Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
    Liked 216 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KKS View Post
    Thanks.

And why all other Australia Champ field not entry in WRC event, but only few of it?
    Aus champ have different route or what? So how Quinn was in two champs at same moment?
    This is normal for most WRC events, there is people entered in both the national series and the WRC field. Then those not entered in the WRC event will not show in the results, instead they were under either the ARC or the state event. The ARC ran the same stages as the WRC, the state guys did some less stages/days.

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...from-wrc-teams

"FIA rally director Jarmo Mahonen was rather more blunt in his assessment of Coffs Harbour, saying: "The good thing about this event is that it's very safe - because there are no spectators!"

A couple of numbnuts ruined that impression this year though!
    Its funny, as I thought about this after going home and realised that the number of spectators on the stages is about the same as we see in NZ rally championship events. Which makes sense as the areas we do rallies here have similar population numbers to the Coffs Harbour region.

2. Likes: smokingjoe (22nd November 2017)
    Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkvy View Post

Its funny, as I thought about this after going home and realised that the number of spectators on the stages is about the same as we see in NZ rally championship events. Which makes sense as the areas we do rallies here have similar population numbers to the Coffs Harbour region.
    Probably pretty much the same people too as without the Kiwi's who ventured across the Tasman there would be s.f.a. watching Rally Australia

4. Likes: smokingjoe (22nd November 2017)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Yes. As an Australian. can't be offended at any criticism of Rally Australia.

As a motorsport fan overall. In the past, I've actually been in disbelief that we continue to have a round. Reading the link from SubaruNorway's post. I don't get why the Rally is so important to the WRC?

Not that the event has to capture the imagination of the whole country. But I don't think it even gets much respect from the general motorsport fan. The event comes and goes, and the supercar race in Newcastle this weekend is a bigger deal for them.

If there were to be one WRC round in Oceania, then it's likely that it's better to be held in NZ.

6. Likes: AndyRAC (22nd November 2017),Eli (22nd November 2017),Grundo Farb (23rd November 2017),Rally Power (23rd November 2017),sonnybobiche (22nd November 2017)
    Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    Because if there's one thing the Promoter loves more than anything, it's money. But it doesn't expect to be the Promoter forever, so, like an African dictator, it prefers to exploit the sport to make money quickly rather than grow the sport to make more money long term.

Hence Australia rather than New Zealand, Turkey rather than Poland, all those pointless years in Alsace, the China debacle, etc.

We've seen much the same in recent years in F1 with the loss of classic races like Estoril, Magny-Cours, Zandvoort, Hockenheim, etc. So there are no F1 grands prix in Portugal, France, the Netherlands, or Germany, but there are races in... Azerbaijan. Some backwoods in Russia. Bahrain. Abu Dhabi. Singapore. Turkey, briefly. Korea, briefly. India, briefly. All paying 25 million plus per race.

CVC capital partners exploited the hell out of F1 to make a quick buck, knowing that they were not interested in the long term health of the sport. The WRC Promoter is doing the same, just less successfully.

8. Likes: GravelBen (22nd November 2017)
    Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    I totally see the point. Perth was a great location and with 1,5 milj people, lots of potential spectators. Why movet into a small village in the middle of nowhere

10. Likes: AndyRAC (22nd November 2017)
    Liked 1,243 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COD View Post
    I totally see the point. Perth was a great location and with 1,5 mill people, lots of potential spectators. Why move into a small village in the middle of nowhere
    Well, I think the government of WA pulled their funding after a new administration came to power.

I wish events could attract commercial sponsorship/ funding instead of relying on regional/ tourist boards for backing - eventually they will pull the plug. However, as we've seen with M-Sport, big money sponsors are hard to come by - even with the 'success' of the new, improved WRC.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

12. Likes: sonnybobiche (15th February 2019)
    Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    If there were to be one WRC round in Oceania, then it's likely that it's better to be held in NZ.
    Likely better for who?
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.