Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
He doesn't say that. David Evans just interprets his words. If anything, Mahonen is asking for things that were a given in rallying decades ago (short legs between services, short stages, short liaisons).
Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori View Post
Considering Evans' article (what Colin Clark probably describes as a work of world class journo!) and things Mahonen brings forth there - it's the difficult question of how to please manufacturers (who pay for this), desirebly bigger light user service park goers (who pay for this) and consideribly big, but not easily growing heavy user special stage goers (who pay for this). We can't have all. We also can't have rallying as per pre-95 because that society isn't here anymore. We can't have more events without giving away something from the old. There's a lot of pressure involved, for decision makers like Mahonen especially. I think we all understand the different sides, but there isn't working standard solution for every event in the current format. My ideal is relatively close to what we have now.
Guys, fair enough - I must admit I didn't bother reading the story due to the Mahonen-factor. But yes, I know he's a "rally person" and I can even recall seeing (as a kid though) him co-drive Seppo Mustonen back in the late 80s / early 90s, but I just can't stand him. And that's purely because what happened to the national scene during the time he was in AKK. But that's another discussion altogether...

IMO, there's a lot of room for improvement in the structure of the current WRC rallies. And it's not that I'd like to see them drive days and days without any sleep (á la RAC 1985), but the rallies should (again, in my opinioin) differ more from one another. We could easily keep the total mileage of the season as it is today, but yes, Monte should be longer, Argentina should be longer and then we could squeeze the true sprint rallies like Sweden and Finland to a more compact form. That being said, I totally agree with Hartusvuori that this current model is far from being bad. Let's face it, it could be A LOT worse.