Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    You guys are confusing with Webber for someone who is really talented. I also find it unusual that anyone rates Hamilton's 08 title as particularly good, excluding that he reset the record for youngest champ. Overall, he was better in his first year. In hindsight he was fortunate Alonso left, as Alonso would've taken points off him.

That being said. He'll be racing til his mid 40s. I now expect him to get 8 titles and 100 wins.
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 11th November 2017 at 22:50.

2. Likes: zako85 (7th November 2017)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post

Was that because Vettel got everything out of it or Webber was average? Hard to know.
    I think what happened with Webber is that he was well above average at some point but reached his peak in 2010. I recall reading Webber's interview about why he decided to quit F1 after 2013 (I can't find its link unfortunately), where Webber tells that he worked very hard to beat Vettel week after week all the time, and then he looked at himself in a mirror and had a thought "I am not 22 year old any more" or something like that, and then he decided to quit.

Webber is average. Has always been. From British fford to Mercedes GT, to f3000, to his F1 career prior to 2010.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Congrats Lewis Hamilton 4 time world champion

Congratulations to Lewis, he’s once again shown what sets him apart from many and joins the elite group with Vettel. I have a feeling he’ll fight for one more championship and retire. I’ve always thought he’d leave the sport in his early 30’s. When you’ve got 4 titles the rest is just doing it for fun and he’s evidently looking at a career outside of F1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes: truefan72 (24th November 2017)
    Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    So a slightly crazy race but a good one.

Its an immense achievement to win 4 world titles. He stands with 5 men only who have achieved this. He should be proud no matter if people love or hate him.

Great effort today from Vettel. Great comeback. Launched into overtakes determined to try his hardest to win the race. Did all he could. Shows the level of the racing driver.

Hamilton had massive damage to his diffuser as shown on Sky. Great to see Alonso absolutely not show any mercy to the Champion elect and battle hard. Again the guy shows his genius and class.

Good race and deserving world champion.
    yeah its a great achievement to win 4 titles but last 3 titles have been with an utterly dominant car and pretty dull team-mates who only show up once in a while.
    Same as Vettel actually. It would mean a lot more if there was a serious battle like his 1st (and 3rd) title
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    yeah its a great achievement to win 4 titles but last 3 titles have been with an utterly dominant car and pretty dull team-mates who only show up once in a while.
    Same as Vettel actually. It would mean a lot more if there was a serious battle like his 1st (and 3rd) title
    I don't get how anyone can regard Rosberg as a dull team mate. I regard Nico as one of the best drivers of the last 10-15 years. He had incredible pace and was a wholly deserving world champion.

This year was one of the toughest championships I can remember for the first half of the season and first number of races in the second half of the season at least. Even Ferrari themselves believe they have the best overall package in their car and I'd agree. It was the sheer hard work, grit and determination of Mercedes and Hamilton that won this years championship. Hamilton has a tendency to be a little inconsistent at times but this year, Russia aside, he has been flawless. He took a very quick but difficult car to drive and wrung its neck. I don't think you can have anymore deserving a WDC than that.

Mercedes outfoxed Ferrari in qualifying, on strategy etc I think Ferrari could have been champions this year had they a stronger driver than Kimi in the car and played their strategies correctly even with their failures and Vettel's Singapore mess up.

The MB was the better car overall. But thanks to the new regs, the gap closed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I don't get how anyone can regard Rosberg as a dull team mate. I regard Nico as one of the best drivers of the last 10-15 years. He had incredible pace and was a wholly deserving world champion.
    Lololol Oh yeah. Now he was one of the best drivers, with incredible pace and deserving world champion.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    The MB was the better car overall. But thanks to the new regs, the gap closed.

Lololol Oh yeah. Now he was one of the best drivers, with incredible pace and deserving world champion.
    Vettel disagrees with you:

https://www.grandprix247.com/2017/08...-the-best-car/

Don't really get your last point, I've always rated Nico's ability supremely high and alway stated I felt he was good for a championship or two. Just always felt, and still do, that he didn't have to cheat to achieve it and he did that last year.

11. Likes: truefan72 (24th November 2017)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I have to agree to a point with Zako

I mean Red Bull seemed dominant but Webber was not often close to the title fight. Maybe 2010.

Was that because Vettel got everything out of it or Webber was average? Hard to know.

Mercedes have been dominant 14-16.

This year there have been at least 6 races where in race set up the Mercedes were not the fastest car.

I think this is Hamiltons best Mercedes title. Close to 2008 levels.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk
    I agree, the Vettel-Webber battle was not quite as close as the Hamilton-Rosberg battle. At least Rosberg won one of the Championship to show how really good he was. I felt Vettel had not come up against the sort of opposition that Hamilton presented in a car like Mercedes and he clearly was very frustrated with the immense and relentless opposition that transpired. He finally met a worthy opponent in an equally but sometimes inferior car. Vettel would be better prepared in 2018.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    indeed
    Tito Vilanova = :champion: