Page 84 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    It's not like they had that much success in 2017 either.
    Compared to what was expected? Really? I must've missed something during 2017 pre-season then.

Anyway there is a huge difference, now they are ordered by Toyoda to win both titles. Seems like your reply is a good answer to my question then. Finnish people are hoping for magic Rovanpera skills.
    Nope. Atleast I'm not expecting anything magical from Rovanperä in 2020. Good stage times here and there, maybe even a podium or two but with the occasional mistake. We'll see. I fully agree that Hyundai is the favorite for the manu title, but we're yet to see how the team dynamics work between Tänak and Neuville. In my view TGR is not that huge dog as it may sound like when adding up 2019 results.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

2. Likes: AnttiL (28th November 2019),pantealex (28th November 2019)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Kalle can´t be worse than TGR 3rd driver this year...

I also am not expecting any miracles.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

4. Likes: AnttiL (28th November 2019),tommeke_B (28th November 2019)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abcrally View Post
    Sweden should not create any problems really as the event is 2,5 months away... Sweden is close to Finland so logistics is not the issue. And budget comes via JML.

Actually JML's possible entry could be 5th car from Toyota as Katsuta is going to drive there too! And we must remember that all events JML would do they are not under TGR team but Tommi Mäkinen Racing.
    Spare parts are the problem. Most of those are hand-made, there aren´t any lines which produces "Yaris WRC20" rear spoilers or front wings...
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

6. Likes: AnttiL (28th November 2019)
    Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    I’m quite surprised by the negative comments around Rovanpera getting the drive, while I agree he is young to have such a drive, I think he is well capable of delivering good results. Sure there will be some mistakes, but Toyota/Makinen are well aware of that and have clearly thought that the positives outweigh the negatives.
    People keep talking about running a 4th car or whatever, well Katsuta is driving that so your effectively talking about running a 5th car, on their budget..

8. Likes: AnttiL (28th November 2019)
    Liked 1,621 Times in 737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    I’m quite surprised by the negative comments around Rovanpera getting the drive, while I agree he is young to have such a drive, I think he is well capable of delivering good results. Sure there will be some mistakes, but Toyota/Makinen are well aware of that and have clearly thought that the positives outweigh the negatives.
    People keep talking about running a 4th car or whatever, well Katsuta is driving that so your effectively talking about running a 5th car, on their budget..
    Negative comments are against "he is getting pressure/responsibility too early" not "he is getting drive too early".

Yes, pressure is there. So there is also opportunity to show that he can handle it. Question of point of view.

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    Compared to what was expected? Really? I must've missed something during 2017 pre-season then.
    Compared to expectations they did great. Titles are won based on beating competition, not beating expectations

Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Kalle can´t be worse than TGR 3rd driver this year...

I also am not expecting any miracles.
    That is true. However, he is not going to fight previous years 3rd drivers, he is fighting current third drivers at Hyundai - Sordo and Loeb.

Similarly Evans is expected to beat either Neuville or Tänak next year.

Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    Negative comments are against "he is getting pressure/responsibility too early" not "he is getting drive too early".

Yes, pressure is there. So there is also opportunity to show that he can handle it. Question of point of view.
    I’m a glass half full guy, so I like to see it as a great thing that the hot young talent is in the car, rather than a known quantity of talent unfulfilled (Meeke/Latvala).
    If either of those two kept the drive, what would have happened? A few decent results, some amazing stage times, and a lot of 6/7/8 place finishes and maybe a win IF Meeke could get through the right event without a mistake.
    I think Rovanpera can do at least as well as that, in fact I think the one with the real pressure in that team is Evans.

12. Likes: AnttiL (28th November 2019)
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Compared to expectations they did great. Titles are won based on beating competition, not beating expectations
    Titles yes, but success is specifically achieved by beating the expectations.

Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Spare parts are the problem. Most of those are hand-made, there aren´t any lines which produces "Yaris WRC20" rear spoilers or front wings...
    Once you have the molds you can produce as many as you want pretty fast.

There's no magic in building parts, it just requires manhours.

Liked 846 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    I’m a glass half full guy, so I like to see it as a great thing that the hot young talent is in the car, rather than a known quantity of talent unfulfilled (Meeke/Latvala).
    If either of those two kept the drive, what would have happened? A few decent results, some amazing stage times, and a lot of 6/7/8 place finishes and maybe a win IF Meeke could get through the right event without a mistake.
    I think Rovanpera can do at least as well as that, in fact I think the one with the real pressure in that team is Evans.
    Evans has to win in 2020 to truly prove his worth. His only win has come at the mercy of his Dmacks and of his other two nearlies one of them was also on those tyres. I believe he's got the speed and consistency to become a solid Sordo like figure for Toyota.

I believe he lacks that natural given speed donned upon Tanak, for example, but if he can really wring out every last bit of performance from that Yaris I'd expect him to take a shock victory on some tarmac round.