Page 121 of 237 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 2367
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Not for the sportsmen. Even being a co-driver is physically demanding especially in hot weather. There is a reason why the profi crews do a lot of gymnastics and stuff to keep themselves in the best shape. Not saying he can't do that but for sure not that good like years a go.
    Well, yes, but then we have crew no. 11....

2. Likes: dnb (1st April 2018),pantealex (3rd April 2018)
    Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    Not for the sportsmen..
    Is that a fact?

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Not for the sportsmen. Even being a co-driver is physically demanding especially in hot weather. There is a reason why the profi crews do a lot of gymnastics and stuff to keep themselves in the best shape. Not saying he can't do that but for sure not that good like years a go.
    Mirek, armchair general this is not opinion...Physical training is good for BRAIN function and to reduce the perception of stress..
    CARs are not physically demanding compared to some REAL manly sports.

But STRESS---specially the individual's subjective perception of stress IS a real thing..
    If as has been the trend for a lobf time now, they recruit young boys who are from privileged background to " bring up" in the sport...I mean just look at them when tmany begin the sport..They're soft children....
    They NEED something physically hard to do so in the mind they have something to compare the NORMAL pressure and stress of rally to something.
    Doing all that gym and running in their mind "was hard" so "mere stress" seems less hard...

You can be armchair general, and an engineer....I did harder sport...then did rally..Rally was nothing hard..Good laugh..
    (everything is relative..when I retired and come back to Amerika I get to do my real love---on motorcycles --before I do rally. Fun was defined as 300km in the mountains on narrow skinny little trails banging over 10000 rocks and bouncing off of 100 trees in one day..Then 16km --5 laps---around extra long mx track..
    That was fun!... One day.. WRC guys sit in nice car and do 300km SS over 3 days..a slight relative difference...
    it is STRESS the physical training is for.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

5. Likes: danon (1st April 2018)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Oh, so the wrc drivers looking kind of tired at the end of longer stages on hot gravel rallies is just the stress. Good to know.

* starts searching for the "manly-oh-meter" *

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    what was the name of the 60 years old French gentleman driver with 307WRC that used to beat works Fords on some tarmac events (I think in Bulgaria)? that was about 10 years ago

Liked 1,123 Times in 601 Posts
    Mental difficult task are physically exhaustings.
    The thing with rallying is that it's not one stage, the crew is busy and has to remain focussed all day. Janvanpuura is not wrong, but he needs to call it exhaustion instead of stress.
    It's like walking 80km, it's never not difficult because the speed's to high, it's difficult because it takes so long.

Being old is not a physical problem. The level of fitness required in the wrc can be achieved by a 60 year old. It's a problem of the mind. As you get older your reactions get slower, and there's nothing you can do about it.
    For a codriver its doesn't matter that much, because they don't need to react in milliseconds.

9. Likes: A FONDO (6th April 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    Mental difficult task are physically exhaustings.
    The thing with rallying is that it's not one stage, the crew is busy and has to remain focussed all day. Janvanpuura is not wrong, but he needs to call it exhaustion instead of stress.
    It's like walking 80km, it's never not difficult because the speed's to high, it's difficult because it takes so long.

Being old is not a physical problem. The level of fitness required in the wrc can be achieved by a 60 year old. It's a problem of the mind. As you get older your reactions get slower, and there's nothing you can do about it.
    For a codriver its doesn't matter that much, because they don't need to react in milliseconds.
    I am just curious if anybody here has tested their own reactions as they have aged?
    See, everybody talks about 'fast reactions' and how younger guys supposedly have "fast reactions"...
    But nobody ever puts any numbers to it... ever...
    And nobody puts a number to what "normal" reaction is, and how much "faster reaction" is "needed" compared to a base line of "normal" reactions..

And then there are those --like me---who believe --or rather know---that "fast" reactions are trained in.
    And that the whole (amateur) discussion --which may be true to some (quantified) degree ignores totally the role of experience, and that you do need "super fast" reactions if you don't get yourself into situations where fast reactions are needed..Experience counts

This is fun testhttp://www.loltimeplayed.com/reactionresults.php

Your reaction speed is 262ms

117,862 players have taken the test*. The mean reaction time of all players is 285 ms and the mean age is 19.7

Q Is there a correlation between reaction speed and ability? YES

Now last few days I have been helping a friend move his rally prep and cage building shop..Long 10-12 hours days, TONS of equipent loaded and moved and unloaded..TONS of jumk scrapped..21 years in that shop and he is a pack-rat.
    I am tired, and have not had a cup of tea in 8 hours...I have eaten 1 orange and 2 apples..so hungry..Low energy..
    But somehow I beat the mean reaction time of nerdy game players with an average age of 19.7 years...
    I turned 65 last December...

Last year when perkier and a recent cigarette I did test 20 times and that day averaged between .181 and .200 milliseconds stomping the sh!t out of the two 18/19 year old boys who were telling me why the driver had "exceptional" reaction times..(yeah exceptionally SLOW!!! averaged .360 milliseconds.

Reaction times, like nearly everything else, is largely learned and then reinforced by practice. It is largely what the US Navy "Top Gun School" calls a "highly perishable skill"

All you guys here are fans in one degree or another. let's see what reaction times you have..Follow the link, take the test, post results.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Oh, so the wrc drivers looking kind of tired at the end of longer stages on hot gravel rallies is just the stress. Good to know.

* starts searching for the "manly-oh-meter" *

Did I say "just" stress? No I didn't. I said largely...
    Do you understand the relative comparisons I mentioned?
    Tell me all your active motorsport activities from 15 to now so I can better understand your opinion...

because I repeated that "everything is relative"...
    Last edited by janvanvurpa; 2nd April 2018 at 02:55.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 629 Times in 347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis View Post
    what was the name of the 60 years old French gentleman driver with 307WRC that used to beat works Fords on some tarmac events (I think in Bulgaria)? that was about 10 years ago
    Dany Snobeck

13. Likes: pantealex (3rd April 2018)
    Liked 1,123 Times in 601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    I am just curious if anybody here has tested their own reactions as they have aged?
    See, everybody talks about 'fast reactions' and how younger guys supposedly have "fast reactions"...
    But nobody ever puts any numbers to it... ever...
    And nobody puts a number to what "normal" reaction is, and how much "faster reaction" is "needed" compared to a base line of "normal" reactions..

And then there are those --like me---who believe --or rather know---that "fast" reactions are trained in.
    And that the whole (amateur) discussion --which may be true to some (quantified) degree ignores totally the role of experience, and that you do need "super fast" reactions if you don't get yourself into situations where fast reactions are needed..Experience counts

But somehow I beat the mean reaction time of nerdy game players with an average age of 19.7 years...
    I turned 65 last December...

Reaction times, like nearly everything else, is largely learned and then reinforced by practice. It is largely what the US Navy "Top Gun School" calls a "highly perishable skill"

All you guys here are fans in one degree or another. let's see what reaction times you have..Follow the link, take the test, post results.
    i think you're not getting it.
    yes, reactions can be trained. yes, a 65 year old can have faster reactions than the average 20 year old.

but, at age 65 you will never be able to train your reactions to be as fast as you would have been able at age 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Barreis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ucci View Post
    Dany Snobeck
    its either not snobeck, or Barreis's memory is wrong.

snobeck has in his 40 years career only 2 times competed outside france. only once in his 307, in spain 2009.

15. Likes: sonnybobiche (6th April 2018)