Page 38 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Teams

Liked 240 Times in 108 Posts
    Just a speculation, but I can see Dani Sordo ending up at the new team of Guerlain Chicherit in World RX. Maybe there is still a connection to Prodrive after the time when he was driving the Mini...

2. Likes: pantealex (6th September 2017)
    Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    are you kidding me? how? i want a long explanation please.

To be honest my wish was that Ford would come back or some major sponsor would help Wilson and he could retain the same line-up. Tänak is getting on really well with Ogier and as you see M-sport is kicking everyones ass this season. Evans has also progressed and shows great speed. and i think they would have been even better next season.

But now it seems they will have a hard time next year.
    Not got time for a long explanation but just think back to before the season started.

Hyundai had a great driver line-up. Citroen had taken a year out to prepare and test the C3. Even Toyota had built their car earlier and had a hugely bigger budget. Everyone thought M-Sport would struggle. Ogier was the man but had no time in the car. Tanak wasnt yet a proven winner. Evans was just back from R5 season.
    #M-SPORTER

4. Likes: pantealex (6th September 2017)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Nah the pre-season speculation was Citroen>>Hyundai~M-Sport>>Toyota , but almost.

6. Likes: AnttiL (6th September 2017),leighton323 (6th September 2017),pantealex (6th September 2017),steve.mandzij (6th September 2017)
    Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    WRC could do with a few Formula one sponsors to run 4 car teams.
    https://www.grandprix247.com/2017/01...spend-in-2016/

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Very much in support of the 4 car team rule. With three car teams there are still not enough seats for the amount of talent out there, and if a team can't afford four paid drivers they can always put their moneyed guys like Al Qassimi or Ostberg in the fourth car to mop up points.

9. Likes: pantealex (6th September 2017)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    But you need to pay for a good driver to drive it. Cars dont score points on their own.
    How much is Evans getting paid ? How about Suninen? Östberg?
    Do you really think that those how are without contract want big money ? I´m pretty sure that Bonusmoney for good results is enough for them.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    How much is Evans getting paid ? How about Suninen? Östberg?
    Do you really think that those how are without contract want big money ? I´m pretty sure that Bonusmoney for good results is enough for them.
    I was talking about the cost of running a 4th car AND paying a driver.

Plus Ogier's salary for 2017 is a one-off paid by M.Wilson. That money will not be available again to fund a 4th official car in 2018.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    I was talking about the cost of running a 4th car AND paying a driver.
    It’s really hard to understand your objection to a possible 4 cars rule next year. Anyone should be delighted with it, because it means more official cars to watch and more opportunities for young drivers, making the series even more competitive.

Besides, MSport main target isn’t the manu title (Wilson said it many times) and they’re used to have paying drivers running on their team, so this probably won’t be a logistical and financial nightmare for MSport, like you're predicting.
    Rally addict since 1982

13. Likes: pantealex (7th September 2017)
    Liked 5,530 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Let's put Mads scoring this year and you have 4 M-Sport WRC cars

15. Likes: pantealex (7th September 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    If we assume three car teams, we have four paths to speculate now. Ford will either return or Ogier goes to Citroen, and Tänak can go to Toyota or stay at Ford/M-Sport.

1. Ford team returns
    I don't see any changes happening to the current seats, except that Toyota may want to exchange Hänninen for Suninen. But it would be a risk with having two rather inexperienced drivers in the same team.

2. Ford team returns, but Tänak still goes to Toyota
    This way, I would replace Tänak with Suninen, and Hänninen is left without a seat.

3. No Ford return, Tänak stays, Ogier goes to Citroen
    Lefebvre is put aside to drive the C3 R5, Suninen sits in the DMack car with Evans and Tänak in the M-Sport cars. Hänninen gets to stay at Toyota.

4. No Ford return, Tänak goes to Toyota and Ogier goes to Citroen
    Same as scenario 3, but Hänninen is now dropped for Tänak. M-Sport has one available seat, I'd assume Wilson puts Camilli there (he could also prefer Camilli to Suninen in scenarios 2-3). Or could this be Tidemand's chance? His manager didn't like the idea of having to pay for a drive...

Also in all above scenarios, Al-Qassimi and Loeb could drive Citroen here and there. And also I don't see any changes at the Hyundai camp, Paddon and Sordo would have to share the third car.

And I'd put my money on scenario 4...
    Last edited by AnttiL; 8th September 2017 at 08:19.