Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Thumbs up ESPN acquires US television rights for Formula 1 from 2018

ESPN acquires US television rights for Formula 1

I don't know what the chances are that NBCSN's broadcast team will jump over to ESPN, but if the guys don't, then this will be a day that will live in infamy.

Crap!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

2. Likes: airshifter (22nd October 2017),truefan72 (4th October 2017)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    ESPN acquires US television rights for Formula 1

I don't know what the chances are that NBCSN's broadcast team will jump over to ESPN, but if the guys don't, then this will be a day that will live in infamy.

Crap!
    There is a good chance that they will move to ESPN. Just makes too much sense

As to the move itself...On race day, probably a good move with less commercials etc.
    But i need to see how they manage FP1,2,3 and Qualy as well as the online content etc., before blessing this move
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Knowing ESPN's past history I expect less coverage, more commercials, and odd show times. This is definitely NOT an upgrade.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    This is the critical line:

NBC Sports Group had the F1 rights since 2013, but said it “chose not to enter into a new agreement in which the rights holder itself competes with us and our distribution partners.”
    Apparently Liberty Media is planning an online offering, and NBC wouldn't renew knowing that they would have to compete with it. This is what I was hoping would happen, actually; even though the online service will cost money, if they do a half decent job it should be a big improvement. There's a vast amount of footage coming from the race, most of which doesn't get seen because everything has to be squeezed into a single world feed. Hopefully, the online service will provide access to a much greater range of content.

I know not everybody will like this, but hopefully a free to air version will persist.

6. Likes: Koz (7th October 2017)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    It's probably a good thing because NBC's coverage already has way too many commercials. Sometimes they run a group of commercials after every three laps of the race, as if trying to make up for a certain number of commercial breaks per show.

8. Likes: truefan72 (5th October 2017)
    Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    Yes, NBCSN's commercials are so bad I usually watch the Univision broadcast!
    I think this is a crap move because ESPN loves to do more talking than showing sports.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Yes, NBCSN's commercials are so bad I usually watch the Univision broadcast!
    I think this is a crap move because ESPN loves to do more talking than showing sports.
    They can talk as much as they want before and after the race. I would be fine with that.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    I believe Joe Saward mentioned that they would be carrying the Sky feed .

It sounds as though NBC weren't happy with it not being an exclusive offer any more , which sounds to me like Liberty will offer a stream or two at the same time .

It makes sense , because they have a slick package with Sky , so why not just sell it on to ABC , who don't have to do squat but slot it in .
    Then , add all the extras , advertised on TV , to the stream on line .

So , you play it when the fanatic needs it , at race time .
    If that's at stupid o'clock for N. Americans , you replay at a better time , not opposite a big game , so Joe Average can watch it .

The real fan(with cash , the ideal customer) gets the race twice , with added streams .

Remember , we're talkin' about "the Mouse"(Disney) here .

12. Likes: truefan72 (5th October 2017)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    hmm interesting.
    So if they take the sky stream, that would be a plus.
    Also if, as a few mentioned, F1 comes out with an online package themselves. then that might be worth the money to get uninterrupted sessions and the race, along with extra onboards, etc.
    it depends on the price point though. NBC did show FP1 online,2 Broadcast and 3 online and Qualy and the race on Broadcast and online. But it the commercials were too much and hunt to find races on cnbc or nbcsc etc. were bothersome. But I do believe that the online package from Liberty appeals to a different crowd than the cable package NBC or now ESPN would offer.

At the end of the day it comes down to developing and offering a compelling package that would draw people in and keep them there. NBC only got it half right and certainly could have done more.
    Despite what people think the US is still a fairly huge market for F1. If you look at the viewer numbers rather than percentages, it still makes it a large market and one worth investing in.

We shall see
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Yes, NBCSN's commercials are so bad I usually watch the Univision broadcast!...
    Ditto. Even if Dismal Disney (because that's ESPN) actually did start off well, there is no way it would operate without non-stop nonsense of commerciaism. Especially since it is a sinking ship anyways with regards to other sports. I fail to see where it would be any different with any form of motor racing whatsoever.

I may only understand 1/10th of what's being said but that's fine since I am tuned in to watch the races, instead of the listening to the babble that most reporters offer these days.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

15. Likes: N. Jones (9th October 2017)