Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
    What Pantealex was pointing out is that in the proximty of NZ rally (lets say 1000 km radius) lives something like 5 - 10 millions peope. In the same proximity of rally Finland there are more like 100 millions peoples living.

You can make the radius 2000 km, 5000 km etc still number of people living within this range will be greater by at least an order of magnitude.

Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Ive been to NZ many times and I completely agree. The only issues for a tourist would be driving on the right side and the urge to pull over every 5 minutes to take in the scenery. Driving around the South Island is beautiful. By far the most beautiful scenery of the many countries I've been fortunate to see.

If you plan a 4 hour road trip give yourself an extra 3 because you will be stopping a lot!

3. Likes: KKS (27th August 2017)
    Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToKu View Post
    What Pantealex was pointing out is that in the proximty of NZ rally (lets say 1000 km radius) lives something like 5 - 10 millions peope. In the same proximity of rally Finland there are more like 100 millions peoples living.

You can make the radius 2000 km, 5000 km etc still number of people living within this range will be greater by at least an order of magnitude.
    But does that even matter when most viewers are following it on tv or online? If it was funded by the number of spectators on the ground rallying would be long dead.

In fact the spectators on the ground might not even be the WRC promoter target market because they are probably not following it so much online / on tv while they're standing beside a stage. The tv/online market are the people who aren't there in person.

5. Likes: AndyRAC (27th August 2017)
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiWRCfan View Post
    Having read this post I must reflect on my day out watching a rally and be very thankful that no cannibals have eaten me today. I am also very happy none of my friends or family have been eaten by cannibals today.
    I checked with other rally fans to find out how many rally fans have been eaten by cannibals, apparently it has never happened.
    If you want to come to a rally in NZ you will be safe from Cannibals and have a great time.

While greatly relieved I should gently point out he said "surrounded by" cannibals....not populated by..

Then again, I din't think NZ was surrounded by anything except the South Pacific for more than 2000 km in every direction..
    You're down there..how far is it over to the Western Island? 2029km--I went and checked ---to Sydney..
    see what I mean?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    But does that even matter when most viewers are following it on tv or online? If it was funded by the number of spectators on the ground rallying would be long dead.

In fact the spectators on the ground might not even be the WRC promoter target market because they are probably not following it so much online / on tv while they're standing beside a stage. The tv/online market are the people who aren't there in person.
    All of course is justification for staging all rounds of the championship in and around the areas where the teams are based. A world championship doesn't have to travel. Rallying is a European sport.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt View Post
    All of course is justification for staging all rounds of the championship in and around the areas where the teams are based.
    I can't see that his argument supports that at all. If anything stage side spectators are viewed as an inconvenience on most rallies nowadays by the FIA, promoter and rally organisers. The WRC has the freedom to seek out the best stages/rallies in the world to make the best product/show for its global audience, I think most of this audience (including us here) believe New Zealand would contribute strongly to the product/show.

A world championship doesn't have to travel.
    It literally does.

Rallying is a European sport.
    With a long history of events outside of Europe...

9. Likes: sonnybobiche (29th August 2017)
    Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    Roadside spectators are important for villages and regions who often sponsor the rallye. They want as much spectators as possible in the restaurants, bars and hotels in the region. Also, the local sponsors like a lots of (local) people for exposure.

Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A FONDO View Post
    Finland itself is perhaps a poor market but it has many neighbours who visit it. NZ has only cannibals and coconuts around it.
    The term "Coconuts" is deemed racist by many

By the way Tourism is New Zealand's biggest industry

Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
    Rallying is a sport very hard to show on screen, and it can't gain, build and maintain popularity with tv and online transmission.
    IMHO if organiser and FIA replace rallies with big crowds on ground and three pages start lists with beautiful, but deserted events for 20 cars then.... rallies would become some exotic niche even faster then I thougt.

Of course there are some people who believe rallying is already exotic niche...

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk2 RS2000 View Post
    The term "Coconuts" is deemed racist by many
    Didn't know that. I meant the fruit that floats in the sea and travels up to 2000 kms between islands. Or I should have used any of the local fish species. Anyway Toku got the idea.