Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine Deals

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    New details reported by Motorsport (and elsewhere) saying that Red Bull is going to be using Honda from 2019.
    That's a wild speculation, but if it turns true, it's probably because Red Bull thinks it can strong-arm Honda into allowing Red Bull engineers to develop that engine. Didn't Red Bull clash with Renault over this issue?

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    As I mentioned in a previous thread about th mclaren-honda-STR-sainz-alonso saga i really think that the Honda Engine is gonna come through and become a more than decent engine probably by next year.
    Also slooking at the singapore times, both Alonso and Vandoorne are comfortably in the top 10 of both FP1 and so far in FP2.
    So it looks like Alonso will continue his streak of missing out on a better car for whatever reason.
    I'm not saying the renault is not capable, and in the right hands (RBR) is a race winner.
    But Honda just spent 3 years working out the kinks with McLaren and now STR and RBR will repa the benefits of that development.
    Meanwhile McLaren will continue to flounder and probably look for salvation (and another development phase) when and if porsche enter F1
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Who would have believed 3 years ago that the iconic image of McLaren and Hondas partnership would be Fernando Alonso sat in a deckchair.
    Time is the enemy.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emporer_k View Post
    Who would have believed 3 years ago that the iconic image of McLaren and Hondas partnership would be Fernando Alonso sat in a deckchair.
    This reminds Porsche's disaster re-entry into F1 racing in the early 1990s. Enough has been written about that.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    That's a wild speculation, but if it turns true, it's probably because Red Bull thinks it can strong-arm Honda into allowing Red Bull engineers to develop that engine. Didn't Red Bull clash with Renault over this issue?
    I'm not so sure it's that wild... Christian Horner gave a non-denial-denial response when asked about it, and it does seem that the current supply contract with Renault (I mean, Tag Heuer) only runs through the end of next season; I'm not sure if that was already known, but Horner confirmed it.

Renault may be not so happy to extend for another two years (I'm assuming a grand reshuffle of supply contracts for the 2021 season) so... what does that leave?

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Horner had hinted that RB could run a Aston Martin badged Engine from 2020.

We will see, the game is on between Toro Rosso And MacLaren.

Mclaren might regret parting with Honda now. The car is going well in Singapore.
    Perhaps after 3 years, they finally got their stuff together and now foolishly they will not reap the rewards of 3 years of painful development.
    STR and RBR might be laughing at them
    wouldn't it be sad if Alonso stipulated his return to mclaren if they got rid of honda and next year the honda comes good. lol

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Mclaren might regret parting with Honda now. The car is going well in Singapore.
    Perhaps after 3 years, they finally got their stuff together and now foolishly they will not reap the rewards of 3 years of painful development.
    It will take divine intervention for McLaren to get both cars to the checkered flag
    May the forza be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    It will take divine intervention for McLaren to get both cars to the checkered flag
    lol...that might be true too.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    I don't think so, they are still near the bottom of the speed trap times. It's a chassis circuit not an engine circuit, and the McLaren chassis is pretty good. Remember Alonso taking the fastest lap in Hungary.
    Every year since Honda came back we've been wondering if it'll be the year that they get their stuff together, but if anything it seems like they're getting worse.