Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Should Vettel be banned?

In the last two seasons have had occasion to some of worst behaviour if F1 displayed by the Four time F1 champion Sebastian Vettel. There was the infamous Mexico incident when on open radio, Vettel unleashed a tirade of abuses at the Racing Director Charlie Whiting much to the shock of every televised audience across the globe.

To everyone's surprise he was let off on the basis that he apologized for his actions. One thing was certain, if that was anyone else, they would slapped with the stiffest penalty available.

This season, we get a repeat of his red mist eruption as we all watch with disbelief as Vettel crashed into the rear of Hamilton's car and then, in what looked clearly like a red mist moment, pulled up alongside Hamilton and rammed his front tyre into Hamilton's front tyre.

Vettel was adamant during and after the race, that Hamilton deliberately brake checked him. However he stewards saw things differently and handed Vettel a 10 sec penalty. Most of us were quite flabbergasted at the meager punishment levele at Vettel.

Some argued that the punishment was too lenient. So what is the right punishment for a repeat infringement of the rules?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 27th June 2017 at 17:43.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Well, he does get penalty points (three for yesterday's incident) on his super-license and is only three points away from a race ban. I think that's a reasonable system that if introduced earlier would probably have meant an earlier Ferrari debut for Luca Badoer or a sighting of Pirro in a McLaren-Honda
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    I just think Seb. has basically made a fool of himself. Specifically when he was all like saying he would call LH and clear the air,and the Boss ejaculated "Shi' mo', homie don't even have my number, and he best not even axe me for it. Be doin' my talking on the track.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Road Transport Act 2013 (NSW)

Section 118 - Menacing driving

(1) Offence-intent to menace A person must not drive a motor vehicle on a road in a manner that menaces another person with the intention of menacing that other person.

Maximum penalty: 30 penalty units or imprisonment for 18 months or both (in the case of a first offence) or 50 penalty units or imprisonment for 2 years or both (in the case of a second or subsequent offence).

I wouldn't put him in prison but revoking his licence for 2 calendar years from 26th Jun 2017 to 25th Jun 2019 seems appropriate to me.

This isn't forever sort of intent as Senna or Schumacher but it's still deliberate.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    I just think Seb. has basically made a fool of himself. Specifically when he was all like saying he would call LH and clear the air,and the Boss ejaculated "Shi' mo', homie don't even have my number, and he best not even axe me for it. Be doin' my talking on the track.
    we could do without your poor take on ebonics.
    Have you heard Hamilton talk that way?
    why do you have to go there Tazio? SMH
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Abowe, we don´t need to walk down that line.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Yeah, 100% he should be banned. I have heard that the FIA are considering taking further action against him for Sunday as well. He needs to be taught a good hard lesson.

I see that the cowardly useless commentator that is Martin Brundle has come out and said that he feels the 10 second stop go penalty was enough. I hope that Sky get rid if this tool. He has been useless for a while now. He is too concerned nowadays with protecting his next Ferrari F1 day outing than he is with expressing his opinion. The commentators on Sky have it too cushy. Sometimes you just got to come out and say it as it is and none of them have the balls to do this. Too gutless the lot of them.

Should we use a red mist moment as an excuse we can excuse all sort of things that happened in the past such as Jerez 97, Monaco 2006 etc None of them can really be excused and whether they be mistakes or not the punishments handed out for them were all appropriate imo

Furthermore, it is understood now that the Stewards bottled it on Sunday. They were reluctant to give a black flag to Sebastien because they didn't want to interfere too much with the championship battle. To me this means two things:

1) None of them should ever be allowed steward an F1 race ever again. They bottled it and that isn't their job. Their job is to apply the law appropriately, not go easy on someone because they are in a championship battle.

2) Hamilton was very hard done by and instead of increasing his championship lead, Vettel got to increase his. Vettel needs to appear before the WMSC, be sanctioned and banned from the rest of this years championship.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    I don't think he should be banned. Yes, it was a regrettable and deeply stupid maneuver, but I don't think for a second it was a really dangerous move. Seb is a 4-times world champion and knows perfectly how to bang wheels at low speeds without causing damage to the cars. This is a matter of ethics and of whether someone with so many titles to their name should be driving like a hot-headed teenager, but I don't think there are safety grounds that warrant a race ban for him.

As a reminder, Pastor Maldonado did something much worse during qualifying at a Belgian GP and didn't get a race ban either.

9. Likes: gm99 (27th June 2017),Mia 01 (27th June 2017),pino (27th June 2017)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Road Transport Act 2013 (NSW)

Section 118 - Menacing driving

(1) Offence-intent to menace A person must not drive a motor vehicle on a road in a manner that menaces another person with the intention of menacing that other person.

Maximum penalty: 30 penalty units or imprisonment for 18 months or both (in the case of a first offence) or 50 penalty units or imprisonment for 2 years or both (in the case of a second or subsequent offence).

I wouldn't put him in prison but revoking his licence for 2 calendar years from 26th Jun 2017 to 25th Jun 2019 seems appropriate to me.

This isn't forever sort of intent as Senna or Schumacher but it's still deliberate.
    You can't apply the rules of the road to racing. Otherwise, you'd have to send all participants of Sunday's race to the den for taking part in a "race between vehicles" (Section 115 of the Road Transport Act 2013 [NSW])
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    It's hard to say what exactly the punishment should be. The 10 second penalty was much too light. On the low side I would sit him for one race and remove any points earned in this last race. Those advocating a several year ban are a little too harsh IMO. So for the high side I'd sit him for the rest of this year. Whether anything more comes of it remains to be seen.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

12. Likes: Big Ben (27th June 2017),truefan72 (27th June 2017)