Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Part of the reason the Mercedes cars were allowed to run away uncontested in 2014 and later was the stupid rules that banned in-season engine development, and seriously restricted changes between seasons. No wonder nobody was able to fight back. Note that this rule was introduced to reduce the cost of the engines. How great.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    To my POV the new rules don't really address any of the core issue at the moment. I am so sick of hearing about the noise of the current engines. The current engines sound great they just aren't as loud as previous iterations.
    It seems like these rules contradict themselves. What do they want to accomplish? Reduce the costs of engine development or increase the car's noise? We see a number of changes aimed at reducing costs (more standardized parts), but then there is a bunch of other rules concerned specifically with increasing the engine noise (delete MGU-H, make MGU-K more powerful). Clearly, this brand new set of rules will only increase not only the engine development costs, but also the car development costs, because the cars will also need to be redesigned significantly around new engines. I think it is silly to mandate new engine rules at the time when clearly, both Ferrari and Red Bull cars can regularly challenge the Mercedes.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    It seems like these rules contradict themselves. What do they want to accomplish? Reduce the costs of engine development or increase the car's noise? We see a number of changes aimed at reducing costs (more standardized parts), but then there is a bunch of other rules concerned specifically with increasing the engine noise (delete MGU-H, make MGU-K more powerful). Clearly, this brand new set of rules will only increase not only the engine development costs, but also the car development costs, because the cars will also need to be redesigned significantly around new engines. I think it is silly to mandate new engine rules at the time when clearly, both Ferrari and Red Bull cars can regularly challenge the Mercedes.
    I'm not too sure that the MGU-H isn't a bit of a "blind alley" anyway , as I've not heard of any road car considering it's use .
    So , putting more resources into something relevant seems like a better road to take to me .

It will also bring back some of that sound that all who have experienced it live crave .
    It's exhilarating as hell when you're there .

They'll spend what they can , so , with some costs set , with some standardizing set to come in , like with the ECU , they should all be starting at the same level , which should make it a little more attractive to new entries .

I think this could be a good reset for the series .
    Those teams with the most experience will still be up front , but the others might have more of a chance now and then .

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I think if it makes it easier to enter F1 then that is good. That is not to be confused with making it easy to win or compete at the top.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    I think if it makes it easier to enter F1 then that is good. That is not to be confused with making it easy to win or compete at the top.
    Agreed, But I'd still like to know how this is going to make entry easier.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Idk how they compare to support classes in other countries. But it's often amused me down here when someone complains about the noise, then referring to V8 supercars. F1 as they are, are louder than V8 supercars.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    Idk how they compare to support classes in other countries. But it's often amused me down here when someone complains about the noise, then referring to V8 supercars. F1 as they are, are louder than V8 supercars.
    Footnote: V8 supercars are no longer called V8 supercars. I think it's now called Virgin Australia Supercars Championship because the rules were changed to allow other engine configurations (despite rules change, I think all teams continue using V8 engines in 2017). These Australian V8 cars do sound pretty sweet, although they're not the loudest. For example, the Corvettes running in WEC and the American Weathertech Sportscar championships are much louder.

I remember the wonderful noise of all those V10s on the starting grid , across from the pits , under the big canopy , at Indy in 2000 .

It does make a difference , at least when you're there , and , without the MGU-H , we should be able to hear a little more of the song of the engine .

Allowing more power out of the battery bank makes it a little more relevant as well .

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Agreed, But I'd still like to know how this is going to make entry easier.
    Removing the MGU-H , a complicated bit , removes a major cost to start with .
    Making some parts standard is an attempt to have different engines easier to adapt to , as well as having set costing for various other bits which would normally have to be built in-house .

Most importantly , though , entry is made easier by making a new formula for all to start fresh , as starting in with all the incumbents well versed in how this car works is a steep hill to climb , and thus , not attractive at all .

They simply , all need to have a drive train they can promote as relevant to a car platform they produce .
    Then , they need to have a chance to win .

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    I'm glad I am not the only one who doesn't understand these rules. I could really care less about the noise. All I care about is more entries.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."