Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    Banned. How much use is it to post if you not agree. Another extension of Sebs lead this wekleend. I like it bu i´m not sure if i would like to chair my like, theirs to much hate.
    I'll always defend your right to an opinion , Mia .

I may not agree , but it's important to hear both sides .

2. Likes: Mia 01 (12th July 2017)
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    On the road, yes. Not in a race.
    Is there a good reason why the FIA standards for Formula One should be worse? That is the standard for club racing and as far as I am aware, V8Supercars.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Is there a good reason why the FIA standards for Formula One should be worse? That is the standard for club racing and as far as I am aware, V8Supercars.
    I don't know where you're getting that from. It's never been the standard in any form of racing from club to international.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    You should be at a distance that you're able to pull up in time no matter what the car in front does.
    You're talking about applying the 2-second rule to racing, which would make DRS kind of useless for starters, and slipstreaming would be impossible.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    I don't know where you're getting that from. It's never been the standard in any form of racing from club to international.
    Actually, you are mistaken about that. It is always the responsibility of the car behind to avoid contact. I'll refer you to the Sports Car Club of America's General Competition Rules (GCR) to confirm. SCCA is the largest sanctioning body for club racing in the world, so it's not just some off the wall local group.

In the case of brake checking, that would be covered under unsportsmanlike conduct.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

So if you're slipstreaming someone, and the car in front makes a mistake, let's say misses a gear, resulting in you colliding with the back of him, you would expect to be penalised by the stewards? That's a new one on me.
    I've watched a lot of racing at a lot of different levels and I've never seen a form where drivers always leave a gap to the car in front, just in case the guy ahead hits the brakes or has a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Actually, you are mistaken about that. It is always the responsibility of the car behind to avoid contact. I'll refer you to the Sports Car Club of America's General Competition Rules (GCR) to confirm.
    Is this what you're referring to, 6.11.1 D:

The overtaking driver is responsible for the decision to pass another car and to accomplish it safely. The overtaken driver is responsible to be aware that he is being passed and not to impede or block the overtaking car. A driver who does not use his rear view mirror or who appears to be blocking another car attempting to pass may be black flagged and/or penalized, as specified in Section 7.
    That's clearly a rule about overtaking, not about how closely you should follow.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    That's clearly a rule about overtaking, not about how closely you should follow.
    I never said anything about following closely, just that it is the overtaking drivers responsibility to avoid contact. There are always extenuating circumstances and you can parse the hell out of most anything if you try.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I never said anything about following closely, just that it is the overtaking drivers responsibility to avoid contact.
    I think you misread the conversation you jumped into then. Rollo said that "You should be at a distance that you're able to pull up in time no matter what the car in front does," I disagreed that this was a standard in any form of racing, and you said I was wrong.

Vettel wasn't trying to overtake Hamilton when he ran into the back of the Mercedes, so rules on overtaking aren't really relevant.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    I vote Vettel must be banned from racing for life. His driver license, Netflix, and Amazon Prime membership must be revoked for at least five years.

Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    I think you misread the conversation you jumped into then. Rollo said that "You should be at a distance that you're able to pull up in time no matter what the car in front does," I disagreed that this was a standard in any form of racing, and you said I was wrong.

Vettel wasn't trying to overtake Hamilton when he ran into the back of the Mercedes, so rules on overtaking aren't really relevant.
    Can I drop in that it wasn't insignificant that Hamilton got off the hook in this because he acted the same way he had acted on the first restart ?
    The data said he acted within his rights as a driver .
    We should be able to extend that logic to say that , had he slowed more , he might have moved into the realm of being penalized , himself .

Thus , we should be able to say that there is , indeed , some responsibility for the driver leading the pack into a restart to act in a safe manner .

12. Likes: Mia 01 (13th July 2017)