Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I don't think it would make any difference at all to Joe Supermarket out there in TV land.

I know.

Hyperbole is always the art of the incredulous in search of where the boundary lies.
    I know Joe Supermarket , and when he smells blood , he's on the edge of his couch .

And , just to be clear , I knew you knew .
    Hyperbole is so overrated .

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    This thing will stop 17% of flying objects hitting the driver , apparently .
    Thus , we can extrapolate that these objects will still hit the driver 83% of the time .

Is that good enough , or is just good enough to say that they did something ?

Does it leave them with more than 83% of their vision ?

It doesn't seem 17% safer at all .
    I keep telling you all. The only safe thing is no driver. Second place, put a roof on the cars and doors to get in and out. OH, wait....we already have that. It's just called something else.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I disagree 100% with Halo. Drivers take their lives into their own hands and accept the potential consequences of taking part in open seater competition. This is why it is referred to as open seater. Halo is unnecessary and ugly. The cars are safe enough nowadays. We can never eliminate risk entirely.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    I know Joe Supermarket , and when he smells blood , he's on the edge of his couch .
    Sounds painful.

I think that there's a topical cream for that.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Concerns over how long it takes to exit the car with the halo in place are apparently being addressed by extending the allowed time from 5 seconds to 8-10 seconds .

That sounds safe .

Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    Concerns over how long it takes to exit the car with the halo in place are apparently being addressed by extending the allowed time from 5 seconds to 8-10 seconds .

That sounds safe .
    Great solution.

"Did you hear, the water is now safe to drink again"
    "Oh really ? it's about time, so they finally fixed the problem?"
    "Hell no, they decreased the safe limit"
    "Wives live longer than husbands, because they are not married to women" Colin Mochrie - "Whose Line is it anyway?" - The funniest TV show on earth!

So , it's supposed to stop 17% of large flying objects .

Tethers have made loosed tires a thing of the past , so , aren't most large items going to be carbon fiber ?
    And so , isn't this device going to shred the piece , deflecting the portion below it into the driver ?

It's said to be able to withstand 15 times the weight of an F1 car .
    Is it going to be removable for driver extraction in case of an incident ?

Will it become an aerodynamic device ?

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    Not impressed. It's a measure made claiming to be for safety, and seems to be of little use.

I'm sure if the rules allow it will be turned in to an aerodynamic device, and possibly impede the drivers getting out of the car as quickly as the new relaxed rule allows.

There had to be a better solution.

I'm never opposed to safety, regardless of what the drivers get paid or their level of comfort (or lack of) in safety aspects. I just think if the sporting body wants to make changes, they should be well thought out changes that don't cause another problem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm sure they're main consern isnt the looks of it, but the safety. So i dont complain.
    Once you race the ghost of speed will haunt you forever! And that is fine with me

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Autosport published a very good article on the halo's safety features. Here it is: http://www.autosport.com/news/report...-device-busted

Key points:

- When looking at possible accidents (flying debris, car-to-car accidents, etc.), the outcome is overwhelmingly positive.
    - Visibility does no longer seem to be a concern with drivers (other than with start lights, anyway).
    - Car extraction isn't more complicated for marshals.
    - If a car ends up upside down, the halo gives more space to the driver.
    - If it deforms, it can be easily cut to release the driver.
    - They expect designs to become more pleasant and better fitting with car liveries.