Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mexico '17

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
    The move on Hamilton's rear wheel looked deliberate. It was glaringly obvious to me. I am not shocked though, it happens so often throughout the field. I am humble however, and would change my mind if an F1 driver gave a different opinion of the onboard footage. Reducing the front wing size may reduce these occurrences. I did love the old style front wing.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    My respect for Hamilton has grown. As some people have said many times, he has driven flawlessly this season (and many previous seasons too), and never put his foot wrong. Vettel, on the other had, has put his foot wrong many times and lost his usual cool as he saw the season unravel for him starting in Azerbaijan. Hamilton had many ups and downs in his career, many challenges, and even painful losses. This must have made him a well-rounded person not only on the race track and but outside of the track as well.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    When it comes to putting blame on Vettel for the first lap incidents, unlike others, I think Vettel probably deserved to be punished for trying to run Verstappen off the track in the first turns of the race. Verstappen's car was already completely even with Vettel when their wheels touched, which means that Vettel had no right to follow his "racing line" and try to push the opponent off the track. Moreover, if you look at the cars that followed Vettel at the time of the wheel contact with Verstappen, their racing line was not even the same as Vettel's. So Vettel got out of his way trying to block or push Verstappen. Vettel wasn't following a normal "racing line". It didn't work, and then Vettel is startled that he is losing position not only to Verstappen but also to Hamilton. The cause of the contact with Hamilton was less clear to me. It might have been unintentional.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    When it comes to putting blame on Vettel for the first lap incidents, unlike others, I think Vettel probably deserved to be punished for trying to run Verstappen off the track in the first turns of the race. Verstappen's car was already completely even with Vettel when their wheels touched, which means that Vettel had no right to follow his "racing line" and try to push the opponent off the track. Moreover, if you look at the cars that followed Vettel at the time of the wheel contact with Verstappen, their racing line was not even the same as Vettel's. So Vettel got out of his way trying to block or push Verstappen. Vettel wasn't following a normal "racing line". It didn't work, and then Vettel is startled that he is losing position not only to Verstappen but also to Hamilton. The cause of the contact with Hamilton was less clear to me. It might have been unintentional.
    I was watching Fox sports earlier and they were inclined to go along the lines of well nobody knows if Vettel hit Hamilton intentionally but what we do know is that he had damage to his front wing from Verstappen turn 2 at that stage and probably realised he would have to pit anyway so only chance of the championship then was to try and take Hamilton out. This is along the reporting lines I want to see. F1 reporters are not great in general, especially when it comes to asking the hard questions that need to be asked. I think this is what he did. Vettel is too good a driver to accidentally hit Hamilton from there. It just clearly shows the lack of punishment from Baku has had the exact affect we thought or lack of affect.

Anyway, he got his comeuppance and lost the championship. It's just a shame we have such a bunch of gutless stewards, confounded by equally gutless Sky commentators (that is if you're stuck with Sky) whom are just as happy to brush everything under the rug. The overtake on Massa being the other obvious choice. Were that another car without the prancing horse on the side I'd imagine a penalty would have been in order.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 3rd November 2017 at 19:47.

5. Likes: Warriwa (6th November 2017)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    I didn't watch the race. I wasn't going to bother with the "highlights". But I read TBK and truefan's opinion of what happened with Hamilton/Vettel on the first lap. So since I'm many times more intelligent than both of them put together, and objective in my opinion. I thought I'd have a look myself.

Sure enough. These two "Mensa graduates" exaggerate the intention of Vettel's actions. Like with anything Rosberg did. These two wouldn't be happy unless Vettel was sentenced to death.

I would agree that Vettel is responsible for the contact, as he was behind. But I don't think it was cynical. Just a faint misjudgement.

If these guys were fair dinkum motorsport fans. They, like me, should be annoyed that such minor contact could have such a significant effect. They should be annoyed that the wings are the way the are. It wasn't a big deal.

It should be noted that it appeared that Verstappen passed Vettel in those first two corners by completely driving off the track. I can't say for certain. But it does look that way.
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 7th November 2017 at 04:47.