Page 179 of 237 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 2367
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    And also why he is not developing his tarmac skills
    Well one really has to wonder about this.

He should be driving tarmac in Portugal/Italy/Spain/France in every free period (and he has many since he does not do full season). Get own sponsors to pay for it or even pay with own money.

If not then at least do some circuit racing with simple cars (ex. Caterhams). Instead he is driving gravel rallies in nz/australia.

2. Likes: pantealex (14th June 2018)
    Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    As I recall, Tanak had a reputation for being pretty inadequate on tarmac until relatively recently. Some people are slow learners, but their maximum potential may be higher than the fast learners. I'm not saying someone like Meeke deserves another shot, because after a certain point you really can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I think Paddon is currently undervalued. That spectacular win against Ogier in Argentina didn't come from nowhere.

What's Robert Kubica doing other than sitting around muttering to himself in a Williams garage? Pay him to come by a couple of times a week and teach Paddon all the secrets to being quick on tarmac in a rally car.

4. Likes: GravelBen (14th June 2018),Marcco (15th June 2018),Munkvy (22nd June 2018),Rally Hokkaido (14th June 2018),Rallyper (14th June 2018)
    Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Looking through his results most of his WRC tarmac placings are around 5th-6th, so while he hasn't been challenging for wins on tarmac he has been generally finishing rallies and taking consistent points from them (and the occasional stage win from memory).

I do agree that it would help his driving to spend more time gaining tarmac experience though - I was suprised Hyundai didn't run an R5 this year for Paddon and Sordo to take turns driving when they aren't in the WRC car, seemed like it would be a smart thing to do.

Many of his sponsors are back here in NZ though, so he has to come and do home rallies as well for sponsor commitments etc. Plus the roads are better here.

Liked 300 Times in 127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Good call, but it could also be just car-driver-specific. It's been said that Neuville developed the new i20 more to his driving style.

It's interesting though that Latvala has a similar sideways style but active diffs have always suited him better.
    I would love to see thread, where differernt driving styles were analysed....

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Looking through his results most of his WRC tarmac placings are around 5th-6th, so while he hasn't been challenging for wins on tarmac he has been generally finishing rallies and taking consistent points from them (and the occasional stage win from memory).
    Last year in Deutschland he got a couple of 2nd and 3rd stage times but that was on Saturday and Sunday when he was starting as the second car after Armin Kremer, who probably didn't cut and pull dirt to the road as much as the proper factory drivers. Other than that, not quite impressive pace. In Tour de Corse he managed one fourth place, mostly 6-8 positions. I'm not saying he's as bad as Kankkunen on the last years of his career, but if he wants to win a championship, he needs to have a podium pace on every rally, on any surface.

Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit12 View Post
    I would love to see thread, where differernt driving styles were analysed....
    Search for a thread called Nose-End First or something like that here.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/show...and-techniques

here you go, but it doesn't really have much other than speculation

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Search for a thread called Nose-End First or something like that here.
    Here is a link to Lundefaret commenting on Paddon and "Nose End First" technique:

https://rallirinki.net/2016/07/06/cr...orld-champion/

Liked 12,153 Times in 5,211 Posts
    Teams not satisfied with Sardinia and Corsica https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...a-2019-boycott
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

I understand the concern. Actually I was wondering why there were so little people in the service park on the images behind the All Live announcers. But then again, the mainland France rally won't be as awesome as Tour de Corse? Italy could have something like San Remo to offer instead...