Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
My rally review:
You forgot Lappi there IMO he was the most impressive driver, second to Tanak. I doubted his tarmac pace a little bit after Finland last year but even with minimal experience and on tarmac of all surfaces he still managed to almost snatch 4th. Not only is he a quick driver but he's also fairly reliable when on a mission to finish his rallies.

However, this year's Monte was a horrible metric on which to form assumptions for the rest of the year. The changeable weather left massive gaps between most drivers very early on and except for Neuville climbing to fifth no drivers pushed. The rally didn't give us a benchmark for flat out pace nor for survival pace. It was an endurance event where many drivers kept it clean waiting for everyone else to make a mistake.

(to be fair what I said above is in reference to Latvala's pace he was consistently slower than Tanak, yes, but still finished third and made it constantly clear that his goal was to finish the rally safely.)

I think Sweden and Mexico will be proper showcases of the cars' speed and the drivers' ability, and after those rounds we'll be able to predict the outcome of the year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk