Page 83 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    on paper the lineup doesn't stand a chance for manu title vs Tänak, Neuville, Sordo/Loeb/etc.
    On paper Toyota had no chance for any success in 2017.

2. Likes: pantealex (28th November 2019),tommeke_B (28th November 2019)
    Liked 1,621 Times in 737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    Ofcourse not. Whatever paper they would sign, it's for sure included in there that under no circumstances can Latvala (or anyone else) finish right in front of any of the TGR guys.
    So, what is the motivation for JML then? To agree before start that he can not win does not sound like a motivation package

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I think it would still prove enough for the team bosses - especially the Toyota team boss, since that's where he aims to drive in 2021.

Liked 25 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I think it would still prove enough for the team bosses - especially the Toyota team boss, since that's where he aims to drive in 2021.
    Good point because ogier contract is only 1 year and thats it. So very good point make some rounds and stay in the picture with positive vibes.

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    I still don't really understand why Tommi would chose to put Rovanpera in the third car, rather than a fourth car. It can't be a money issue. It's just put unnecessary pressure on Rovanpera at an early point in his career which could be counter productive in the short to medium term. At this point, it's this issue too that raises the greatest doubt for me that they can win the Manufacturer title next year. Why take the risk?

Liked 111 Times in 48 Posts
    Maybe it is some old news but couldn't find it here; Rovanperä in action with the Yaris WRC at the Arctic Rallye (16-18 January), so 1 week before rally Monte-Carlo..

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,070 Posts
    I think Tommi genuinely thinks Kalle can do something incredible, and that he is a potential generational talent like Loeb/Ogier. He seems to have that much belief in him. I also think Tommi wants a Finn in the main team, in fact he's even said that (and rates Rovanpera higher than Lappi and Suninen, and now Latvala).

It does put a lot of pressure on Kalle though. Monte, Mexico, Chile and Argentina is a very tough set of specific events to start the year, especially for someone making a step up into the top class. It's even more tough in a team that HAS to challenge for both titles.

I think the lineup also puts more pressure on Evans, who I really hope can live with it. He is going to have to do a lot better than last year and cut out his mistakes, if Toyota can even get close to Hyundai with Neuville/ Tanak + Loeb/ Sordo with great road position. And as well as cutting out mistakes, he will have to improve his pace across the whole year as well. Fingers crossed as I'm delighted he's got this opportunity.

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    On paper Toyota had no chance for any success in 2017.
    It's not like they had that much success in 2017 either.

Anyway there is a huge difference, now they are ordered by Toyoda to win both titles. Seems like your reply is a good answer to my question then. Finnish people are hoping for magic Rovanpera skills.

Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    It does put a lot of pressure on Kalle though. Monte, Mexico, Chile and Argentina is a very tough set of specific events to start the year, especially for someone making a step up into the top class. It's even more tough in a team that HAS to challenge for both titles.
    Add to that Kenya and Japan.

Both in 2018 and 2019 overseas rallies were those were Lappi and Suninen were often completely lost... minutes behind with no big issues. Overseas new rallies are even worse cause new drivers don't have experience to build on and they can't watch onboards of others from previous years.

Liked 265 Times in 164 Posts
    Man I wonder if driving private Toyota now is good choice. I mean can official TGR team bring him slower car just to not interfere with their main drivers? What will bosses from HQ say if Latvala will be flying and beating all three of them?

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    Man I wonder if driving private Toyota now is good choice. I mean can official TGR team bring him slower car just to not interfere with their main drivers? What will bosses from HQ say if Latvala will be flying and beating all three of them?
    You mean, would it make Mäkinen look bad as a team boss when a private driver is faster than the chosen factory drivers? Because in reality Latvala would most likely gain something from giving away the victory to the factory drivers.