Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts

Curious Kubica conundrum

Could be that Robert has a snag on the comeback trail , as his insurance , apparently based on his not being able to drive in F1 , was paid out some time ago .
    I read he was offered a Torro Rosso ride in Austin , but a one-off drive would have triggered a potential need to repay those insurance folk , thus was not worth it , even though the chance to show well might have lead to more potential for offers .

A comment after the article summed it up well when they called it a paradox , that he was still being hampered by his injuries , as they were the reason for the payout , and that was the reason for not driving .

I have no idea what the payout was , but it raises the question of whether a real contract would mean his wages would be garnished(if that's the proper word) , although it would likely just be covered by a sponsor , I'd guess .

Curious situation .

Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    If he gets a regular seat for like Williams, his contract would absorb the payback for payouts. (The attorney comes with the contract) However I think Kube is in his own right a pretty cool shark, but I think he just really wants back in, and only being, say "modestly rich". I like him because he has always been anti-establishment.
    I hope he drives F1 again, but their are a lot of good boys out there right now!
    May the forza be with you

3. Likes: truefan72 (12th October 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    If he gets a regular seat for like Williams, his contract would absorb the payback for payouts. (The attorney comes with the contract) However I think Kube is in his own right a pretty cool shark, but I think he just really wants back in, and only being, say "modestly rich". I like him because he has always been anti-establishment.
    I hope he drives F1 again, but their are a lot of good boys out there right now!
    It would be the "Cinderella story" for sure , with a comeback like that .
    To come that close to losing an arm , and make it back in would be amazingly inspirational , if even to merit a test isn't good enough .

To be honest , with all the hoo haw that went on with him taking Jacques's seat , way back when , I never really warmed to him , but I did recognize the talent .

He's got to really show his worth here , though , as Williams needs someone truly fast , as well as a good mentor for the young protege .
    Being "Cinderella" won't be enough on it's own .

I'm sure , like you say , the details could be worked out , if a contract is offered .
    I sincerely hope he's quick enough still , as it would be a real press bonanza , and a real shot in the arm for team Willy .

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I have a lot of sympathy for Kubica but I can't also help but feel that his injuries are his own fault. He should not have been rallying and knew the risks. As much as I would love to see him back in a F1 car, there is also part of me that feels he had his chance and he blew it knowing the risks he was taking by participating in a rallying event.

Personally I'd rather see Di Resta in the car as I think he deserves it more. And there is no knowing whether Kubica's arm could hold up to a full season of intense racing.

Paul acquitted himself well whilst filling in at a moment's notice , to be sure , and would come with fans as well , so would also be a good choice , but if they are close or equal , it will be a hard one , with Robert's story .

You're right about the intensity of the season , though .
    Whether a week between races at a few points in the season would be enough recovery time would only be a question that could be answered by a season in the seat , and that's certainly a risk .
    Having Di Resta as back up to that might be of interest , if Paul would agree .

If Robert isn't up to it , perhaps it could be argued that he didn't fulfill the entire contract , and thus , the insurance doesn't need paying back .
    If Williams didn't pay him , then they both win if he doesn't , in a sense .

It all becomes a no-risk try-out , because Willy gets a driver cheap , with that cash into development , and Robert gets a drive to showcase himself .
    If it all goes well , all"s good , and if Kubica can't cut it , in comes Di Resta to stay for a longer contract perhaps .

It could work , or they could get Massa to stay , and keep the continuity .
    Mind you , I get the feeling that there a little tension between Felipe and Lance at times , so it might be that replacing him could be the right thing to do .
    I think either Paul or Robert would be at least equal , but likely better in the mentor role for Lance .

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Dont think DiResta is the man His day has gone OK he stepped in at last moment at Williams ,but although the car isnt the best out there I thought his performance was at best mediocre and he didnt finish
    I rate Anthony Davidson better (Slightly) and a lot nicer person too.
    But hey guys at Williams its got to be Kubica or some young hungry guy who can take the car by the horns and drive the bloody thing .Lance has beaten Filipe and Stefal has beaten Fernando so all these older guys are beatable

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    I would like to see Kubica come back but is it too late at this stage? I can't see him coming right back with the performances he put in with BMW.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    How embarrassing can Massa be, raising doubts about Kubica's physical ability. That's his best argument why he should get a seat at Williams next year? What happened with his pathetic retirement? If there's one driver that overstayed his welcome in F1 that's Massa. That whining little moron should have got the boot a long time ago

Just read a report saying that Kubica has the seat at team Willy .
    Don't know if it's true , but it's said to come from Canal+ .

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Baggy- I was hopeful but it looks like it's not true with Williams denying it according to..

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.tim...8%3fsource=dam