Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    He must be really in the running , though , to warrant more seat time .

I would expect , if he really still has it , to see some comparative times this time at least .
    I'm guessing they can't hide them at a tire test .

If he is still quick , then this will be all about fishing for sponsorship .
    And that should be easy as Polish pie .

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    I can't think of anyone else who could go there. I know Wherlein is a talent but he hasn't done much with Sauber.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driveace View Post
    Dont think DiResta is the man His day has gone OK he stepped in at last moment at Williams ,but although the car isnt the best out there I thought his performance was at best mediocre and he didnt finish
    I rate Anthony Davidson better (Slightly) and a lot nicer person too.
    But hey guys at Williams its got to be Kubica or some young hungry guy who can take the car by the horns and drive the bloody thing .Lance has beaten Filipe and Stefal has beaten Fernando so all these older guys are beatable
    To be honest, in this era where the young guns are proving to be just as competitive as seasoned drivers, l think both Di Resta and Davidson are past it as well. Really, Werhlein would be a better option. As he brings a couple of years of experience and would definitely give Stroll the desired competition that he needs to improve. That said, l like the fairytale of a Kubica return. But it also leaves me with some trepidation that if it goes wrong, it could destroy all he had accomplished previously. Besides, it is a huge risk that Williams is taking in the face of very stiff competition. Especially since they have drifted from 3rd to 5th in the constructors championship. There is the risk of losing sponsors and loss of points if the project fails to deliver on its promise.

One thing that most people would say is that Kubica would not be anywhere as good as he was, in his BMW days. And there are two reasons for that; one he is slightly physically handicapped but mobile enough to do a full race distance at a competitive pace. Can he sustain that for a 21 race season you ask; which is alot more races in a single season than he has ever experienced? Secondly, he has been out for racing for more than five years. There is one thing driving a car fast around a track, there is the other of doing battle with other race on the track on race day. That said for those of us who have actually seen Kubica race, we would be certain that the second point would not be a problem. The real doubt is whether he can do a 21 race season in his present state. That, nobody really knows. And this is where the real risk lies for the Williams team.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 26th November 2017 at 19:56.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    What surprises me is that apparently some people at Williams seriously think that a fine racer can still come back into F1 after a seven year break. Have there been any precedents like this?

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Have there been any precedents like this?
    Luca Badoer in 2009?
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Not F1, but Emmo when CART was very close to F1.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Luca Badoer in 2009?
    Luca's return was not for a full season as is the case for Kubica. He replaced the injured Massa at Ferrari part way through the season after 10 years out of F1. His performance on his return was markly less than he was able to manage 10 years previous. Also he was not returning from a career threatening injury as is the case for Kubica. Kubica's case is very unique. Only triple world champion Nikki Lauda return after his horrific burns to his head to race with his sores still raw comes close. Lauda returned almost as soon as he was remotely able, not several years as the Kubica case.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Luca's return was not for a full season as is the case for Kubica. He replaced the injured Massa at Ferrari part way through the season after 10 years out of F1. His performance on his return was markly less than he was able to manage 10 years previous. Also he was not returning from a career threatening injury as is the case for Kubica. Kubica's case is very unique. Only triple world champion Nikki Lauda return after his horrific burns to his head to race with his sores still raw comes close. Lauda returned almost as soon as he was remotely able, not several years as the Kubica case.
    I do know this. I was just messing around.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

9. Likes: Tazio (28th November 2017)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    If Williams keep Di Resta (or even Wehrlein) as a reserve driver with reasonable seat time (e.g. doing FP1s on a regular basis) who could step in if Kubica can't cope, the risk is probably manageable, as they are unlikely to compete for the drivers' championship anyway.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    If Williams keep Di Resta (or even Wehrlein) as a reserve driver with reasonable seat time (e.g. doing FP1s on a regular basis) who could step in if Kubica can't cope, the risk is probably manageable, as they are unlikely to compete for the drivers' championship anyway.
    BHe has done very well in the tyre test in Abu Dhabi. I think it is a done deal. And goodluck to the man. I am really looking forward to 2018 now to see what he woiuld bring to the grid.
    William Shakespeare