Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
In my opinion you can overact with everything else, but not with the shoes. When spectating a winter rally, one thing you just must have are proper winter shoes and wool socks, otherwise you're doomed.
Everybody thinks they are smart..But after living I don't know how many winters in Sweden I often say "OK you think you're smart and the brain is important...Try this: freeze your feet and tell me how well you can think."

On shoes....make sure there is plenty of room..Air is insulator...Try the shoes with the correct socks and feet not JAMMED in...If too small by 1/2 size it smooshes the wool....foot in contact with outside of shoe and you freeze foot and brain stops functioning.
Brain stops functioning and you do stupid things. Like punching the gas on transits and getting a little sideways for 2 seconds.
then there will be international scandals in the worlds press.

I say this as somebody who win the transit over 9 other cars leaving parking in Sweden spectator area back to main road... 15km and started maybe 10 position...by the last long downhill into 1st.. Handbrake turn for last ^ onto main road.....and first car I see coming other way was cop car. Thank god he don't see because Swedish Polis are specially chosen for extra low intelligence.....in other countries they would be in a nice comfortable place with rubber walls but there it is employment...they get very excited...be relentlessly cheerful, thank them for being very nice and helpful for explaining things and ask them LOTS of complicated questions---like directions, museum opening times, act very pleasant but stupid...(All Swedes think everybody else is some degree stupider..English -10%, Norwegians -90%, Finns -110%, everybody else even stupider...so make them happy)

So to review...good socks, maybe thin by the skin then THICK wool and lots of space.

And depending on temp, an umbrella...worst thing in the world is standing in snow on feet in the rain at +2-5*