Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    That's what should have happened - I reckon Donegal is the best Irish rally.

Seriously though I dont think anyone will be on the same minute as Loeb in a factory C4.

wrc is the pinnacle - look at Meeke, leading Ulster rally last year in a S1600 C2 until it rained. Wilks another driver who has excelled his performance by being in the WRC. If you think I.R.C drivers are a match for WRC why are not Mc Hale and Wilson always on the podium?
    Each championship has its best drivers, as you step up the level gets higher, being in the Wrc raises your game.
    well i dont want to turn this into another driver bashing forum but the 2 drivers you picked are not the best examples, how about looking at latvala a good consistent top 6 driver now and donnelly is alot quicker than him, wait and see i didnt say donnelly will challenge for the lead on rally ireland but the bottom step of the podium hes well good enough
    ES

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Petter, Mikko and Dani Sordo are also lot quicker drivers than Donnelly. I`ll say no Irish drivers in top8, I am sorry!
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    At the end of the day, they should be quicker the WRC Boys as its their job. Its the irish boys hobbies, but a few of them will spring a few surprises in Rally Ireland i bet you.
    Q476 YUJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex
    Petter, Mikko and Dani Sordo are also lot quicker drivers than Donnelly. I`ll say no Irish drivers in top8, I am sorry!
    what are you sorry for your entitled to your own opinion like everyone else thats what these forums are all about,
    ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I remember reading somewhere that when a certain Mr Nesbitt ventured overseas a few years ago there was great expectation amongst Irish rally fans that he would stick it to the WRC regulars based on his speed on ITC events. Andrew was more realistic and suggested that a top 20 place would be more than acceptable!

I think that whilst no-one can deny that certain Irish drivers have great speed and certainly reasonably up to date machinery the difference between a professional and a privateer however well heeled is still pretty big. A professional knows that he aint picking up the bills for the car so can drive it accordingley and the infrastructure around him allows him to concentrate on his sole purpose which is to push as hard as possible. A privateer/amateur dosnt have that luxury. If it was purely a case of local knowledge then the 1000 Lakes would have 3 or 4 Finns who weren’t regulars in the WRC in the top 8 every year and that just dosnt happen.

Just enjoy Donegal and Rally Ireland but don’t expect too much

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sal
    I remember reading somewhere that when a certain Mr Nesbitt ventured overseas a few years ago there was great expectation amongst Irish rally fans that he would stick it to the WRC regulars based on his speed on ITC events. Andrew was more realistic and suggested that a top 20 place would be more than acceptable!

I think that whilst no-one can deny that certain Irish drivers have great speed and certainly reasonably up to date machinery the difference between a professional and a privateer however well heeled is still pretty big. A professional knows that he aint picking up the bills for the car so can drive it accordingley and the infrastructure around him allows him to concentrate on his sole purpose which is to push as hard as possible. A privateer/amateur dosnt have that luxury. If it was purely a case of local knowledge then the 1000 Lakes would have 3 or 4 Finns who weren’t regulars in the WRC in the top 8 every year and that just dosnt happen.

Just enjoy Donegal and Rally Ireland but don’t expect too much
    yes and was it not on the snow and ice of sweden where nesbitt ventured to a man who had barely even done a rally on gravel let alone swedish conditions, there might be just a slight difference in driving on tarmac than snow and ice just a slight little one not to many people expected alot from him on the snow and ice.

Donnelly now doesnt have to pick up the bills for the car now aswell so he can now start really concentrating on his driving and pushing himself and the car,
    ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No from memory it was San Remo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    nope finished like 26 r 27th something like that in sweden and 5th privater home
    ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    just correcting it on his finishing position it was sweden he finished 28th overall and 5th private driver home,
    ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You have missed my point. The event he was talking about entering and be lucky to finish in the top 20 was San Remo. I'm fully aware of his result in Sweden.

Am also aware of Genie's deal with Reid's which should take some of the pressure off of him. Lets see what happens in Killarney and if he beats Miggins and Meeke comprehensively rather than settle for points then perhaps his chances of a top 8 in Rally Ireland will be more realistic.