Page 187 of 191 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 1904
    Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A FONDO View Post
    Thank you for this review, despite the exhaustion it must have been a great feeling to be with the team and tackle a challenge and successfully fulfil it.

Was this a one-off because of the specific nature of this event, or you are booked for next ones aswell?
    Yes, it was fun whole season, easier events from my office and more difficult events on site.
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

2. Likes: Aquagen (2nd February 2018),cali (2nd February 2018),pantealex (1st February 2018)
    Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    It's just a part of Ogier's long-term tactics. He used all of 2017 to lure all his competitors into cruise mode so he can win all the rallies in 2018.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this were true.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    Are the MC winter tyre softer than the studded tyre?
    So if there's just snow and slush you want the winter tyre, but for frost like on Thursday and Col De Turini you choose the studded.
    I see on the highlight there are tyres without studs, but holes made for them eventually. May be this answers Your question. There is a possibility those are used tyres with studs gone though.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    I was just wondering since studless road tyres are softer than the studded ones.
    Studdles fades really fast though, scared myself once only after a few corners on dry tarmac since it was suddenly like driving on marbles.

Did DJI stop doing WRC btw?
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Perhaps it depends on the manufacturer?!?
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    It's just a part of Ogier's long-term tactics. He used all of 2017 to lure all his competitors into cruise mode so he can win all the rallies in 2018.
    Actually I had a thought like that to. I don't think it's intentional but everybody repeating the mantra of just taking home points gives him the opportunity of opening the tabs a bit more.

8. Likes: AnttiL (1st February 2018)
    Liked 296 Times in 135 Posts
    Interesting indeed... let's see what Sweden brings in terms of risk versus good points. Ogier finished with 1min advantage the Monte, they may all use the same approach now, but they are not 5x champion with natural raw speed...

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    I was just wondering since studless road tyres are softer than the studded ones.
    Studdles fades really fast though, scared myself once only after a few corners on dry tarmac since it was suddenly like driving on marbles.
    Don't know how it is now but at least few years back the Monte Carlo tyres without studs were actually pretty crappy on snow in comparison to anything except what was available for Monte. In 2010 we had Prague rallysprint with snow (on asphalt - so just like Monte) and no studs allowed. P.G. Andersson was using Monte tyres and he was completely destroyed by guys using stock winter tyres or even protector tyres with a 30-years old rally pattern (used by rallycars in 80'). P.G. himself told me the Monte tyres were really bad without studs exactly because they were too hard.

Check this stage (full snow technical stage quite similar to what You can find in RMC): https://rally-base.com/2010/tipcars-...43&ssGroupId=1

Less than 7 km and PG was 37 seconds slower without spinning or some other mistake. If I remember Valoušek - the fastest guy was on stock 18" wide Nokian WR tyres with additional hand cuts. I don't remember all other but Pech and Štajf were on very old narrow Matador non-studded snow rally tyres (the softest snow rally tyres ever produced I believe).

PS The stock Nokians were gone after 20 km if I remember.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

11. Likes: Adler (1st February 2018),cali (2nd February 2018),dimviii (1st February 2018),electroliquid (2nd February 2018),pantealex (2nd February 2018),sindroms (2nd February 2018),sonnybobiche (1st February 2018),steve.mandzij (1st February 2018),SubaruNorway (1st February 2018),TWRC (1st February 2018)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Think that's why SubaruNorway is asking.

"Studless snow tire" can mean extremely different properties depending on the compound. Stock example since you mentioned Nokian would be the difference between studless Hakkapeliitta and the "Central Europe" WR D3. In full snow/ice conditions it is about as much of a step between them as there is between summer tires and the WR D3. But this also counts the opposite way if it's wet tarmac. The studless Hakkapeliitta feels like jelly compared with the WR D3.

13. Likes: Aquagen (2nd February 2018),Mirek (1st February 2018),pantealex (2nd February 2018)
    Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Thank you for the story.
    And and this is why i find watching the cars on snow in MC a bit of an anticlimax since i know i could go faster in my own STI in most places. (If I'm brave enough)
    A third tyre option for full snow would be good and safer, i wonder if they have tried a stock Michelin winter tyre before to see how it works.

In America they use this funny thing called tractionizing if you haven't seen it before.
    https://youtu.be/P5bnYgI30ZQ
    Last edited by SubaruNorway; 1st February 2018 at 20:28.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

15. Likes: Mirek (1st February 2018)