Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I still don't understand RBR's decision to replace him with Max. It may have turned out well for them but Kvyat had just had a podium, was leading Ricciardo in the points and had beaten Ricciardo the year before. The move to replace him with Max clearly devastated Kvyat's confidence and he has never recovered. I feel sorry for him and hopefully he'll get a stab at it with another team.
    And they moved him from one of the best cars on the grid to a relatively bad one that he had no experience in, paired him with a totally inexperienced race engineer (since they'd fired Max's), and put him up against a Sainz, who was very used to the car and very used to working with his very experienced engineer.

And then they say, oh boy, Sainz really demolished Kvyat, eh? I guess that means Kvyat never actually had any talent and everything that he accomplished before now (including destroying Sainz in GP3) was a fluke.

2. Likes: truefan72 (29th October 2017)
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    And they moved him from one of the best cars on the grid to a relatively bad one that he had no experience in, paired him with a totally inexperienced race engineer (since they'd fired Max's), and put him up against a Sainz, who was very used to the car and very used to working with his very experienced engineer.

And then they say, oh boy, Sainz really demolished Kvyat, eh? I guess that means Kvyat never actually had any talent and everything that he accomplished before now (including destroying Sainz in GP3) was a fluke.
    Well, that was last year. Kyvat has continued being useless this year too and he doesn't have the "new car" excuse anymore. Besides, changing to a Renault doesn't seem to have affected Sainz much, does it?

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    Will Kyvat find a drive in Formula E?

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeakiwi View Post
    Will Kyvat find a drive in Formula E?
    I think there were worse drivers than Kvyat in Formula E. Former Formula 1 drivers are prized in many international competitions like Formula E or WEC. Besides, Kvyat is the most recognized racing name in Russia, so we can assume that he can also bring sponsors with him. Seeing Kvyat in Formula E would be really interesting because in FE he could still duke it out with another Red Bull reject, Sebastian Buemi. Buemi has already built himself quite a reputation in Formula E , having been a champion once and a runner up twice.

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Well, that was last year. Kyvat has continued being useless this year too and he doesn't have the "new car" excuse anymore. Besides, changing to a Renault doesn't seem to have affected Sainz much, does it?
    Sainz finished 7th in the US and had an engine issue in Mexico. Not much to go on but I think he will be good.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Sainz finished 7th in the US and had an engine issue in Mexico. Not much to go on but I think he will be good.
    Yup. In Mexico he had a high-speed spin which I didn't get to see on TV, but I guess that'd have been his fault. Still, getting 7th place on his Renault debut while Hülkenberg and Palmer's best positions had been 6th places, when the only retirement ahead of him was Ricciardo's, is nothing to sneer about. In comparison, Palmer's 6th place at Singapore (his only points finish) came after Verstappen, Alonso and the Ferraris were taken out. And his qualifying results with Renault have been pretty solid so far.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Yup. In Mexico he had a high-speed spin which I didn't get to see on TV, but I guess that'd have been his fault. Still, getting 7th place on his Renault debut while Hülkenberg and Palmer's best positions had been 6th places, when the only retirement ahead of him was Ricciardo's, is nothing to sneer about. In comparison, Palmer's 6th place at Singapore (his only points finish) came after Verstappen, Alonso and the Ferraris were taken out. And his qualifying results with Renault have been pretty solid so far.
    Ah I didn't realise he suffered a spin in Mexico. I was wondering why he pitted and then remained last. As you say it was not seen on TV as far as I saw. It was never mentioned either by commentators here either.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Gasly and Hartley confirmed at Torro Rosso for 2018: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...n-2018-979459/

I'm not totally convinced this really is an improvement over Kvyat/Sainz.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Gasly and Hartley confirmed at Torro Rosso for 2018: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...n-2018-979459/

I'm not totally convinced this really is an improvement over Kvyat/Sainz.
    Yes Red Bull's queue of young drivers isn't what it was a few years ago.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I think RBR will live to regret dropping Kvyat. I’m not convinced by either Gasly or Hartley. And I think RBR would have promoted Gasly a lot sooner to replace Kvyat had they really had huge faith in him. Helmut may soon, deservingly, find himself in the firing line if this pairing doesn’t work out. I think he has made some bad driver decisions over the last year and a half and, if his decisions don’t work out, I don’t see why he should receive anymore faith and patience (or lack of) than that he bestows upons Red Bulls drivers.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 22nd November 2017 at 19:17.