Page 73 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
    Liked 189 Times in 89 Posts
    The hubs are either forged aluminum or machined

White cast iron is used of cooking ware. Like pots and pans . Not the best for suspension components of race cars.

2. Likes: dimviii (7th October 2017),janvanvurpa (8th October 2017)
    Liked 4,464 Times in 1,928 Posts
    I thought as well but none of aluminium parts I have on my table is so white inside (I admit I don't have anything forged here only die casted and machined parts and moreover not suspension ones). Maybe some alloy is so white.

Maybe I used wrong English equivalent but what we call white iron in Czech (bílá litina) is actually used in automotive. I can see it's properly called whiteheart malleable cast iron or GJMW in EN code.
    Last edited by Mirek; 7th October 2017 at 20:54.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 472 Times in 263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    Haven't they had the hub break at the top bolt of the damper twice and Neuville in MC was maybe something with the hub?
    Paddon on Sardinia and Paddon in Finland was the top breaking after impacts. (not sure which one of the 2 offs Paddon had in Finland).

Neuville in MC don't know.

Liked 189 Times in 89 Posts
    Sounds like a problem to me. I’m sure they’ll be working on a new hub design at this rate.

Latvala has also had these weird “oil system failures” after hard impacts. Toyota’s have a few issues they need to solve as well but that’s expected. M-Sport has had the most reliable cars this year.

6. Likes: marcosg (7th October 2017)
    Liked 372 Times in 215 Posts
    Definitely a weakness for the Hyundai in that area; and not the first time they've had an issue - going back as far as the Monte.
    To see 2 cars retire in the same corner reminds me of M-Sport Ford at Rally China in 1999, when McRae and Radstrom both hit the same culvert - and immediately retired.
    WRC: On the long way to Recovery............
    Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 4,464 Times in 1,928 Posts
    I do not agree here. From the photo it is clear they hit the massive concrete. If other car survived that it's more or less pure luck.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 472 Times in 263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I do not agree here. From the photo it is clear they hit the massive concrete. If other car survived that it's more or less pure luck.
    WRC+ now has onboards of Mikkelsen, Østberg, Meeke and Hanninen from the spot.

Off course it's hard to judge with different camera positions but the first tree look like they are very much same spot in the cut (Østberg easiest to compare), Hanninen maybe a little bit more left, but still in cut.

I'd say either Hyundai weakness or they were the only 2 with wheels turned more out or a combination of both.

EDIT: Ogier also very similar line to Mikkelsen, Sordo seems to have been a bit more in than Mikkelsen though. Neuville a bit less in than both, similar line to Hanninen. Again it is hard to judge between cars from different teams due to camera placement, but clearly more cars than just the 2 that DNF were there.
    Last edited by mknight; 7th October 2017 at 22:04.

10. Likes: Jinu13 (8th October 2017)
    Liked 7,130 Times in 3,326 Posts

Liked 540 Times in 345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVillagra View Post
    I'm not a fan of Gorban - Ukraine driver and picture is fantastic!

13. Likes: bluuford (8th October 2017)
    Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Just watched highlights, Sordo, Mikkelsen and Tanak all clobber what definately seems to be storm drain, Tanak getting away with just a bent wheel rim. You can see onboard meeke clearly avoids the drain, and sounded to me the commentator said Sordo was warning him of the danger.

15. Likes: Jinu13 (8th October 2017)