Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Well I'm not that fond of the Sky coverage at all so far. The on screen graphics and position bars are great and easy to follow, but the commentary is a bit on the easily excitable side for my preference. Combined with ESPN giving minimal coverage to what Sky feeds, overall things have been quite a bit reduced from the previous years.

As it turns out I dropped a bunch of fiber channels but retained ESPN. I'm hoping the F1 TV thing works out much better, as I'd gladly pay for something better.

2. Likes: truefan72 (14th April 2018)
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    There's not really anything wrong with the Sky coverage, and there's certainly a more of it than what we typically got with NBCSN. I mean, with NBCSN, I'd have to fire up my Roku and watch FP1 with no commentators on the app. NBC's focus was more on FP2. But anyway, mine isn't so much a complaint as just not being in love with the commentators on Sky. Too much of the time they seem to want to attempt being witty (when it's not necessary or welcome) and they banter just because they enjoy hearing themselves talk. The overall coverage is good - track coverage is great. I like that they're live at the races. I personally don't miss Will Buxton one bit (sorry, I just never liked him). But I do miss Steve Matchett and David Hobbs massively. Those were guys who I always thought it would be so cool to sit down and watch a race with. I just haven't warmed up to the Sky crew in that way yet.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I hate to quote myself, but after last weekends race, I have to say this again:

and they banter just because they enjoy hearing themselves talk.
    Thank goodness for Anthony Davidson. I enjoyed his presence and input. But the rest of them... I felt like I was listening to a bunch of old hens rattle on about nothing. I'm definitely going to search for another way to watch the coverage by next season.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    The French GP coverage had no commercial interruptions! I like.

Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    Luckily Mother's products pays in the US for commercial free coverage of every Grand Prix (at least after the disaster of the first telecast)
    "Wives live longer than husbands, because they are not married to women" Colin Mochrie - "Whose Line is it anyway?" - The funniest TV show on earth!

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    There's not really anything wrong with the Sky coverage, and there's certainly a more of it than what we typically got with NBCSN. I mean, with NBCSN, I'd have to fire up my Roku and watch FP1 with no commentators on the app. NBC's focus was more on FP2. But anyway, mine isn't so much a complaint as just not being in love with the commentators on Sky. Too much of the time they seem to want to attempt being witty (when it's not necessary or welcome) and they banter just because they enjoy hearing themselves talk. The overall coverage is good - track coverage is great. I like that they're live at the races. I personally don't miss Will Buxton one bit (sorry, I just never liked him). But I do miss Steve Matchett and David Hobbs massively. Those were guys who I always thought it would be so cool to sit down and watch a race with. I just haven't warmed up to the Sky crew in that way yet.
    I'd pay just to have the Sky feed with Matchett and Hobbs back on commentary. As for Buxton, I always got the impression he is a well connected guy with a lot of facts, but seemed to lack much passion about the whole picture. Brundle is what kills the current coverage for me. I mostly enjoy the input by the others, and the post race stuff is usually good as well.