Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alonso's future

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I wonder if Mclaren Mercedes partnership is likely to happen. If it does, then it would be wiser for Alonso to stay at Mclaren. I doubt Mercedes would drop any of their two very capable drivers for Alonso. While Vettel is at Ferrari, l doubt Ferrari would consider Alonso for Kimi's seat. They have a very capable multiple champion, it is hard to see why they would need Alonso. They would more likely need a very capable number two driver to work alongside Vettel.

But alot depends on what Vettels does in 2018. As Vettel has not signed his contract with Ferrari yet, there is the possibility for a 2018 crazy musical chairs movement of drivers. Judging by the great friendship between Vettel and Hamilton, the pairing of those two at Mercedes is not unimaginable. This may open the way for an Alonso return to Ferrari.

Alonso is shaking the tree to see what falls out. I doubt it would be a Mercedes or Ferrari but anything is possible in F1.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 17th June 2017 at 02:44.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Tazio (17th June 2017)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I think you are over looking an important point. It is said that the McLaren chassis is excellent and that all of the issues are with the Honda motor. With a really good car and even a hand me down Merc power unit the team could be competitive again with him driving.

Yeah, let's recall the success of the McLaren-Mercedes chassis of 2014, which was losing even to Williams-Mercedes. The excuse we have heard then was that Mercedes was not sharing any technical data with them. How is it going to be different this time? Mercedes will provide an engine and support that's at best good enough to be the best of the rest. But I guess having a second-class Mercedes engine is still a lot better than having an engine that can't even finish a race.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Technical data was shared, but shared late in 2013, hindering development because Honda. That's the rumour I have read about. I assume they will contract for equal engines anyway.

Apart from that, and a few races in late 2015, Mercedes provided equal engines to their customers. Seeing as there won't be major changes over the next few years, lack of technical guidance shouldn't be as much of an issue issue - after all Brawn strapped one in place of Honda and it played out well, same thing now that the formula is somewhat mature.

Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    Latest rumours have Williams taking up the Honda works status and the Macs taking a Merc next year .

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Latest rumours have Williams taking up the Honda works status and the Macs taking a Merc next year .
    That's a suicide note for Williams then.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    Technical data was shared, but shared late in 2013, hindering development because Honda. That's the rumour I have read about.
    I don't recall the rumors, but I recall articles in the press claiming that Mercedes people brought the engines before the race weekend, and then took them away from McLaren after the weekend. True story?

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    Technical data was shared, but shared late in 2013, hindering development because Honda. That's the rumour I have read about. I assume they will contract for equal engines anyway.

Apart from that, and a few races in late 2015, Mercedes provided equal engines to their customers. Seeing as there won't be major changes over the next few years, lack of technical guidance shouldn't be as much of an issue issue - after all Brawn strapped one in place of Honda and it played out well, same thing now that the formula is somewhat mature.
    Makes one wonder why the other Mercedes shod cars like Williams and Force India are not as competitive as Mercedes. Or at least faster than the Redbull with Renault engines. There is one thing having the powerful engine of Mercedes, there is the other challenge of making the chassis to mesh with the engine optimally. Mercedes builds their car as one whole unit, chassis and engine. Mclaren would build the chassis and try to make it work with the lump of the engine given to them by Mercedes. It does not take a genius to see that there is no way they can better the Mercedes car as there would always be some level of gulf of information that Mclaren has to overcome to get as competitive as Mercedes.

Regrettably, the Mclaren-Honda partnership seem to have this inherent problem. I suppose it does not make a difference if they use Mercedes engine or Honda engines. Championship wins is looking like a far cry for Mclaren at the moment.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    That's a suicide note for Williams then.
    Probably not, most can see that the Honda engine, even with its problem is show inherent pace. What can it do if they shed the reliability gremlin? The smart money is on Honda even though it looks woeful at the moment.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    I don't think Alonso will have any appealing options in F1. I can't see him getting an offer from Mercedes (preferring a low maintenance driver pairing), Ferrari (Burned bridges) or Red Bull (successful history of promoting from Torro Rosso), and I'm not sure anywhere else that isn't competing for victories would interest him.

I also think that his recent adventure at Indianapolis has opened his eyes to a fresh challenge away from F1 at the Indy 500 and possibly Le Mans too, which offers something fresher, more attainable and still prestigious.
    Time is the enemy.

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    I think Fred should start his own team. He could be owner, team principal, and #1 pilot. He could bring back Slash as the #2. They could simply brand it Six-Tenths. Get a hold of Some Merc PUs and take it from there. No problem!
    May the forza be with you

12. Likes: Koz (22nd June 2017)