Threaded View

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts

The future of WRC machines, full electric or hybrid?!

I think it's time we start a discussion about the future for regulations of the next era of WRC, even if we're not interely sure when they will begin to be discussed

As we all know, and some of us dread, the future of car transportation will be heavily based on e-mobility, several legislators are working to ban combustion only powertrains beyond 2040, so sooner or later the sport will have to adapt to new ways.

As I see it in a decade, when almost all cars sold are full BEV vehicles, the chances for sportscars to remain some sort of hybrids is very likely.

Ofcourse as things are going right now, the optimal car for the everyday commuter will be probably be something as we see today in a E-Golf, fully electric vehicle that caters mainly to those only interested in getting somewhere cheaply and fast, however, there will be still a significant part of the market (in which I am included) keen on the sport variants, most likely still looking for the emotional aspect of driving with sounds, vibrations and perfomance.

As for the emissions it is probably believable to say that in in 10-15 years time nobody will care about them, as the hybrid sportscars sold will be a drop in the ocean compared to the overall car sales volume, much like today, a Golf R sells very little compared to the regular Golfs.

For me the possibilites of an Hybrid powertrain are endless in a sports cars, we can combine both for very top perfomance, and we can also have a full EV apllication for the commutes and city use (as some cities may only allow full EV circulation for cars in the future), where a drop of petrol will not be needed (Panamera E-Hybrid does it already in a very efficient way).
    However we will still be able to have that petrol engine for perfomance and emotion.

So accordingly the sport will have to adapt, as various manufacturers are favoring hybrid platforms for the future sportscars, is it feasable to have them in the WRC very soon?

Keep in mind that Im looking 15-30 years ahead, after that I fully believe in the doom of a society which wont allow you to drive, and most likely several if not all car makers will vanish since everyday transportation will be done in full autonomous pods owned by some sort of transport company like Lyft or Uber.
    Last edited by Francis44; 8th November 2017 at 21:59.