Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55

Thread: Mexico '17

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,171
    Like
    51
    Liked 247 Times in 186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    I like F1, Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso and everyone really and believe I have no bias and I don't see it anything like you say.

    I also fully admit to being fairly harsh with penalties and that stuff. I fully understand why a driver may do the Schumacher/Senna type of thing in a Championship fight. So I can not be called naive. However I dont see that here. Sorry
    I respect that. You have your opinion, I have mine!

  2. Likes: steveaki13 (29th October 2017)
  3. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    180
    Like
    5
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    If he did then fair play and it didnt work. I am hard to shock.

    However after contact with Max he clumped the inside kerb and could have had the back end step out as he hit the ground.

    We can all give our opinion. Only Vettel knows. Everyone stating fact at me in this argument only have an opinion. No more or less valued than mine.
    "Fair play"? The sport is "auto racing" on a global scale, not bumper cars at your local fair; nor figure eights at your local short track on Saturday nights.

    'Didn't work? I could have sworn I saw his wing contact Lewis' right rear and Lewis pitting for replacement...what do I know?

    It doesn't take two corrections to stop a step-out. (I didn't see Vettel sideways in the in-car; he just jogged the wheel to the left twice while accelerating)

    I didn't give an opinion, just an observation. I couldn't care less who wins, I was only a fan of my screennamesake, none since.
    Last edited by jimclark; 29th October 2017 at 23:17.
    "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..." jimclark

  4. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,171
    Like
    51
    Liked 247 Times in 186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
    "Fair play"? The sport is "auto racing" on a global scale, not bumper cars at your local fair; nor figure eights at your local short track on Saturday nights.

    'Didn't work? I could have sworn I saw his wing contact Lewis' right rear and Lewis pitting for replacement...what do I know?

    It doesn't take two corrections to stop a step-out. (I didn't see Vettel sideways in the in-car; he just jogged the wheel to the left twice while accelerating)

    I didn't give an opinion, just an observation. I could care less who wins, I was only a fan of my screennamesake, none since.
    And if you’re under steering there you don’t steer into it, you steer to the right in that situation not left. The car wasn’t out of control either. A four time wdc doesn’t do that by mistake.

  5. Likes: jimclark (29th October 2017)
  6. #44
    Senior Member steveaki13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,379
    Like
    673
    Liked 589 Times in 460 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
    "Fair play"? The sport is "auto racing" on a global scale, not bumper cars at your local fair; nor figure eights at your local short track on Saturday nights.

    'Didn't work? I could have sworn I saw his wing contact Lewis' right rear and Lewis pitting for replacement...what do I know?

    It doesn't take two corrections to stop a step-out. (I didn't see Vettel sideways in the in-car; he just jogged the wheel to the left twice while accelerating)

    I didn't give an opinion, just an observation. I couldn't care less who wins, I was only a fan of my screennamesake, none since.
    I have never agreed that motorsport is non contact. You run the risk if you do make contact but its your risk to take. I assume you have heard the phrase fair play used in the way I did rather than fair play on track?

    It didnt work because Vettel needed to stop Lewis and still win the race. That is quite hard to make work and that is why I dont think he did it on purpose. Thus it didn't work.

    I have never driven an F1 car and so couldn't comment on how Vettel should control an F1 car coming off a kerb.
    Its not crashing it's drifting with style

  7. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    180
    Like
    5
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    (A) I have never agreed that motorsport is non contact. (B) You run the risk if you do make contact but its your risk to take. (C) I assume you have heard the phrase fair play used in the way I did rather than fair play on track?

    (D) It didnt work because Vettel needed to stop Lewis and still win the race. That is quite hard to make work and that is why I dont think he did it on purpose. Thus it didn't work.

    (E) I have never driven an F1 car and so couldn't comment on how Vettel should control an F1 car coming off a kerb.
    (A) 'Never said you did.
    (B) Yes, accidental contact, not intentional.
    (C) No I sure haven't. I only know one kind.
    (D) It did work, he made contact and cut his tire. If Vettel won and Ham finished lower than 5th (iirc) the championship was still open. I'm not going to figure other permutations.
    (E) I haven't either but have raced. 'Not important, as being a fan, I learned how things worked long before I ever drove a car period. The physics remain the same for all rear wheel drive vehicles.

    All's well.
    "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..." jimclark

  8. #46
    Senior Member N. Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodridge, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    3,716
    Like
    115
    Liked 245 Times in 174 Posts
    The incident is what it is. They both tried for a position and lost out.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

  9. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    To the right of the left
    Posts
    3,584
    Like
    3
    Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    The incident is what it is. They both tried for a position and lost out.
    The position was already decided for the moment when front wing to tire contact was made.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

  10. Likes: jimclark (30th October 2017),truefan72 (30th October 2017)
  11. #48
    Senior Member Duncan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oregon, US
    Posts
    220
    Like
    248
    Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
    I wouldn't go so far as to say the contact at T3 was deliberate on Vettel's part, but I wouldn't dismiss it as just a "racing incident" either. Hamilton had already completed the pass, there was 0% overlap between the cars going in to T3, and Vettel hit the back of Hamilton, cutting his tire. In almost any other circumstance, considering that it took Hamilton out of contention, that would have merited a penalty for causing a collision.

    I don't put the failure to investigate down to any "Ferrari Assistance Institute" bias, but rather there has definitely been a strong theme in the stewarding this season of wanting to force the title fight to the last race of the season at all costs. I find it hard to dismiss this as a factor in today's race.

    Either way, season over and well earned WDC for Hamilton.

    Just personally, I think it was all over in Baku. The expression on Hamilton's face while he was standing in the pits during the red flag period right after the infamous collision was very telling. He wasn't upset, at all. In fact, he could barely contain his excitement at the fact that he had just got to Vettel and pushed him over the edge. I don't mean this as a criticism - far from it - mind games are an important part of any sport and I personally think Hamilton is much better at it than he's generally given credit for. Vettel's psyche has been more than a little brittle this season and Hamilton has exploited it to his advantage.

  12. Likes: truefan72 (30th October 2017)
  13. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oradea
    Posts
    2,545
    Like
    69
    Liked 105 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Yeah he did. I saw it straight away. It was clearly intentionally done. Yet, Stewards bottle it once more. Incredible really, and such an obvious display of bias towards helping Ferrari.

    Anyway, it didn't work for the cheating little runt. Never has a driver deserved to lose a championship more than Vettel has this year.

    Hamilton I think drove better this year than any other. I don't believe this was the best overall car this year. Even Vettel stated he felt Ferrari was the best car this year.Hamilton made the difference. It just shows how good he is. The only driver in a long time to win with the second best car. Awesome driver! Terrific etiquette and a truly great sportsman.
    I believe you when you say you saw it straight away. You'd be more credible if you hadn't. Hitting intentionally another driver with your front wing seems like a very stupid thing to do. Hitting him when you need to finish more than your opponent is even dumber.

    It's the same thing every year. The Hamilton against evil F1. FIA is evil. Vettel is evil, replacing Rosberg as Satan in the Hamilton movie. Bottas is Hamilton's sh1tty assistant. Mercedes is not up to the standards (a team that won 4 championships in a raw ). Of course, the mercedes car was the second best, to the glory of the driver who wins championships despite the 'inferior' equipment.

    This is just silly.

  14. Likes: gm99 (30th October 2017),steveaki13 (30th October 2017)
  15. #50
    Senior Member N. Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodridge, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    3,716
    Like
    115
    Liked 245 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    The position was already decided for the moment when front wing to tire contact was made.
    It may have been but they still fought for it. I don't think any one driver was at fault.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •