Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 144 Times in 87 Posts

general wrc rally questions

Hello, i know most of you know about everything there is to know about how a wrc event works.
    Still, some here dont know all things (like me). So mayby some of the questions can be answerd here.

First, how many recce's do the crews do, see the stages only once, or twice?
    And what i also always wonder about when i am at the stage's, at what time does the first car start after the zero car has left the starting line?

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    Twice in WRC and ERC, usually three times in national events but it depends on local rules.

And what i also always wonder about when i am at the stage's, at what time does the first car start after the zero car has left the starting line?
    That depends on the stage length. It can be five minutes in case of a short stage or it can be way more if the stage has 50 km. The first competitor shall never ever catch the zero car (even though it happens from time to time) but the gap shall not be bigger than necessary because the more time pass the higher probability that something isn't alright anymore (people walking in stage etc.).
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Twice in WRC and ERC, usually three times in national events but it depends on local rules.
    Do European national events have 3 pass recce? I never knew that, its just 1 pass in NZ.

Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Do European national events have 3 pass recce? I never knew that, its just 1 pass in NZ.
    Never heard of 3 either and lots of smaller events in Sweden don't have recce at all and they don't publish the route until the same morning. All events have 2 pass in Norway.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

5. Likes: electroliquid (26th October 2017)
    I can't speak for all Europe but very often they have three (here in CZ we used to have two passes till our ASN stopped following FIA rules two years a go and since that time we have three).

Maybe other members can say how it is in their national events. It interests me as well especially when I see that You have only one pass in New Zealand.

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    ...lots of smaller events in Sweden don't have recce at all...
    Local club rallies in NZ are often blind rallies with no recce or pace notes, just a route book with cautions on particular hazards or intersections. But all the NZRC events use notes and 1 pass recce.

I guess that there are no asphalt rallies without recce anywhere in the world. It would be crazy dangerous IMO.

9. Likes: AL14 (26th October 2017)
    Liked 132 Times in 46 Posts
    3 passes allowed here in Ireland. I actually find 3 too many most of the time, dont bother with a third pass

Liked 216 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Local club rallies in NZ are often blind rallies with no recce or pace notes, just a route book with cautions on particular hazards or intersections. But all the NZRC events use notes and 1 pass recce.
    Except for Whangarei, which as an FIA (APRC) event is a 2 pass recce for all competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I guess that there are no asphalt rallies without recce anywhere in the world. It would be crazy dangerous IMO.
    We have a tarmac rally series called Targa which is blind, no organiser notes, no map reading/GPS or recce. It's normally more of an endurance event though (one of the events is normally a 4-5 day rally), with a speed limit of 200km/hr. So quite unusual compared to most other rallies.

12. Likes: GravelBen (26th October 2017),Mirek (26th October 2017)
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    In belgium the general rule is 2 passes on the national level, and 3 on lower levels.

Although a lot of organisers don't bother to check it, so its whatever you like then.
    Often you don't have enough time to recce the stages more than 2 or 3 times.