Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 727
  1. #701
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    719
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 314 Times in 181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Explanation was that the stage got cancelled due to damaged access roads? In my head that means damage to roads that emergency services have to travel in case something happens.

    We have seen on the Power Stage how dry and clean it was compared to the morning so I have no reason to believe the stage before was much different.

    -----
    As a side note what has Mikkelsen? to do with super treacherous conditions, he got 2 punctures on a dry stage. Those that got caught out in treacherous conditions were Lefevbre and Breen (and to a much lesser degree Latvala). Starting to think you were watching different rally.
    The entire rally took place during changeable conditions and Mikkelsen was undoubtedly caught out by them. It was a known fact that the stages were difficult and not entirely dry during Saturday and Sunday. Mikkelsen made his own mistake but the road wasn't completely dry and grippy.

    It is correct that the access roads' condition was the reason for the cancellation, though. That's just a shame.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  2. #702
    M-Sport WRC Champions Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    9,047
    Like
    1,828
    Liked 4,088 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Lappi and Evans nearly went off on the Power Stage when it was really wet with standing water. And Latvala did go off through pushing too hard for the conditions.

    That's rallying - you have to drive to the conditions. None are too dangerous, its up to the driver to go at the right speed to get through them.
    The Incurable Enthusiast

  3. Likes: smokingjoe (21st November 2017)
  4. #703
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,131
    Like
    116
    Liked 722 Times in 389 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    The entire rally took place during changeable conditions and Mikkelsen was undoubtedly caught out by them. It was a known fact that the stages were difficult and not entirely dry during Saturday and Sunday. Mikkelsen made his own mistake but the road wasn't completely dry and grippy.
    Out of all the offs/incidents in this rally (Meeke 3x, Ogier 2x, Mikkelsen, Lefevbre, Breen, Latvala, Neuville, Lappi, Evans), Mikkelsens' and Meekes' had least to do with conditions. So very strange pick. Guess it was the easiest pick for you for some reason.

  5. #704
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    719
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 314 Times in 181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Out of all the offs/incidents in this rally (Meeke 3x, Ogier 2x, Mikkelsen, Lefevbre, Breen, Latvala, Neuville, Lappi, Evans), Mikkelsens' and Meekes' had least to do with conditions. So very strange pick. Guess it was the easiest pick for you for some reason.
    I feel you're trying to paint a picture in which I called out Mikkelsen for something. I'm not. He overcooked a corner, likely thinking he had enough grip in the mud, hit a bank and had to retire. Meeke's accident, on the other hand, was nearly unrelated to the conditions as you said.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  6. #705
    Senior Member Eli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,792
    Like
    782
    Liked 387 Times in 257 Posts
    Does anyone know when the crews are heading back to Europe?
    If in doubt, flat out!

  7. #706
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,131
    Like
    116
    Liked 722 Times in 389 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    I feel you're trying to paint a picture in which I called out Mikkelsen for something. I'm not. He overcooked a corner, likely thinking he had enough grip in the mud, hit a bank and had to retire. Meeke's accident, on the other hand, was nearly unrelated to the conditions as you said.
    I was trying really hard to find any mud on the onboard but failed. Either you have much better eyes, or you just remember it wrong.
    The onboard is on WRC+, in case you don't have it then on the open channel you just have views from before/after (with 2 punctures) during the same stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9SnXa1a-0w
    Looks totally dry with dust and everything. Driver comments suggest the same:
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/results...2017/?s=153101

    So yes I do feel you are calling Mikkelsen out for mistake in wet/tricky conditions when it was a mistake on completely dry stage.

  8. #707
    Senior Member SubaruNorway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Biri, Norway
    Posts
    3,879
    Like
    19
    Liked 755 Times in 315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    I feel you're trying to paint a picture in which I called out Mikkelsen for something. I'm not. He overcooked a corner, likely thinking he had enough grip in the mud, hit a bank and had to retire. Meeke's accident, on the other hand, was nearly unrelated to the conditions as you said.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Not going to join the conversation, but this is Mikkelsen's corner in the "Mud"
    It's just because they can go as low as 1.5 Bar starting the stage so it's easy to knock the air out that early in the stage when the tyres are low on pressure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

  9. #708
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    719
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 314 Times in 181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I was trying really hard to find any mud on the onboard but failed. Either you have much better eyes, or you just remember it wrong.
    The onboard is on WRC+, in case you don't have it then on the open channel you just have views from before/after (with 2 punctures) during the same stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9SnXa1a-0w
    Looks totally dry with dust and everything. Driver comments suggest the same:
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/results...2017/?s=153101

    So yes I do feel you are calling Mikkelsen out for mistake in wet/tricky conditions when it was a mistake on completely dry stage.
    Oops, I suck at remembering things. Well done then.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  10. #709
    Senior Member NickRally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    162
    Like
    108
    Liked 112 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Explanation was that the stage got cancelled due to damaged access roads? In my head that means damage to roads that emergency services have to travel in case something happens.

    We have seen on the Power Stage how dry and clean it was compared to the morning so I have no reason to believe the stage before was much different.

    -----
    As a side note what has Mikkelsen? to do with super treacherous conditions, he got 2 punctures on a dry stage. Those that got caught out in treacherous conditions were Lefevbre and Breen. Starting to think you were watching different rally.
    Maybe they should consider this fo access:


  11. Likes: A FONDO (21st November 2017)
  12. #710
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    3,647
    Like
    399
    Liked 1,159 Times in 336 Posts
    I can confirm that rain on cancelled stage started earlier and ended approximately one hour later than in Powerstage and it would have been very-very wet and slippy while running (it was planned to run more than hour before PS). Lefebre-s corner was so slippy that it was almost impossible to walk on it and one of the watersplash got dagerously deep. Sometimes you need to take unpopular decisions. So, I think it was a good idea to cancel, too many obstacles for drivers and possible emergency car along the stage and on the access roads.
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

  13. Likes: dimviii (20th November 2017),GravelBen (20th November 2017),steve.mandzij (20th November 2017),WRC1 (21st November 2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •