totally agree with Hartusvuori that this current model is far from being bad. Let's face it, it could be A LOT worse.

2. Likes: AnttiL (30th November 2017),Hartusvuori (30th November 2017),pantealex (30th November 2017),Rally Power (1st December 2017),Rallyper (30th November 2017)
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    IMO, there's a lot of room for improvement in the structure of the current WRC rallies. And it's not that I'd like to see them drive days and days without any sleep (á la RAC 1985), but the rallies should (again, in my opinioin) differ more from one another. We could easily keep the total mileage of the season as it is today, but yes, Monte should be longer, Argentina should be longer and then we could squeeze the true sprint rallies like Sweden and Finland to a more compact form. That being said, I totally agree with Hartusvuori that this current model is far from being bad. Let's face it, it could be A LOT worse.
    I do absolutely agree with you that rallies should have and be able to hold on to their character. That shouldn't be impossible, but natural. In my opinion that should also raise the public interest - the core of the events anyhow will be the same, special stages rallying and in the end the fastest crew wins.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

4. Likes: Allez Andruet (30th November 2017),pantealex (30th November 2017),PLuto (30th November 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    we could squeeze the true sprint rallies like Sweden and Finland to a more compact form.
    I don't see how Rally Finland could be any shorter than it is now. But I'd love to have an additional leg driven on Thursday evening on every rally.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori View Post
    I do absolutely agree with you that rallies should have and be able to hold on to their character.
    Tour de Corse has 10 stages, Rally Finland has 25 stages. Monte and TDC do not have any super specials, Mexico has eight of them. Monte and Wales have night stages. I think that's pushing it as far as the current rules allow.

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    I don't see how Rally Finland could be any shorter than it is now. But I'd love to have an additional leg driven on Thursday evening on every rally.

Tour de Corse has 10 stages, Rally Finland has 25 stages. Monte and TDC do not have any super specials, Mexico has eight of them. Monte and Wales have night stages. I think that's pushing it as far as the current rules allow.
    Finland could have current sunday in thursday (4 SS maybe) and rally could end saturday evening = lot of people watching.
    VIP people are not watching rally sundays.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Finland could have current sunday in thursday (4 SS maybe) and rally could end saturday evening = lot of people watching.
    VIP people are not watching rally sundays.
    Does not make it really shorter. Also, having power stage always on sunday afternoon is good

Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Why not have the Service Park at a spectator stage (or vice versa). There would be less liaison miles going a long way just to run a short stage. Seemed to work on the recent Rally Australia at Coff"s Harbour...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Why not have the Service Park at a spectator stage (or vice versa). There would be less liaison miles going a long way just to run a short stage. Seemed to work on the recent Rally Australia at Coff"s Harbour...
    SSS Harju in Finland is 5min walking from Service Park, works fine.

10. Likes: AnttiL (30th November 2017)
    Does not make it really shorter. Also, having power stage always on sunday afternoon is good
    One day shorter but with same kilometers.

Now 6 days (2d recce, thursday, friday, saturday and sunday) My version only 5 days.
    I have nothing against sunday but I´m hardcore rallyfan.

Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    What about starting up some remote service areas? Not full service, but more than today and enough to provide competitors to make stages a bit more far from SP. Should open up for new stages. Not same, same every year.
    Having said that I agree every rally should/could have it´s own exclusive brand in form of lenght, days involved etz. Teemu, though, have a point that todays formula is quite near the ideal.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

13. Likes: pantealex (30th November 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    What about starting up some remote service areas?
    Mahonen addressed this problem in the article, when the cars are on a long leg with a remote service, the main service park is quiet for a full day.

I would personally love to have longer legs with remote services to get access to a wider selection of stages, but I understand that the service park is important to the business side of rally, and without that there is no rally at all.