Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Nice theory Seems unlikely though... there was some movement from Stroll involved in the collision, which Vettel couldn't have anticipated.
    All I saw was a shot of Stroll ahead , then a shot of Vettel without his left rear attached , which implies that he passed Lance , then either Stroll accelerated into him , or he slowed down .
    Have you seen any replay of the incident ?

I've just read that the box is fine , and all is well , so the "Great Gearbox Gambit" seems to be a no go .

Good rehearsal for a play in the future , though .

And , I'd still like to see a replay .

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    New conspiracy theory out has it that Vettel caused the post-race incident with Stroll to be able to circumvent being penalized for changing out his gearbox for the next race .

Times for Seb in the last few laps went up 5 seconds , leading thought that they were nursing it to the end .

Strange that there doesn't seem to be any video of the actual incident .

Plausible theory , but it would have taken some quick thinking from either Seb or his team to come up with the idea at that moment , so it , perhaps , would have had to be an idea they talked about in advance .

Good gambit , if it was indeed that , as it seems there will be no punishment for either for the incident , and special dispensation for a new box for Suzuka .
    I don't know about that but to me it looked like it was Vettel who clearly crashed into Stroll. I have no idea how can this be put on the Williams driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIy_U1vPK9k

the replay starts at about 1:10

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wet4dzygkTU&t=0s

this one's from another perspective. Here you can see better Stroll moving to the right but the movement looks worse because Grosjean's car moves at the same time harder to the left. Stroll could have used those mirrors more but the Vettel was a moron to try cut across like that.
    Last edited by Big Ben; 4th October 2017 at 20:31.

Read the comments after those videos(by the way , thanks for those) to see most people blame young Stroll , but I'm with you there Ben .

Most , especially after getting the Grosjean view , called for Lance to use his mirrors , but that may have actually been what he was doing , but watching Romain , who had just appeared behind him , instead of Seb .

If we look at what happened here , we see that Sebastian was in the process of making a pass on the cool down lap around the outside .

He would have known , since he was on the outside , picking up marbles , himself , that others would want to do this .
    Thus , the likelihood of Stroll , or anyone else , for that matter , at that point , was good that he'd move to the right when he thought it safe , to take advantage of those marbles .

If Lance did know he was there , he would likely have expected Seb to be out wide , in those marbles , not tightening to the inside , where Lance was , off of them .
    And , he wouldn't have expected a pass in a reasonably tight corner .
    Neither of them were at race speed , so there wasn't any danger of a slide from either .

That was another unnecessary risk that Vettel took .
    He's no rookie .

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    After seeing that view from the video Big Ben posted, I place the blame on Vettel to at least 90% or so. He makes a much bigger move than the other videos show. Trashing cars after the race can't go over really well with the team.

Overall an interesting race. I was surprised to see the RB cars so strong, but with the changes apparently the handling is making up for the power disadvantage. Max didn't waste any time at all, and it appears that the aero advantage of running up front is still fairly solid. Great clean side by side racing when Ricciardo and Bottas came together on track. As for Seb, that was a mighty charge through the pack, but at the end not much left for the front runners.

Ferrari really hurt themselves on this one. I think the car was a good package for this track, and having Kimi out after Seb's troubles really cost them a lot of points.

I'm still up in the air on Vandoorne... fluke or a sign of things to come? The guy scored points on his F1 debut, and being in a team with Fred surely makes a lot of great drivers look not so great. I'm not sure if Alonso had any issues or went more towards a wet setup, but I think this one is worth keeping an eye on.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    After seeing that view from the video Big Ben posted, I place the blame on Vettel to at least 90% or so.

I have seen that, and I don't know if I could place even 51% of blame on Vettel. If you watch the video again, after entering the left turn on the inside, Stroll starts unexpectedly going wide towards the outside of the turn, and that's when he is hit by Vettel. If only Stroll committed to the line he was already following inside the turn, none of its would have happened.

New video from Stroll's view , apparently unseen by the stewards at the time of the inquiry , has shown that Stroll was clearly turning away from a collision prior to being hit by Sebastian coming across his bow .

I haven't seen the video , myself , but rather , a bunch of stills from Lance's onboard which clearly show what happened .

The Canadian boy is absolutely not guilty in this incident .

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...crash-released

The new video that wasn't available to the stewards at the time. Clearly shows Stroll wasn't at fault. How convenient it wasn't available to the Stewards throughout their inquiry.

It was in the end a brain fart by Vettel.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...crash-released

The new video that wasn't available to the stewards at the time. Clearly shows Stroll wasn't at fault. How convenient it wasn't available to the Stewards throughout their inquiry.

It was in the end a brain fart by Vettel.
    for those (like me) outside the UK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAWMzEFksYs

Clearly Seb's fault and like you said how convenient the footage wasn't available at the time.
    I'm pretty sure it was but they just didn't want to see it simply to give Ferrari and Vettel yet another pass.
    And once again Seb takes no responsibility and absurdly rants about Stroll when he was driving way too fast in the bloody cooldown lap and rams into the Williams.
    Even if this footage was available at the time, i have zero confidence the Stewards would have done anything anyway
    "vettel promised not do do it again" would have been their reasoning for no penalty.
    you can't argue with results.