Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 70 of 70
  1. #61
    Senior Member Rally Power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,531
    Like
    1,536
    Liked 1,107 Times in 531 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    With regards to Ogier my impression from end of 2016 is that Tommi didn't actual want him and was ordered by Toyota to let him test.....
    Ok, probably having Ogier would add more pressure on their first year…but then, why let him do a test on a wrongly tuned car and take the bad publicity? Japan asked Makinen to make the test and Makinen ‘sabotaged’ it? It’s all a bit hard to believe...especially knowning that the car was improved before homologation and the wet tarmac conditions were new to the team.

    Honestly, I hope Ogier will go to Citroen just because it’d be a guarantee of having all manus fighting for the win, but it’s hard to understand that the world biggest car manu won’t fight to have the world best rally driver, no matter who runs their team.
    Rally addict since 1982

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    167
    Like
    262
    Liked 77 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Honestly, I hope Ogier will go to Citroen just because it’d be a guarantee of having all manus fighting for the win, but it’s hard to understand that the world biggest car manu won’t fight to have the world best rally driver, no matter who runs their team.
    I believe it's not Japanese way to do things like that, to buy best driver and then take credits. Maybe they want to build best car and to prove it by letting car be driven by those, who are fast but not already proved themselves?

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    736
    Like
    88
    Liked 438 Times in 243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Ok, probably having Ogier would add more pressure on their first year…but then, why let him do a test on a wrongly tuned car and take the bad publicity? Japan asked Makinen to make the test and Makinen ‘sabotaged’ it? It’s all a bit hard to believe...especially knowning that the car was improved before homologation and the wet tarmac conditions were new to the team.

    Honestly, I hope Ogier will go to Citroen just because it’d be a guarantee of having all manus fighting for the win, but it’s hard to understand that the world biggest car manu won’t fight to have the world best rally driver, no matter who runs their team.
    Well Tommi himself said 1 month later that it was right for Ogier to turn them down cause the car wasn't good then.... which really begs the question why they let him test on wet tarmac which was new for the car in the first place. Malcolm put Ogier in Fiesta on dry gravel on their own test track.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    J y v ä s k y l ä
    Posts
    1,866
    Like
    4,787
    Liked 461 Times in 231 Posts
    They want Ogier now but case was different year ago: Think if worlds best driver can´t be competitive with your car, who to blame? Yes, car.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

  5. Likes: electroliquid (25th August 2017),Rally Power (25th August 2017),Rallyper (25th August 2017)
  6. #65
    Senior Member EstWRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    3,183
    Like
    1,280
    Liked 2,416 Times in 1,103 Posts
    i was just thinking with the rumours that Malcolm cant hold all of his drivers....Ogier, Latvala and Tänak in Toyota would be quite a lineup...Lappi in 4th car.


    well, one can dream
    Tänak: "Better than I expected. Lots of sideways - and we enjoy that."

  7. Likes: AnttiL (25th August 2017),pantealex (28th August 2017)
  8. #66
    Senior Member Rally Power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,531
    Like
    1,536
    Liked 1,107 Times in 531 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    i was just thinking with the rumours that Malcolm cant hold all of his drivers....Ogier, Latvala and Tänak in Toyota would be quite a lineup...Lappi in 4th car.
    well, one can dream
    I was about to mention the possible fears of a VW steam roll remake if Toyota gets Ogier alongside Latvala and Lappi and you’re adding Tanak to the lineup…for some that would be a nightmare, not a dream!

    Seriously, current situation is different from 2012 and the general balance probably won’t get affected by next year drivers moves. Btw, I agree with mknight on Tanak: he would probably have more chances to become champ at MSport (without Ogier) than in Toyota, alongside Latvala and Lappi. Time will tell.
    Rally addict since 1982

  9. #67
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    24
    Like
    2
    Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Well Tommi himself said 1 month later that it was right for Ogier to turn them down cause the car wasn't good then.... which really begs the question why they let him test on wet tarmac which was new for the car in the first place. Malcolm put Ogier in Fiesta on dry gravel on their own test track.
    I thought Ogier tested in Rheola (Walters Arena) and not Greystoke?

  10. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,819
    Like
    391
    Liked 1,408 Times in 641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    I thought Ogier tested in Rheola (Walters Arena) and not Greystoke?
    Correct. Still though I guess it's somewhere M-Sport know well and not some unfamiliar stretch of wet tarmac.
    My rally photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/albums

  11. #69
    Senior Member racerx1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    218
    Like
    17
    Liked 132 Times in 65 Posts
    Toyota wants nothing to do with Ogier.

    Lappi and Latvala are confirmed for 2018. They're looking at Tanak and Suninen if Hanninen isn't let go. If Hanninen does well he might even stay on the team...0

  12. #70
    Senior Member GravelBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    302
    Like
    248
    Liked 306 Times in 124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Well Tommi himself said 1 month later that it was right for Ogier to turn them down cause the car wasn't good then.... which really begs the question why they let him test on wet tarmac which was new for the car in the first place.
    IIRC they said it was largely down to scheduling issues - that was more or less the only time Ogier could/would travel to test it, and they already had that test planned well in advance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •