Page 5 of 160 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Colin Clark podcast had an interesting take on Toyota and Hanninen. His recent improvement seems to mirror his IRC days where he was initially crash-prone but sorted himself out and becamw super-reliable and fast for two seasons.

He also beat Neuville, Mikkelsen and Meeke to the IRC titles...
    I'd say he only beat Meeke. Neuville in 2010 was in the beginning of his international career and all over the place. Same year Mikkelsen drove with Hankooks. But sure, had Neuville and Mikkelsen been Juho's team mates in 2010, Juho would've been the fastest. In 2011 Juho lost the title to Mikkelsen - partially because of a crash in Cyprus.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

2. Likes: pantealex (23rd August 2017),steve.mandzij (23rd August 2017)
    Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori View Post
    I'd say he only beat Meeke. Neuville in 2010 was in the beginning of his international career and all over the place. Same year Mikkelsen drove with Hankooks. But sure, had Neuville and Mikkelsen been Juho's team mates in 2010, Juho would've been the fastest. In 2011 Juho lost the title to Mikkelsen - partially because of a crash in Cyprus.
    Thanks... my memory has faded a bit about the IRC days.

But I do remember sometimes thinking that Hanninen was a future World Champion ... he seemed to have it all.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    What Hartusvuori wrote.

Hanninen didn't really "beat them", the more correct wording would perhaps be that they (Hanninen, Neuville, Mikkelsen) were at very similar level at that time.

Hanninen won in 2010 against Meeke while Neuville drove only some events and Mikkelsen also only some and on Hankook.
    In 2011 it went down to the last race where Hanninen and Neuville crashed and Mikkelsen won. The years after Hanninen never drove full season, but when he drove he had same speed as Mikkelsen.

Anyway Colin Clark picked out the main point, before Finland and Germany it was a no brainer to drop Hanninen next year. Now it's not 100% clear call.
    + good recent results so seems to be improving which might be due to long break
    - he is still not a "reliably fast" driver that would get at worst 5th in all events, something that Toyota needs to complement Latvala as title challenger + Lappi as future/developing driver to maximaze their chances for manu title

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx1979 View Post
    Apparently Suninen is the hardest working driver at the moment. He has been doing drives with several different coaches and did so before Finland as well. Was told he is very driven to succeed and willing to learn and Toyota really likes that about him.
    You can also see this about his post-stage interviews, even when he does a fastest time, he doesn't smile and just thinks about how it could have been better.

And to add to this I was told Tommi is really fond of Juho. I guess Juho was there from the start and Tommi has a solid relationship with him and believes he can do a lot better and needs more time doing WRC events. Everyone on the team is hoping he does well for the sake of his future. I guess he is the "nice guy" everyone likes and has a great personality even though he does not come off that way in his interviews.

He would be the Sordo of Toyota if he can keep the same pace as the last two events.
    I think Hänninen driving for Toyota this year is just because Hänninen was there from the beginning developing and testing the car, and doing this season is a part of the development program, having the same guy drive the car on the actual events. And 12 months ago, they didn't really have much better options for experienced drivers when VW was still around.

I think Hänninen is a favourite of all Finnish rally hobbyists, because he's so down to earth, like he's "one of us", whereas J-M is more of a distant superstar and a more emotional character. Meanwhile, Hänninen's character doesn't open up much in his English interviews because he talks just a little bit of Rally English, but in Finnish he's very witty with a funny dialect.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 25th August 2017 at 07:45.

6. Likes: JTGANG (25th August 2017),KKS (26th August 2017),pantealex (25th August 2017),sonnybobiche (27th August 2017)
    Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    You can also see this about his post-stage interviews, even when he does a fastest time, he doesn't smile and just thinks about how it could have been better.

I think Hänninen driving for Toyota this year is just because Hänninen was there from the beginning developing and testing the car, and doing this season is a part of the development program, having the same guy drive the car on the actual events. And 12 months ago, they didn't really have much better options for experienced drivers when VW was still around.

I think Hänninen is a favourite of all Finnish rally hobbyists, because he's so down to earth, like he's "one of us", whereas J-M is more of a distant superstar and a more emotional character. Meanwhile, Hänninen's character doesn't open up much in his English interviews because he talks just a little bit of Rally English, but in Finnish he's very witty with a funny dialect.
    Back in the Acropolis days while we have approached many drivers for a few words Hanninen was by far the most polite and friendly from all drivers

8. Likes: A FONDO (25th August 2017),Hartusvuori (25th August 2017),pantealex (25th August 2017),Rallyper (25th August 2017),sonnybobiche (27th August 2017)
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    So what do you do if you're Tommi? Do you let go of Hanninen or keep him for another year. Especially if he does a few more top 5 events later this year?

Also if Toyota drops Hanninen where does he go? I don't think he is on anyone's radar. Unfortunately I feel his only hope is Toyota.

I know Japanese mentality and thinking fairly well. My wife is Japanese . I would say the Toyota boss would keep Hanninen for at least one more year. Time will tell...

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx1979 View Post
    So what do you do if you're Tommi? Do you let go of Hanninen or keep him for another year. Especially if he does a few more top 5 events later this year?
    The contracts for 2018 are most likely sealed before Spain.

Also if Toyota drops Hanninen where does he go? I don't think he is on anyone's radar. Unfortunately I feel his only hope is Toyota.
    Hänninen will probably retire. https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9357001 this interview (from late 2016) in Finnish hints that he's soon going to continue farming on his family farm and wants to spend more time with his kids. Although, he concludes the interview by saying that he can continue with Toyota in 2018 if he drives well.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 25th August 2017 at 10:43.

Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Farming with the family would not a be a bad idea. Especially in Finland.

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I wouldn't describe Latvala as a distant superstar. He's 110% rallying guy, every now and then goes to spectate events and every now and then drives local events too. He's always polite. As for Hänninen, I couldn't agree more he is the funniest and most down to earth. In Germany at recce we were joking around and while he was leaving, I said "at least try to be faster than him" and pointed at Kopecky's way. Juho grinned and thank for setting such a modest goal for the event. If Juho would retire, his character would be missed.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

13. Likes: AnttiL (25th August 2017),Fast Eddie WRC (25th August 2017),KKS (26th August 2017),pantealex (25th August 2017),steve.mandzij (25th August 2017)
    Liked 1,829 Times in 707 Posts
    Another point to consider is how many cars they will field next year, maybe they are the ones that want 4 car teams. Also as racerx1979 says, Japanese manufacturers are very loyal to those that are loyal to them. An example would be Pedrosa in MotoGP, Honda stuck by him during injuries and periods of mediocre results. Hanninen fits that bill so if there is somehow an open position that isn't filled by a clearly better driver he will get it. It may also be an option that he continues as test driver for the team.

15. Likes: racerx1979 (25th August 2017)