Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    You've raised some good points.

As for event formats, I sadly think we're stuck with the current 'generic WRC event'; I've never been a fan of the 'one size fits all' events - and would like to see a bit more variety to events. A mix of 2, 3 and even 4+ day events. Certain events, e;g the Monte should be a long Endurance type event (as should Rally of GB), wheres you could have Corsica over 2 days.
    I agree. Some good format were made in 2011 - 2013. Actually, Day 1 (Thursday) have no sense: shakedown for P1 and P2 is only a media event (they made tests on their own) and i preferred when events opened with two-three special stages (with some night stages), not with super special stages.

2. Likes: sonnybobiche (11th July 2017)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Croatia has nothing to offer, it will be another Bulgaria...

4. Likes: liposh (11th July 2017),sindroms (11th July 2017),steve.mandzij (11th July 2017)
    Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    Would Cyprus or the Acropolis (with external sponsorship to fund the event) be preferable?

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

WRC Calendar 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Zeakiwi View Post
    Would Cyprus or the Acropolis (with external sponsorship to fund the event) be preferable?
    I wouldn't want to see another rough gravel rally, we already have Mexico, Sardegna, Argentina and Portugal for that.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 11th July 2017 at 09:33.

Liked 359 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeakiwi View Post
    Both Acropolis and Cyprus would be preferable. Acropolis is a legend and also Cyprus is a very special event. Completely different to Mexico, Portugal or even Sardegna.

This years ERC Cyprus Rally was held also close to the biggest Tourist resorts of the island with some special stages going directly next to some beaches - stunning scenery for a TV powerstage for example. Michelle Mouton was also there to check the event this year according to some press releases. Maybe behind the curtain there is already something going on.

And Rally Acropolis is one of the iconic events in WRC. If it is in any form possible to have a WRC round there, it must have its place in the calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post

As for event formats, I sadly think we're stuck with the current 'generic WRC event'; I've never been a fan of the 'one size fits all' events - and would like to see a bit more variety to events. A mix of 2, 3 and even 4+ day events. Certain events, e;g the Monte should be a long Endurance type event (as should Rally of GB), wheres you could have Corsica over 2 days.
    But Tour de Corse used to be one of the longest events, not by the number of days, but by stage hours. The drivers would spend four hours on stages a day, the same amount a 1000 Lakes Rally would last in total.

Rallying was more endurance based up until the Group B ended, then it became more speed oriented. Even the "Grand Prix" event, 1000 Lakes Rally used to have just two legs until 1985, a normal Friday evening leg and then a second leg which lasted for 24 hours with only lunch and dinner breaks, driving all night with no sleep in between. I think it's fair to say that you don't race it up to the tenths of second on the last hours of that leg.

The current WRC format is most likely made to fit for TV. They want to put emphasis on the power stage. If you drive five days in the woods before the power stage, there's no reason to count the seconds anymore, everything's already decided. This season we've had even the winner being decided on the power stage, that's exactly what they want. And TV is also why all events have a more or less same timetable, they must end on Sunday afternoon. In the 80's, RAC And Monte Carlo would start on a Sunday

Rallying has also become more intense with the split times and real time following. Back in the 70's even the drivers didn't know what their position was when they entered a stage. Personally I think 2,5 days of intense split time following is a good amount, if the rallies lasted for more days or were run in the night time, I'd probably fall back to just checking the results every now and then.

At the same time, I wouldn't mind if some events were allowed to have a proper competitive day on Thursday. Like GB, Monte, TDC.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 11th July 2017 at 08:42.

9. Likes: bearclaw (11th July 2017),Rally Power (11th July 2017),steve.mandzij (11th July 2017),the sniper (11th July 2017)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I wouldn't want to see another rough gravel rally, we already have Mexico, Sardegna, Acropolis and Portugal for that.
    acropolis ? wake up kid.... we do not have acropolis.

11. Likes: AnttiL (11th July 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    acropolis ? wake up kid.... we do not have acropolis.
    Well whatever rally starts with an A

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Honestly just moving the event format back to what it was a few years ago (three relatively full legs, plus some Thursday PM stages) would be a victory.

We've been locked into the same format for quite a few years now. I guess the basic question is: does it work?

I'm trying to look at this objectively. Because as someone who attends 3-4 rounds a year I want to ultimately see more rallying. Always. But damn this year has been good so far. The best season in a LONG time.

WRC Promoter could probably come out and say - our product is fine, we're not changing a thing.

As fans we're not privy to the real TV numbers. We can look anecdotally at the amount of fans in the stages, the number of WRC cars and sponsors coming/going. I guess if even a great season like this isn't growing the profile of the sport then that's a problem.

What are the long-term goals for the WRC? What should they be?
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

14. Likes: bearclaw (11th July 2017),Mintexmemory (11th July 2017),PLuto (11th July 2017),sonnybobiche (12th July 2017),steve.mandzij (11th July 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by tc10a View Post
    Both Acropolis and Cyprus would be preferable. Acropolis is a legend and also Cyprus is a very special event. Completely different to Mexico, Portugal or even Sardegna.
    Actually looking at the average speeds on juwra, seems that Cyprus would be something different indeed to the season because the winning average speeds have been only 60-70 km/h whereas the current rough gravel events or Acropolis have more like 80-90 km/h (Argentina closer to 100 in the last two years).

EDIT: Should have gone to ewrc for more recent results, apparently now it's a mixed surface event that's again faster...
    Last edited by AnttiL; 11th July 2017 at 14:03.