Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Any tip and info to a Monza visitor?

New member and found this promising forum. Hopefully I get a couple of responses from people actually been at Monza during races, before I leave wednesday to my first F1 race live ever. I’m driving from Sweden to attend the Monza events. Have a lot of questions and if I get some activity in this thread I will probably put out some more.

The circumstances are I will stay at a camping 30km north (was too late to reserve at the track camping), plan to pay a vistit each day thurs-sun and will bring a 300mm tele lens and try to find nice angles and do a lot of photographing.

When I checked the stand and tickets I decided to buy the “Prato” alternative as it seems to let me move around a bit and find those desired angels, as well as different view on both track and race.

I start with a couple of pratical quests:

I’ve tried to check as much as I can to get things work smooth when I’m there. The first task is my daily transport from the camping to the track and where to park. As it’s not that fun to search for a parking spot when you never have been in the surroundings it seems best to use one of those big official parkings with a fee that includes shuttle buses to the track. I’m wondering about the shuttles. Is there a regular frequence of shuttle departs from the track to the parking so you can be quite fleible with the time for departure?

In general: Is this parking-shuttle-solution a good thing and work well?

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Beware of European pickpockets.

-totally been there. j/k

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Welcome to the forum MickeK. I'm afraid I don't know anything about visiting Monza, but I hope you enjoy your trip.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Welcome to the forum MickeK. I'm afraid I don't know anything about visiting Monza, but I hope you enjoy your trip.
    Thank's Andy,

It was a late decision to go so I guess my posting was a bit late as well. Have found out a lot but it's allways best to hear from people beeing there.

The travelling "fever" sets in as I will leave tomorrow morning 7am. Preparing, sweating, hopefully not forgetting something

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    MickeK , welcome to the forum .

I'm jealous .
    Some day , maybe I'll get there as well , so I hope you have some tips for those of us that make the trip after you .

I also hope you'll treat us to a look at some of your pictures of the weekend .

Have great fun !

ps - wear a red hat and wave for the camera so that we might be able to pick you out on the TV feed . Hee hee .
    Last edited by Bagwan; 29th August 2017 at 18:03.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I promise Bagwan, There was some regulations around photos (for private use only) but I check that out. And if you see a guy with a green hat with a finnish and a swedish flag on - it's me!

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Make sure to put on lots and lots of sunblock. The Italian sun burns like hell, particularly in summer. And if you are Finnish or Swedish, odds are you'll leave the circuit looking a lot redder than you came in anyway - and I don't mean Ferrari red. :-)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Sitting in my tent hoping for the compact rain will end.

Was at the thursday event yesterday (in more or less tropical dump weather).

I lined up for the pit lane walk and wisely followed the advice from a young italian fan next to me. Just stay put, he said. The late comers will suffer… At that time a decent que of some hundreds where there and it was around 2 hours before the gates to pits opened. As an experienced rock concert visitor (with a stubbard mind) I held my stand. The big advantage was that we could walk through the full pit without any problem and did get a good look of all the garages. Later the walking area was totally crowded and outside the Ferrari pit totally blocked. All the lae comers eager to see anything.

Anyway, the pits had prepared their appearances. Some of the cars was worked over by engineers. A lot of wings, extra car bodies etc. was exposed in front. And the Ferrari garage had a bit more of course .

A couple of drivers (later was some assambled autograph session with all present drivers but skipped that seeing the crowd in the pit lane) was in garages. I saw Kimi, Hülkenberg and got a nice close up of Palmer instead of an autograph (some of them did autograph writing at the pits). Anyway, my experience of the pit walk was far better than it was for those who didn’t line up 2 hours before – if you ever will be in this situation you should follow the advice to que for 2 hours .

The atmosphere as such is great and I have to mention that an icon like Alonso suddenly sat at a bench right in front of me with some friends. Glad to see that people gave him the respect of NOT (surprisingly enough) hustle him with getting close and taking selfies. Had some bad luck there as I just had trouble with the big sausage sandwish and dripping mustard. Had no chance of even touch my camera to get a nice pic. When I finally could wash my hands he was gone…

Bad news today is that compact rain all day is expected. As I drove for 14 hours wed-thu I had to take an extra nap today and will miss the first training session. Will drive my 30km for the second 14.00 and hope the rain stops. To me an extra obsticle as I use a big lens and exposing a camera in heavy rain (and everything else you need) is a bit of a pain…

Was also informed (my italian friend from the que) that on race day you better take your stand around 8.00am if you aim for the better ones. Today is not a problem I guess, not that many will go for training sessions in rain. Tomorrow it might be some bad weather as well, but probably a bit more people. Racing day will be sunny so I better get up around 05.00am in the tent that morning to plan for a as-perfect-as-possible-experience.

Shot some photos yesterday. Was walking around the different sections and the old banking. Would pass some here if I could but pics are in RAW-format right now and not light enough for web-use. Perhaps when I get home.

Turned out to be some dairy here (hope you don’t mind) but it was easy enough, sitting in a chair in my tent with a macchiato beside and rain on the roof. Nice to have a un-stressed morning and slept well after those around 1200 km last day .

9. Likes: drive (2nd September 2017)
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Sounds awesome already and that's before the cars even hit the track

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Thanks for the report. Sounds like you are in for a great weekend.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover