Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Williams leave testing Spain earlier due to Rosberg crash

The second heavy crash for the team this week.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=31297
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    This is kind of problem shows how a low budget can sap a team. Williams didn't have the resources to press another car into service and risk preparation for the Spanish GP. And the first crash was by a driver who was probably in a Williams for financial reasons (Nakajima - with Toyota connections).

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkFan
    This is kind of problem shows how a low budget can sap a team. Williams didn't have the resources to press another car into service and risk preparation for the Spanish GP. And the first crash was by a driver who was probably in a Williams for financial reasons (Nakajima - with Toyota connections).

ClarkFan
    Very good point, ClarkFan, but I wouldn't want forumers to get the impression that Williams is a cash-strapped team. Far from it. The title sponsor is AT&T, one of the world's biggest corporations, and just this week the Royal Bank of Scotland extended its very lucrative sponsorship of Williams. So the team is a long way from being in the position that, say, Jordan were in a few years back, constantly worrying about meeting expenses and having to cut corners in every department.

Having said that, you are right, though, that if we were a Toyota or a Ferrari, the crashes of two cars would not bring a crucial test to an end. But let's not overdo it; Williams is well-funded, for all that.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Sorry if my tone seemed entirely negative, Gannex. I have actually been encouraged with Williams' performance this year, and hope that getting a works engine can help spark a rebound. But they are still well back of the spending leaders, and not being a major manufacturer of road cars, they can't afford to throw cash at problems like Toyota or Honda (or even BMW) can.

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkFan
    I have actually been encouraged with Williams' performance this year, and hope that getting a works engine can help spark a rebound.

ClarkFan
    I've also been encouraged, but of course when it comes to Williams, it's never a good idea to get your hopes up too high. But the relationship with Toyota seems to be going extremely well -- such a contrast to the way things were with BMW. And not only that, I think Alexander Wurz's contribution has been, and is going to continue to be huge. He is, in my view, one of the most under-estimated men in the paddock, and could turn out to be one of the key factors in a revival at Williams, if in fact there is the upturn in fortune that so many are hoping for.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannex
    I've also been encouraged, but of course when it comes to Williams, it's never a good idea to get your hopes up too high. But the relationship with Toyota seems to be going extremely well -- such a contrast to the way things were with BMW.

Very good point there. BMW seemed to want to interfere with the running of the Williams team, whereas Toyota are well out of the Williams garage. I just hope that the Williams will be able to run with the BMW's during races.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    I just hope that the Williams will be able to run with the BMW's during races.
    Well yes, Valve, I do too, very much so. I must admit that I find the current success of BMW to be very disturbing, and the fact that they are frequently outpacing Williams to be utterly amazing and awful. BMW patronised Williams for so long, mocking the team's designers, insulting their staff, both to their faces and behind their backs, and insinuating at all times that they could do a better job themselves of producing a carbon-fibre F1 chassis.

That rankled at Grove. BMW, it was thought, might have designed a composite part here and there for their road cars, but the thought of them designing and fabricating an F1 monocoque, with no experience, was just laughable.

But it's BMW who are having the laughs right now. Every time a BMW finishes ahead of a Williams, it hurts.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    BMW wanted to WIN in Formula 1 !!!

If memory serves...

When Williams were having major problems with the car not performing due to both their chassis/aero...

BMW offered to provide engineers & top end computer modeling...

Williams as much as said to them... we DON'T need help from BMW...

ending their relationship !!!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    ^Your forgetting that BMW worked with Williams to produce the transmission and electronincs as well, and that didnt turn out to well as, for whatever reason, the two just didnt seem to work well together. As for BMW's offer of extra engineers, without F1 experience and the knowledge of these complex cars I think that would have held them back in sorting the problems.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Am I too far-fetched to speculate that the Sauber squad are probably more talented than the Williams, but had been limited financially until BMW cashed in?