Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Austin '17

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Damn. Max is getting penalized for a brave pass. Tough. Vettel should have nothing to say since kimi let him waltz bye.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Well you all got your wish, now they're enforcing track limits, after the race has finished.

That is a good post race crowd

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Good race. A shame about Max penalty. I have always been a very hands off penalties person (look at any previous posts over the years) so really hate the stewards and rules being so harsh. I always say and have always said gravel off track (or bumps) means you have to stay on the race track.

Anyway decent race and good effort from Verstappen. 16th to 3rd (4th) is fantastic and he was feisty all day
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

5. Likes: Duncan (22nd October 2017),truefan72 (22nd October 2017)
    I actually do think the penalty for max was unduly harsh. just before he tried to pass bottas and bottas went off the track and came on, necessitating verstappen to reset and pass him later in the lap. nothing was done about that and nothing should have been done with his pass to kimi.
    you can't argue with results.

7. Likes: steveaki13 (23rd October 2017)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Damn. Max is getting penalized for a brave pass. Tough. Vettel should have nothing to say since kimi let him waltz bye.
    Once again idiotic inconsistency by the Stewards and Charlie. Cars running wide all race and nothing done to them, then Max gets a penalty. It's the inconsistency of all this that gets on my tits.

I'll say it again, Charlie needs to go and the whole Stewarding system needs to be rethought out as at the moment it very much is not working.

Congratulations to Mercedes - thoroughly deserved win. Amazing team with one of the best ever drivers at the helm. Hamilton should be WDC by this time next week barring some weird force of nature.

My driver of the day is Sainz. Had a great reault of 7th after an awful start. Bet he'll get a podium before Hulkenberg 😂😂😂
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 22nd October 2017 at 23:44.

9. Likes: Duncan (22nd October 2017),mr_swiss (23rd October 2017),zako85 (23rd October 2017)
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Impressive drive by Hamilton. Bottas couldn't do anything with the same car...
    Vettel stays alive, but barring 3 wins for him and 3 DNFs from Hamilton it's pretty much all over at this point.

Amazing drive from Max, and also from Sainz. Interesting that with all the talk about what a great driver Hulk is, Sainz showed the kind of form he did today in his first outing in the car. Sainz > Hulk >> Palmer. Next season should be interesting if Renault can fix their reliability issues.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Another tidy job by Ocon, 16 points finishes out of 17 races for him.

Lewis is 66 points ahead with 75 on the table now, all but home and dry.

Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    Overall a good race, and plenty of good clean side by side stuff as well as some longer term battles through the field.

I'm still not sure why the late stops opted for Super Softs rather than the Ultra Softs, but then again I don't have piles of data when watching. Great charge by Max through the field, it was amazing how quick he was in the top half of the pack. In the end, the penalty was fair, but with another lap or two he would have had Kimi and maybe Seb as well.

Good to see Sainz do so well in the new ride, and I think his potential will show much greater in the Renault. The usual whining by Perez even though he continued after Ocon got by and Kvyatt was hounding him. Bottas is still struggling to keep the pace up on certain tracks, but for a change it looked like Kimi might have actually had pace on Seb over the race distance. Shame for Ricciardo to have the engine let go, as I think he was still in the hunt for a podium possibly.

The power advantage of the Mercedes still seems there, but Lewis is getting a lot more out of the car in the handling. That good start by Seb was really just a delay to the inevitable IMO. Lewis has been on a charge and driving solid, and lately getting more out of the car than it seems like it has in it. Barring any multiple DNF scenario, the title is over with IMO. But Mercedes made the car great again this year, and Lewis pulls everything out when it matters, so good on them both.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    I'm not that sure Verstappen's penalty was undeserved. In the last 3 corners before overtaking he was more off track than on it. In the last 2 it looked like he went off track with all wheels, and the one before that he was like over 90% off track. I love a sensational finish like everyone else but I don't want it any cost. I agree with the idea that they should just put gravel traps and drivers will make more of an effort to avoid cheating. Right now the temptation to push the boundaries of the track is just too big. On one hand there's the pressure that others might be doing it too and on the other there's no damage going off track
    Last edited by Big Ben; 23rd October 2017 at 09:06.

14. Likes: Mia 01 (24th October 2017),N4D13 (23rd October 2017)