Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts

Red Bull TV, where's Mike Chen?

Mike Chen seemed at the start of the year to be kind of a gem unearthed by Red Bull. Very good in front of the camera. Knows rallying very well, despite his background being in single seaters. Also, actual racer, not just a journo major in university. Raced against HAM, ROS, and the rest of them. Red Bull clearly believed in him enough to invest in him doing Rally GB last year, which they made into a really great 5 part documentary about going rallying.

Now out of nowhere he's been missing in action for the last two rallies. Ed Leigh or whatever his name is isn't doing a bad job per se, but he's clearly not super interested (yet) in rallying. Heck, I just heard him imply that Mads Ostberg is Swedish, so he must be new to all this! Again, not trying to rip the new guy, but where's the old guy? He was doing a very good job!

PS just in case Red Bull actually read this, and since this is the premier rally forum in the world, I'm pretty sure somebody who matters keeps tabs on it, no, I am not Mike Chen, nor do I know Mike Chen, nor do I even live in the same hemisphere as Mike Chen.
    Last edited by sonnybobiche; 28th July 2017 at 23:02.

2. Likes: NickRally (29th July 2017),Rally Power (29th July 2017)
    Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    Mike Chen seemed at the start of the year to be kind of a gem unearthed by Red Bull. Very good in front of the camera. Knows rallying very well, despite his background being in single seaters. Also, actual racer, not just a journo major in university. Raced against HAM, ROS, and the rest of them. Red Bull clearly believed in him enough to invest in him doing Rally GB last year, which they made into a really great 5 part documentary about going rallying.

Now out of nowhere he's been missing in action for the last two rallies. Ed Leigh or whatever his name is isn't doing a bad job per se, but he's clearly not super interested (yet) in rallying. Heck, I just heard him imply that Mads Ostberg is Swedish, so he must be new to all this! Again, not trying to rip the new guy, but where's the old guy? He was doing a very good job!

PS just in case Red Bull actually read this, and since this is the premier rally forum in the world, I'm pretty sure somebody who matters keeps tabs on it, no, I am not Mike Chen, nor do I know Mike Chen, nor do I even live in the same hemisphere as Mike Chen.
    I can't say when he'll be back nor when this happened but as far as I know he broke his knee or something. I was really disappointed when I opened up the live stage stream in Poland and the new guy popped up

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    They said on Rally Radio he hurt himself during Poland and has had to skip Finland to recuperate. He was having physiotherapy today.

He seems to be a very popular guy among the drivers. I like him. Did he need his own thread? I'm not sure haha...
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    Silly boy. Well, good to hear that it wasn't some inexplicable decision by Red Bull to drop him.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Ed Leigh, the new guy, said that Mike Chen will be back for Rallye Deutschland. Fun fact: the new guy used to be known as "Satan Whopper C*ck" and won UK Air Guitar Championship three times.

7. Likes: sonnybobiche (30th July 2017),steve.mandzij (30th July 2017)