Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Clear to me that Mercedes have made a big step in the understanding of their car and how to set it up over the last couple of races. Hungary is a very different track and usually temperature wise it's quite high which should suit Ferrari. If Mercedes's can win there then Ferrari will have to do something special over summer break as it seems to me that Mercedes are now out developing them.

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post

The mercedes looked superb today. and for once, their strategy was on point.
    (on a side note though, Force India and Williams should be asking a few questions about their Mercedes spec engines, they seemed to be significantly less powerful than the works team. I know mercedes are usually open about delivering "somewhat" equal engines, but the deficit to their customers was drastic today)
    Well, this is what happens when there are three engine suppliers and ten teams, outside of the top teams the rest will get the junk. I think this is the reason McLaren went with Honda. This way they should have gotten the best engine and fought for podiums. Yeah, it went south but who else is going to step in and become the fourth engine supplier?
    Because without one, Mercedes, Ferrari, and Red Bull will be the only teams fighting for podiums and wins for years to come.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

3. Likes: truefan72 (17th July 2017)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    What happened to those tyres? I would have thought it was something to do with the Ferrari chassis but Verstapenn had the same problems. These Pirelli tyres are still a challenge l think. Everyone has been struggling to get the tyres to work at one point or the other.

With one point between Vettel and Hamilton, the drivers championship has just been blown wide open again. Especially with Bottas under a race win difference from Vettel and 23 points from Hamilton in second. It would seem a three horse race with Ricciado a dark horse hanging in the fringes.

The man of the race for me was Ricciado, but Bottas drove a truely magnificent race to land it in second place from ninth at the start of the race. Vettel took a hard blow today and with the progress that Mercedes have made in recent races, you have to think it is going to get even harder to fight the Mercs in coming races. The momentum has clearly shifted and Ferrari who are 45 points adrift in the constructors championship is reeling backwards.

How can anyone not mention Max Verstapenn? What a ballsy drive to snatch 3rd place from Vettel for most of the first half of the race. The power deficit of the Renault to the Ferrari was clearly demonstrated when Vettel used the undercut to get ahead of the pesky dutchman. It would seem Sainz is on his way out for the Redbull camp, l wonder if Redbull would be able to hang on to Verstapenn beyond 2018 with their current deficit to the Mercedes and Ferrari perfomance wise?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th July 2017 at 22:29.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    I'm wondering if Vettel's issue might have been something to do with this (around the 0:24 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNk9c9ddSLw

big lockup of the left front. Right before he went off at Luffield, he also locked up the left front going around Brooklands, but I don't know if that was because the tyre was already partially down (lockup around the 0:37 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hxau0FEug0

6. Likes: truefan72 (17th July 2017)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    The mercedes looked superb today. and for once, their strategy was on point.
    (on a side note though, Force India and Williams should be asking a few questions about their Mercedes spec engines, they seemed to be significantly less powerful than the works team. I know mercedes are usually open about delivering "somewhat" equal engines, but the deficit to their customers was drastic today)
    Good point, that was Ron Dennis's argument for going with Honda. Force One and Williams cannot beat Mercedes with a Mercedes engine. That said, there is more to it than just engine, the quality of their respective chassis is under par compared to the Mercedes, Ferrari and Redbull chassis. Even with the customer spec Mercedes engine, they should be quicker than any Renault powered car but they are not as Ricciado demonstrated today; as he overtook both Williams, Force One and Hass from the back of the grid to 4th. Luck had more to do with getting 4th but his maturity and experience certainly made the difference.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th July 2017 at 22:34.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

8. Likes: truefan72 (17th July 2017)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I'm wondering if Vettel's issue might have been something to do with this (around the 0:24 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNk9c9ddSLw

big lockup of the left front. Right before he went off at Luffield, he also locked up the left front going around Brooklands, but I don't know if that was because the tyre was already partially down (lockup around the 0:37 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hxau0FEug0
    yup, I firmly believe that was the main reason, along with really pushing the tires early in the stint. After all Bottas drove 35 laps on those tires with heavy fuel.
    I just think Ferrari didn't manage the tires that well and Verstappen probably pushed them too hard as well.
    They were the only 3 drivers with real tire problems
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    That was a very enjoyable race. Merc upped their game while Ferrari looked to have pushed too hard to try and compete.
    I'm not the greatest fan of Lewis's personality but as a driver.. respect where it's due. Boy was he on fire at the weekend. It seemed to me that he transcended the performance of the car
    That was more like the untouchable Lewis we used to see a lot more of.