Page 47 of 237 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y View Post
    That's what Dave Richards was saying fifteen years ago, and what Max Mosley was saying about F1 forty years ago. It's cheaper to set cameras up on a circuit and broadcast than have film crews moving around and sending in a signal from the woods, though. Live coverage, recaps and access to them on TV or online of rally is messier now than a few years ago.
    Since the IRC broadcasted the whole Monte Carlo live, we know it is possible to do it. But since then (2011?) things only changed for the worst.

2. Likes: A FONDO (3rd January 2018),Gregor-y (2nd January 2018),juhoman (6th January 2018),pantealex (2nd January 2018),PLuto (2nd January 2018),sonnybobiche (2nd January 2018)
    Liked 134 Times in 93 Posts
    So they have better equipment then and more not lazy people out there, if that is the problem of 2017/2018... Next thing they could shut down is live timing because is too much to work on. And introduce backyard rally and cars could go from real thing to RC ones...

4. Likes: sonnybobiche (2nd January 2018)
    Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...twoday-rallies

Ciesla considers shortening the events to two days and then adding 3 events to the calendar.

It's hard for me to see how removing one day from the existing events would cut the expenses enough to allow adding new events. The logistics must be the biggest expense in the events and that won't become any cheaper if there's more events.
    For sure not. Most expensive on each event is logistics - transport, accomodation, building the manors in service etc. +-100 kms of stages is absolutely nothing in terms of budget. But adding one more event is a huuuuuge... ...problem

6. Likes: Andre Oliveira (2nd January 2018),AnttiL (2nd January 2018),dupanton (2nd January 2018),KiwiWRCfan (2nd January 2018),pantealex (2nd January 2018),Simmi (2nd January 2018),sonnybobiche (2nd January 2018)
    Liked 240 Times in 108 Posts
    I don´t like the idea of shortening all the events to two days, maybe just some of them. It could be an option for rallies which take place in (more or less) the same area, for example Argentina/Chile or Corsica/Sardinia. These events could be held on two consecutive weekends. And while these rallies are shorter you could lengthen other rallies like Monte-Carlo and give the double amount of points.

8. Likes: electroliquid (2nd January 2018),steve.mandzij (3rd January 2018)
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Some events lend themselves to it more I agree. Colin Clark referenced Ypres in a tweet which I agree with as a good example of a short event that packs in the value. Being held in summer helps the event, but so does the compact nature of the stages.

Trying to pack Rally GB into two days for example doesn't work in the current format. They'd need to move the service park closer to the stages, which then means the service park is less effective. So they need to be careful they don't create issues in other areas.

What I fear is they need to cut days out from all rallies to even get close to the cost-savings required for a couple more flyaway events. Shortening just a couple doesn't work. It really is a case of compromising the sport for the sake of the $$$ that you can get by adding extra rounds.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 5,531 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Ypres is good but it is ERC/BRC/ERT event... not a WORLD Rally Championship event

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    It's ridiculous. Just one year after they changed the regulations (which create more expensive cars) they're already talking about cutting the costs. If they'll make events shorter, teams will just have more money to spend on development, eventually making things even more expensive...

12. Likes: Mirek (2nd January 2018),pantealex (2nd January 2018)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...twoday-rallies
    Ciesla considers shortening the events to two days and then adding 3 events to the calendar.
    When will Ciesla realize that WRC popularity can’t be declared by a FIA rule and it’s not measurable by TV audiences or twiter stats? Doesn’t he knows that many previous WRC attempts to extend the series worldwide have failed?

I hope the guy understands it once for all: Rally it’s deeply linked to the passion of the people where the sport was born and got developed. FIA must recognize WRC’s Eurocentric character; otherwise they risk the series future, opening the way for rival alternatives, like it happened with IRC.

Ok, maybe there’s room to improve current events layout, as the 3 stages/60 kms double loop format, run from 9 to 5 with endless liaisons and boring halts, it’s exhausted, still, no matter the kind of shorter WRC rallys they came with, heritage events (MC, GB, NZ or ARG) identity must be respected; like it was said here before (by AndyRAC, I believe), no one would dare to turn LeMans 24H into a 6H race, just to line up with other WEC events...
    Rally addict since 1982

14. Likes: AndyRAC (2nd January 2018),KiwiWRCfan (2nd January 2018),pantealex (2nd January 2018)
    Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
    In Lebanon we have very challenging tarmac stages.... Why not?

Sent from my HTC Desire 10 pro using Tapatalk

16. Likes: BigWorm (2nd January 2018),JUF (2nd January 2018)
    Liked 240 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fegh View Post
    In Lebanon we have very challenging tarmac stages.... Why not?
    Well, I like the idea. I would definitely come to see that event.

18. Likes: fegh (3rd January 2018)