Page 6 of 160 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    I agree, something tells me Juho will still be on the team as a test driver if he does not get seat.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I would also see Hänninen as a test and gravel crew driver if it wasn't for his comments in the interview about becoming a farmer and wanting to spend time with the kids and how 2016 was a busier year for him than 2017 would be because of all the testing work.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Japanese may have a different business ethic but they’re not dumb and there’s a huge marketing value that’ll be wasted if TGR continues with an all finish line up (or even 2 Finns plus Tanak). Getting a Brit (Evans, like it was speculated, or Meeke if he leaves Citroen) would certainly boost Toyota image in a major market like GB. Still, the main marketing target remains the WRC manu title and Ogier is always the best option to get it...
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    They commented that "all-Finnish" thing i believe and said that bigger markets like Asia etc consider all Europe as one so there`s no big difference who drives and where the event is held, as long as the result is good.

5. Likes: pantealex (25th August 2017),steve.mandzij (25th August 2017)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    With regards to Ogier my impression from end of 2016 is that Tommi didn't actual want him and was ordered by Toyota to let him test.....

Which led to a test with unfinished car on wet tarmac where the car has not really been tested much before and didn't exactly excel ...subsequently Ogier turned them down.

It seems quite unlikely to me that they couldn't get a car available on some other surface/location (easiest in Finland next to the HQ) during the period of about a month before Australia and Ogier signing for M-Sport.

----------------------------

I think Tanak should decide carefully if he wants to go to Toyota at this point. Atm he has winning pace in Fiesta and just got only his 2nd win, in a car that he developed from the very beginning, with input from Ogier this year.
    There is no guarantee he will have same winning pace in Toyota. Might even end up being 3rd fastest driver on many rallies.

Dropping in performance before he builds his "brand" as a stable and fast driver is the worst thing that can happen for future career. See Martin and his change to Peugeot in 2005 for an example of a perceived performance drop. Note that Martin first left Ford after two seasons with rally wins.
    Last edited by mknight; 25th August 2017 at 15:18.

7. Likes: A FONDO (25th August 2017)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Itīs nearly impossible to drive at gravel in central Finland between mid october and april. Roads are too wet/soft or icy/snowy.
    I agree that TGR didīt 100% want Ogier for 2017

To me main question is: How fast is FiestaWRC18 ?
    If FORD is not coming along, is development slower than other teams do?
    If Fiesta18 is fast enough against other WRCīs, I see no point of team change for any current Fiesta17 driver.
    But Iīm still pretty sure that driver(s) are switching and I donīt believe that money/salory is the reason.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
    I think if Ogier goes to Toyota, Latvala will go to M-Sport
    it's all about driving fast

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallye-vid View Post
    I think if Ogier goes to Toyota, Latvala will go to M-Sport
    Latvala's deal for 2018 is already quite secured. And so is Lappi's.

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
    Yes, i know. But he will go crazy with Ogier in same team again
    it's all about driving fast

12. Likes: KKS (26th August 2017)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    To me main question is: How fast is FiestaWRC18 ?
    If FORD is not coming along, is development slower than other teams do?
    If Fiesta18 is fast enough against other WRCīs, I see no point of team change for any current Fiesta17 driver.
    But Iīm still pretty sure that driver(s) are switching and I donīt believe that money/salory is the reason.
    Since rules are not getting changed and there is only some 1.5 months before Australia and Monte I very much doubt there will be any major changes in any car. Sure some development will go on, just like it did trough this year, but until at least middle 2018 Fiesta will be one of the fastest cars no matter if Ford comes or not.

14. Likes: pantealex (25th August 2017)