Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Deals

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    I think Mclaren should wait it out a year, and see what they can get the Honda to do. They obviously have the handling, and changing the car again around a Renault powerplant is just as risky a roll of the dice as they made going to Honda. I think at this point most likely Alonso is gone regardless. I have to agree with Steveaki13.... even if they integrate the Renault into the car flawlessly, they still only have a top 3-4 car.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Trouble for Mclaren is that Renault engines unless they suddenly make the best engine doesnt get them into the top 3 teams. Unless they have a better car than Red Bull. Unlikely.
    Other drivers have said the McLaren looks as good as the Red Bull in the corners now. Presumably they have to believe they could beat Red Bull on a level playing field, otherwise they might as well go home.
    But yeah, best case scenario that puts them 3rd, which is still not where they want to be.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Many seem to be putting a lot of hopes into the 2021 engine formula. Something is really wrong in F1 if they almost write off the next 3 seasons. McLaren had the right idea when they bet on Honda. It was common sense that taking the available engines would be settling for mediocrity. Unfortunately Honda brought them to the point where mediocrity would be a vast improvement. Now lets just hope the 2021 formula would be magical. 4 years go by like nothing. Like it wasn't bad enough when you had to write off an entire year from the get go.

4. Likes: donKey jote (16th September 2017)
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    Something is really wrong in F1 if they almost write off the next 3 seasons.
    Not if you're Mercedes-Benz.

It's pretty easy to see that the rules were designed to freeze out anyone who had a dud engine. This was about kicking Renault off of the top step and making sure that they remained face down in the gravel.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

6. Likes: donKey jote (16th September 2017)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    I'm wondering whether any engine deal in 2021 will make a difference. Looking at the longer term future of racing in general leaves one scratching their head. The advent of self driving cars, which are almost certain to be fairly commonplace in ten years, will change the sport forever. Where will the big money put in by the manufacturers go then? I'll guarantee one thing - all of the big players have already considered this and are formulating plans to deal with it. F1 and other forms of car racing may not be a large part of those plans.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I'm wondering whether any engine deal in 2021 will make a difference. Looking at the longer term future of racing in general leaves one scratching their head. The advent of self driving cars, which are almost certain to be fairly commonplace in ten years, will change the sport forever. Where will the big money put in by the manufacturers go then? I'll guarantee one thing - all of the big players have already considered this and are formulating plans to deal with it. F1 and other forms of car racing may not be a large part of those plans.
    F1 may well come to an end, or at least be very different. But car racing in general, I don't think will change that much. Most car racing goes on with little direct support from the manufacturers. As has been observed in the past, the horse as a form of transport is ancient history, but horse racing is still a big deal.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    F1 may well come to an end, or at least be very different. But car racing in general, I don't think will change that much. Most car racing goes on with little direct support from the manufacturers. As has been observed in the past, the horse as a form of transport is ancient history, but horse racing is still a big deal.
    Without betting horse racing would have seen the glue factory long, long ago.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Autosport is running the story that McLaren is finally parting ways with Honda for 2018, and Toro Rosso will be running Honda engines then. https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...da-for-renault

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    New details reported by Motorsport (and elsewhere) saying that Red Bull is going to be using Honda from 2019.

I'm wondering whether we're seeing things unfold in reverse order from the causality... as in, the primary driver for the shuffle is RBR being out of contract with Renault after 2018 (speculation on my part) and needing to get Honda engines after that as their only option. Needing to make that work in 2019 drove them to look to get Honda supplying engines to STR next year, so as to make sure they can keep an eye on Honda's development and get data needed to line up for 2019. That in turn gave McLaren an opening, but Renault demanded more to release STR from their contract next year, hence the Sainz "loan".

This is all based on my speculation that after the big falling out between Renault and RBR, they agreed their weird TAG Heuer branding/supply deal only through the end of 2018, leaving RBR with no options after that. My speculation is based on the fact that all of this looks very much like RBR/STR negotiating from a position of weakness.

12. Likes: N4D13 (15th September 2017)
    The firm with the worst engines joins up with the team that has the worst record for bad-mouthing their engine supplier. What could possibly go wrong!