Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Knowing ESPN's past history I expect less coverage, more commercials, and odd show times. This is definitely NOT an upgrade.
    Back in the CART days, I well remember having to keep a piece of cardboard beside my TV when the races were shown tape delayed. Why? Do you remember how ESPN2 would run the results of the race WHILE you were watching the race?! I would tape the cardboard to the bottom of my TV set to block any results that the doofuses would scroll across during the race. I well remember CART races being joined late, preempted by little league baseball and girl's high school soccer. I remember the coverage ending as soon as the winner crossed the finish line. I have nightmares of the ESPeeN F1 team being Scott "Snoozy" Goodyear (taking Diffey's place), Eddie "Backmarker" Cheever (taking Hobbs' place as the F1 driving "expert") and Danica "The Brand" Patrick (taking Matchett's place as the technical analyst - I think she knows what a steering wheel is... since I doubt she'll be real busy next year). Bad memories mean very low expectations for the future under the gang at Disney. Of all the outlets, ABC/ESPN is my least favorite for motorsports. Other than bouncing channels during broadcasts, I think that Fox does well. I'm OK with CBS for the most part. But from NHRA to NASCAR to everything else I've watched, I have a long, deep hatred for the motorsports coverage on ABC/ESPN. IMO, they put the "S" in suck.

I dislike the myriad of commercials on NBCSN too. Even their app has unavoidable and VERY long commercials on it. But other than Speedvision/Speed Channel, NBCSN has been my favorite F1 outlet over the years.

If the Mouse House does give us the Sky coverage, from what people say about it, I guess that would be the best hope that we have. And I will certainly sign up for whatever Liberty offers, assuming the price isn't crazy. My main thing is I need to be able to watch by way of a DVR or on-demand. I've been unable to watch live races for years.
    Last edited by Jag_Warrior; 9th October 2017 at 18:49.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Be calm , Jag , I know what you're talking about , and your life , in F1 terms is about to change dramatically , as you'll be greatly impressed with the Sky coverage .
    They are at every race , doing a lot of wandering around , bumping into grid folk , asking often uncomfortable questions .
    They have a good amount of detailed analysis as well , so you get a little added insight .

I do hope the mouse stays out of the broadcast for you , but perhaps produces an F1 movie or two in the background to get the ball really rolling in the US .
    Then just add another race or two and you'd have what Bernie wanted and couldn't get done .

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    AS long as they broadcast the races the rest really doesn't make much difference to me, as I have Univision to switch to during the commercials. Now If you take away Univision to fall back on I will get all pissed off!
    May the forza be with you

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    Being OTA here, it looks like I will only see U.S. and Mexico. NBC carried those as well as Canada and Monaco.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

I'd love to hear more about the digital offerings from Liberty that are rumored to be in the cards for next year. Some sort of "on demand" offering would be great.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Sounds like the NBCSports F1 crew's services will not be picked up by ESPN, and David Hobbs has chosen to retire.

NBC Sports commentator David Hobbs’ broadcasting career essentially is being forcibly ended, as ESPN has secured the rights to air Formula One races starting in 2018. But that’s been a tough pill to swallow. Ahead of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Hobbs said he’s upset that the switch to ESPN means he won’t get to sign off on his own terms, but he’s more bothered by the reason Liberty Media chose to sign a multi-year deal with the network, according to RACER. “It’s a bit galling that my last show is not me retiring, but me being retired,” Hobbs said. “If ESPN or anybody had come along and outbid NBC in a rights war, and we were pushed out by a clearly superior team and deal, that would be one thing. You could say, ‘OK, I guess the best guy’s won.’ But the deal they’ve got is horrible.” Although NBC has had a three-man team of Hobbs, Leigh Diffey and Steve Matchett call every race — apart from the United States, Monaco and Abu Dhabi — from its studio in Stamford, Conn., and only has sent pit lane reporter Will Buxton to provide on-site analysis, ESPN reportedly won’t even do that. Instead, it simply will air the F1 world feed. “They’re not paying any rights fees, they aren’t having any studio shows so there aren’t any production costs,” Hobbs told RACER. “It’s meant to be a generic (broadcast) team from across the ocean. That is irritating, that we’re being ousted by what will be an inferior show. To be pushed out by a pathetic deal, including for the viewer, is sad.” Hobbs expects Sunday’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to be emotional for him, given that he’s been commentating “as Leigh’s been alive, and Steve would have been eight when I did my first show.”

7. Likes: truefan72 (29th November 2017)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Sounds like the NBCSports F1 crew's services will not be picked up by ESPN, and David Hobbs has chosen to retire.
    And exactly who is surprised by anything that ESPN does? They've been laying off people at an alarming rate for a year now. I'm surprised they had any cash to bid with at all.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Also, let's not forget the history here. ESPN bought the old SPEED channel (formerly Speedvision) and turned it into NASCAR tv with 24-7 NASCAR. They killed all of the other racing programing, including Dave Despain's very well regarded show. That's how F1 and IndyCar wound up at NBCSN. Now that NASCAR isn't nearly as hot as it was they've got huge gaps to fill. It's no surprise they are going to do this on the cheap. That's pretty much how they do everything these days. Personally I give them maybe two years before they fold or sell out. They've got too many over priced contracts and not enough viewers.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

10. Likes: truefan72 (29th November 2017)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    its is really a shame. I suppose they will pick up the Sky F1 coverage. But i suspect they wont be showing any pre/post race and or FP1,2 &3 , and I'm not sure qualy is even on the books.
    ESPN sucks and has been for years now. Back in the day i used to watch sportscenter and later on occasionally espn news (because that is really just what i wanted a good roundup of the sports highlights without the excessive showmanship.) The NBA and college football/basketball is about the only thing left they do right. But motor sports they never did nor seemed all that interested in giving it its due. They ruined speedtv and are probably going to do more harm than good to F1 in this market.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    American broadcaster ESPN has confirmed that its Formula 1 qualifying and race broadcasts will now be commercial-free in 2018.

Following an Australian Grand Prix debut that resulted in a chorus of abuse from fans about the quality of its telecasts, which featured multiple advertising breaks, ESPN has responded to the criticism and ran commercial-free in Bahrain at the weekend.
    It has since pledged to continue this for the rest of the season.
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/e...casts-1024704/
    Reasonably righteous I'd say!
    May the forza be with you

13. Likes: truefan72 (14th April 2018)