Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Another great idea... SSS in Helsinki

In the year 2008 we will see something special at NORF says Jarmo Mahonen. Normally I wouldn't mind but this special thing is very much related in Helsinki, a special stage somewhere in the citycentre area to be more specific.

So, as soon as we all saw the failure of SSS in Buenos Aires, Mahonen publish this idea. What would be better than to drive between Jyväskylä and Helsinki for three days, just to see a super stage in Kaivari, where half of the local population don't even want to see a rallycar.

What does the Helsinki City Boys think?? It's a ok for them, hence Helsinki will now be linked to the biggest single sport event of the year for what price, free of charge I guess. Try to contact them otherwise, no answer ever....

Now that pretty much all the other rallies has been spoiled are about to do so, let's make a farce out of NORF too

Garde liked the idea since it brings more people who normally wouldn't follow rally to the super stage. Does that really increase the popularity of rallying ??? I don't think so. Shall any of those people ever again follow rally ???

They made a great effort to listen the fans this year and changed the route. Why this decicion for next year
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What a shame...

I saw some footage of promotion days from Toyota (F1, rally) last year in Finland, in which they created a special stage in Helsinki. Pretty much like city racing, not recommendable for rallying IMO. Could be something similar.

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    Next we will have Rally Italia-Sardinia announce a super special in Rome.

Why not? It would be only a short boat ride away. It is crazy to think that this these distances are acheivable.

Only if we return to the linear format of rally could you ever expect to run over such distances without things going wrong. That is something I doubt we will ever see. Looped stages & centralised service parks are easier to manage & control.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Stupid idea, if they want to drive in town, i think they should drive in Jyväskylä town, like before. Also Mahonens motives why to do like this was a bit strange.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    They propable saw that number of people who watched Toyota F1 show there was pretty high, especially when Kankkunen(?) in his old Corolla was pretty spectacular compared to the F1 car on the cobblestones.
    It's what, 300 km from Hki to Jyväskylä. Screw that, bring them to Tampere instead.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    They propable saw that number of people who watched Toyota F1 show there was pretty high, especially when Kankkunen(?) in his old Corolla was pretty spectacular compared to the F1 car on the cobblestones.
    It's what, 300 km from Hki to Jyväskylä. Screw that, bring them to Tampere instead.
    Been there, done that. Tampere was tried in the 90's. I agree with Tomi. Harju Super Stage was classic and spectacular in Jyväskylä. But nooooo. Mahonen wants to invite jet-set fans to Helsinki.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    Mahonen wants to invite jet-set fans to Helsinki.
    His motives sounded a bit strange to me, he said something like they should do it because nobody has done it before, also im not so sure Kaivopuisto is a good place, the place where i think they could do it dont fit many spectators,mostly sea on the other side and rocks on the other, but the spot would look nice in tv for sure. Better than this would be if they should use the money to build spectator zones with seats for the neohelpless people by the stages, and cut down the trees a bit more at good spots, and arrange free transport from Helsinki and Tampere.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
    The way things are going, are you all sure, it's not the other way around ?

Suomi 08 being an Helsinki based in town tarmac rally and the SSS being run on the holy loose surface in Jyväskylä ?
    Markku Alén, 1978 World Champion

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karukera
    The way things are going, are you all sure, it's not the other way around ?

Suomi 08 being an Helsinki based in town tarmac rally and the SSS being run on the holy loose surface in Jyväskylä ?
    Hey, don't give them more ideas.
    .................................................. ..................................................