Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Deals

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts

Engine Deals

Auto Motor Sport is reporting that Torro Rosso is set to use Honda engines for 2018 and Mclaren are moving to renault engines.
    The announcment is set to take place tomorrow before the GP.
    http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...-12303730.html

This is an interesting decsion for both
    1. That honda engine could come good and catapult STR to higher levels
    2. but will RBR sabotage any kind of progress STR mihgt be able to make? ( i won';t put it past horner and marko)
    3. will the renault now make the mclaren more competitive and allow them to keep Alonso?
    4. or will they come to regret this move as it seems that alonso is destined to be always on the other side of these situations. Because from where i see it, that Honda engine is slowly starting to be competitive and could be even more so by season's end.

IMO, mclaren should stick with Honda and allow alonso to move to another team if he decides to. His best bet would be to get a seat at williams.
    They have invested all this time and effort with honda and it could develop into a solid partnership. They seem to be compromising their long term future to satisfy a current driver ( who in all fairness is being paid a boat load of money) which is never the approach to take. I would have given honda 1 more year and insisted on a more transparent working relationship with them.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    McLaren have given Honda three years and they haven't got any better - it's embarrassing. Believing that the Honda engine will catapult STR ahead of RBR is like expecting Santa Claus to come to your house and do your laundry. In fact, the latter seems more plausible - you'd only need an early Christmas costume and enough beer.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    It conflicts with what Horner was saying about how Red Bull could exercise a veto over who gets Renault engines. But on the other hand, Flavio was saying he hoped for some progress on behalf of his driver Alonso within hours.

Liked 786 Times in 583 Posts
    A lot of things are up in the air right now , what with talks about simplification on the power plant side .
    Horner looked to have his cards held far from his vest , knowing that making it an easier task could bring Honda back into it .
    Having Torro Rosso as the testing mule makes a lot of sense for all concerned , as they'll come with a cheap price tag at this point , but save face , moving sideways in the midfield .

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Given Horner's comments about Renault not so very long ago, I'd be surprised if the French took any notice of any attempt to veto who took their engines...
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    It conflicts with what Horner was saying about how Red Bull could exercise a veto over who gets Renault engines. But on the other hand, Flavio was saying he hoped for some progress on behalf of his driver Alonso within hours.
    I still don't understand how Flavio is allowed anywhere near a F1 paddock. He should have received a life ban for Singapore 2008. It really shows how weak the governance is in the FIA,

7. Likes: truefan72 (4th September 2017)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I still don't understand how Flavio is allowed anywhere near a F1 paddock.
    This picture link explains all:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/photo/...tore-13633864/

Flavio is apparently F1's liason to Azerbaijan's dictator (err.. president for life) Ilham Aliev.

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Honestly I find it hard to imagine Renault being any better than Honda next year.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A FONDO View Post
    Honestly I find it hard to imagine Renault being any better than Honda next year.
    It's more reliable, at least.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Trouble for Mclaren is that Renault engines unless they suddenly make the best engine doesnt get them into the top 3 teams. Unless they have a better car than Red Bull. Unlikely.

That was originally the one hope with Honda. That being a one team engine supplier, they would produce a cracker and put Mclaren at the front.

With such limited engine options these days its hard to reach the front. The best engine is Mercedes and you will never get a better car than the Mercedes really.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy