Page 15 of 152 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    I've spent quite a lot for my first Rally Sweden, but now going for the 5th time sure it is worth it. Some good jacket, pants and especially shoes are important. Most difficult is to keep warm on shakedown, as you're standing still for a very long time. A good tip can be to put some plastic (or tree branches) under your feet, to keep the snow away from your shoes. If it's really icy like 2 years ago, it can be handy to get some "spikes" for your shoes. They cost nearly nothing and you can buy them at most petrol stations. For those who forget something or have issues with shoes or anything else, it could be interesting to know there's some sports/outdoors store in Torsby not so far from service, at the ICA Supermarket (roundabout where E16 meets E45). We've needed it once for a friend who's shoes weren't waterproof enough.

But ok, I've never had really cold temperatures in Sweden, sure there are some guys with a lot of experience on this forum to tell more about it...

Liked 98 Times in 52 Posts
    can i ask something?the road positition on the first 2 days play a role?are there any road cleaning?
    Thanks.
    R.I.P.Colin Mcrae

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spyros View Post
    can i ask something?the road positition on the first 2 days play a role?are there any road cleaning?
    Thanks.
    If there is fresh snow yes.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    There can be minimal roadcleaning or playing a snowplow. Winter roads... First passers also have to create a line each time, because national and historic use narrower tyres.

5. Likes: AnttiL (31st January 2018)
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    In my opinion you can overact with everything else, but not with the shoes. When spectating a winter rally, one thing you just must have are proper winter shoes and wool socks, otherwise you're doomed.
    Everybody thinks they are smart..But after living I don't know how many winters in Sweden I often say "OK you think you're smart and the brain is important...Try this: freeze your feet and tell me how well you can think."

On shoes....make sure there is plenty of room..Air is insulator...Try the shoes with the correct socks and feet not JAMMED in...If too small by 1/2 size it smooshes the wool....foot in contact with outside of shoe and you freeze foot and brain stops functioning.
    Brain stops functioning and you do stupid things. Like punching the gas on transits and getting a little sideways for 2 seconds.
    then there will be international scandals in the worlds press.

I say this as somebody who win the transit over 9 other cars leaving parking in Sweden spectator area back to main road... 15km and started maybe 10 position...by the last long downhill into 1st.. Handbrake turn for last ^ onto main road.....and first car I see coming other way was cop car. Thank god he don't see because Swedish Polis are specially chosen for extra low intelligence.....in other countries they would be in a nice comfortable place with rubber walls but there it is employment...they get very excited...be relentlessly cheerful, thank them for being very nice and helpful for explaining things and ask them LOTS of complicated questions---like directions, museum opening times, act very pleasant but stupid...(All Swedes think everybody else is some degree stupider..English -10%, Norwegians -90%, Finns -110%, everybody else even stupider...so make them happy)

So to review...good socks, maybe thin by the skin then THICK wool and lots of space.

And depending on temp, an umbrella...worst thing in the world is standing in snow on feet in the rain at +2-5*
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

7. Likes: Franky (31st January 2018),pantealex (31st January 2018),Rally Hokkaido (1st February 2018),rallye-vid (31st January 2018),Rallyper (31st January 2018)
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    In your opinion who is gonna win Rally Sweden? Toyota first win last year and considering they have really good quick car this year or maybe Thierry Neuville - he was leading almost whole rally last year.

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Talking boots for Rally Sweden:

Have you heard of Tay Sport from Muck Boot Company?
    Is absolutely the warmest winther boot I´ve ever had. And that says a lot my friends. Bought it in a hunting store in my hometown. Buy one number bigger, as Jan VanVurpa says. Satisfaction Guaranteed.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 1,176 Times in 389 Posts
    To stay warm you need to spend a lot, no other option
    Who's going? I'll be there.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Wow! Quite impressed with the total amount of responses here! I appreciate that! Thank you very much!

I have more or less everything under control by now. Proper jacket-trousers-thermal first layer... and boots. May be I'll take your advice and go for good socks!

Can't wait to be there enjoying the rally and the country. Fingers crossed to stay dry and warm!

12. Likes: Hartusvuori (1st February 2018),pantealex (1st February 2018),Rallyper (1st February 2018),satukata (31st January 2018)
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    Everybody thinks they are smart..But after living I don't know how many winters in Sweden I often say "OK you think you're smart and the brain is important...Try this: freeze your feet and tell me how well you can think."

On shoes....make sure there is plenty of room..Air is insulator...Try the shoes with the correct socks and feet not JAMMED in...If too small by 1/2 size it smooshes the wool....foot in contact with outside of shoe and you freeze foot and brain stops functioning.
    Brain stops functioning and you do stupid things. Like punching the gas on transits and getting a little sideways for 2 seconds.
    then there will be international scandals in the worlds press.

I say this as somebody who win the transit over 9 other cars leaving parking in Sweden spectator area back to main road... 15km and started maybe 10 position...by the last long downhill into 1st.. Handbrake turn for last ^ onto main road.....and first car I see coming other way was cop car. Thank god he don't see because Swedish Polis are specially chosen for extra low intelligence.....in other countries they would be in a nice comfortable place with rubber walls but there it is employment...they get very excited...be relentlessly cheerful, thank them for being very nice and helpful for explaining things and ask them LOTS of complicated questions---like directions, museum opening times, act very pleasant but stupid...(All Swedes think everybody else is some degree stupider..English -10%, Norwegians -90%, Finns -110%, everybody else even stupider...so make them happy)

So to review...good socks, maybe thin by the skin then THICK wool and lots of space.

And depending on temp, an umbrella...worst thing in the world is standing in snow on feet in the rain at +2-5*
    Wait! you guys "like" what I say? About "winning" the transit from spectator area?
    I was in a Citroen...Like this:

And like this weekend I choose tarmac tires, almost slicks.... (to a cop you say ''Hur så utsliten? Det finns knappt en repa på dom''...which is more or less ''How do you mean worn out? There hardly a mark on them''

God I hope I didn't create a scandal....I was driving a Citroen, I hope I didn't hurt their reputation and cause a loss of sales since I represented them by owning one and driving like that. (With a 1,3 motor you have to get close and hold the inside line. left turns were best because if I just drive tighter line I could get next to them in the corner...and they would give up so just a little throttle and complete the pass. left was good so I could see the edge of the road and see how much inside I could place the wheels..)
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat