Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alleskids
    I think that Rally Ireland is the only rally were the local drivers have a real change of a victory against the WRC crews. Especially when it wil be a wet Rally Ireland, the proffesionals of the WRC wil have a tough match agiant the mostly privateers/bussiness man from Ireland.
    I do hope so, because it would be brilliant, but I very much doubt it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Glad to hear that, even though you weren't around at the time, you know all about it. That's how it should be.

I was a kid in the '80s, and one of my most vivid memories of watching the fantastic British Open Rally Championship in that era was Walter Röhrl in the Sport Quattro on the 1984 Ulster Rally. Hope you've seen it. There is a fantastic bit of film showing cows in a field next to the first stage running away from the hedge adjoining the road, so surprised were they by the noise of that car. A wonderful moment. I'm sure Loeb will provide just such a spectacle.
    1984 ulster would be the yearwhere role was 2 seconds a mile quicker on most stages than anyone else he arrived in ireland a couple of days before the rally and could only do a very short recce a incridable drive, i might be young but im a proper rally fan and have seen most videos dvds etc on the sport,
    ES

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    I think that Rally Ireland is the only rally were the local drivers have a real change of a victory against the WRC crews. Especially when it wil be a wet Rally Ireland, the proffesionals of the WRC wil have a tough match agiant the mostly privateers/bussiness man from Ireland.
    Will not, they have no changes against WRC crews.
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You don't think that local knowlegde and the big Irish balls wil stand against Hirvonen, Gronholm. Sordo and especially Loeb? Not even in th eusually wet conditions ?
    R.I.P. all WRC heroes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You don't think that local knowlegde and the big Irish balls wil stand against Hirvonen, Gronholm. Sordo and especially Loeb? Not even in th eusually wet conditions ?
    I wont be suprised if you see Donnelly challenging for the bottom spot on the podium, espically as now he does'nt have to worry about the finances of his car, I'm confident of saying there is a chance of 3 irish tarmac championship competitors in the top 8 in rally Ireland and if Kris Meeke is out in an wrc he'll be close enough aswell.
    ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sills
    I wont be suprised if you see Donnelly challenging for the bottom spot on the podium, espically as now he does'nt have to worry about the finances of his car, I'm confident of saying there is a chance of 3 irish tarmac championship competitors in the top 8 in rally Ireland and if Kris Meeke is out in an wrc he'll be close enough aswell.
    Couldn't agree more,just hope Kris gets the chance he deserves,if he gets the time in the car before Rally Ireland then i think there will be two irishmen in the top 4,as for Donegal,Donnelly loves this rally,but Loeb is a different class of driver than Gronholm,but if Loeb isnt on it big time,Genie will have him

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    People say the best irish drivers cant match the likes of loeb and Gronhlom, well its not much different now to what it was on the golden days on Irish tarmac when rohrl, Pentti, Jimmy Mcrae and the likes of Sigstrom etc graced these roads in the monster group b cars and the might of the irish tarmac series of Fisher Machale Fitzgerald and the o'Connels were able put it up to them.
    I take alot of people have forgotten these past days on the Irish tarmac, but i havnt and if it could be done back then why cant it be done now,

Donnelly will be there or there abouts along with a couple of others, give him more time in that car where he can actually get quicker he said the car is still only improving after the circuit so lets see what happens
    ES

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sills
    People say the best irish drivers cant match the likes of loeb and Gronhlom, well its not much different now to what it was on the golden days on Irish tarmac when rohrl, Pentti, Jimmy Mcrae and the likes of Sigstrom etc graced these roads in the monster group b cars and the might of the irish tarmac series of Fisher Machale Fitzgerald and the o'Connels were able put it up to them.
    I take alot of people have forgotten these past days on the Irish tarmac, but i havnt and if it could be done back then why cant it be done now,

Donnelly will be there or there abouts along with a couple of others, give him more time in that car where he can actually get quicker he said the car is still only improving after the circuit so lets see what happens
    Dare to dream Sills, dare to dream
    But the question is why Loeb wants to run this Irish event? I think he is too greedy to show what he can do and this acknowledges the fact that he has respect for the local drivers. Anyway, it will be interesting battle, that's for sure.

Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts
    You all will see, Loeb will be as off the pace as Bosse was when he entered an irish rally earlier in the year !!

MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by jso1985
    (not)

anyway I always thought Donegal was "upgraded" to be the Irish WRC event.
    That's what should have happened - I reckon Donegal is the best Irish rally.

Seriously though I dont think anyone will be on the same minute as Loeb in a factory C4.

wrc is the pinnacle - look at Meeke, leading Ulster rally last year in a S1600 C2 until it rained. Wilks another driver who has excelled his performance by being in the WRC. If you think I.R.C drivers are a match for WRC why are not Mc Hale and Wilson always on the podium?
    Each championship has its best drivers, as you step up the level gets higher, being in the Wrc raises your game.