Page 29 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Teams

Liked 1,829 Times in 707 Posts
    Indeed I also think if Ford doesn't come back Ogier will go to Citroen. He said he would go to a manufacturer if Ford doesn't come back when he joined. It could also be that he is saying this publicly often to put pressure on Ford but that's just speculation on my part.

Indeed with 3 manufacturers committed it's hard for MSport to attract top drivers. Malcolm himself said more or less that he's putting savings into this year and can't do it again so most likely that means the car will slowly fall behind and they will do less preparations etc.

Maybe it's time to look at the potential teams again if we are to go with the latest rumors:
    MSport: Evans, Camilli, Sunninen
    Hyundai: Neuville, Sordo, Paddon
    Toyota: Latvala, Tanak, Lappi
    Citroen: Ogier, Meeke, Breen/Lefebvre sharing

That would kinda make Hyundai have the 3rd best lineup, but the 3 manufacturer teams would be close. It would also be interesting to see if any of them would run 4 cars more often.

Edit: d'oh I forgot Mikkelsen, but again he depends on Ogier I think.

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
    Well, Ogier and everyone else know C3 fails on gravel. Will he go for it then? He isn't a p5-p10 driver...
    Last edited by rallye-vid; 23rd August 2017 at 05:50.
    it's all about driving fast

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    Indeed with 3 manufacturers committed it's hard for MSport to attract top drivers. Malcolm himself said more or less that he's putting savings into this year and can't do it again so most likely that means the car will slowly fall behind and they will do less preparations etc.
    If they are also refusing to pay enough even for Tanak or Mikkelsen it will follow the previous fiesta story.
    In 2011 when it came it was a top car, especially on gravel where it even seemed better than DS3. By 2016 it was clearly the slowest car...in a way also with comparatively weakest driver lineup.

Also worth mentioning is how the DS3 seemingly improved compared with Polo between 2014-2016. That's imo what Ogier is talking about, you need continuing commitment/money for development and testing to stay on top.

4. Likes: AnttiL (21st August 2017),pantealex (21st August 2017),seb_sh (21st August 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post

Edit: d'oh I forgot Mikkelsen, but again he depends on Ogier I think.
    Mikkelsen was rumored to be negotiating with Hyundai and Citroen. His Germany result came in the perfect time.

I could see both Ogier and Mikkelsen going to Citroen. Maybe the relationship between Meeke and Citroen is so venomous at this point that it does only bad for both parties, that they should just break off the contract. Would Meeke drive for M-Sport? Retire and go to WRX?

Or then would Paddon and Sordo share the third car if Mikkelsen went to Hyundai? Would they put Paddon to gain experience in an R5 or retire Sordo? Neither of them have been extremely bad, but not really very good either.

Liked 352 Times in 184 Posts
    If Ogier goes to Citroen, I don´t see any space left there for Mikkelsen. His only chance then would be M-Sport, if also Tänak leaves for Toyota. MW isn´t stupid to go for 2018 with Evans, Suninen and Camilli.

At any rate I see Mikkelsen´s future in WRC still in jeopardy.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WUff1 View Post
    MW isn´t stupid to go for 2018 with Evans, Suninen and Camilli.
    He has done things like that both in 2003 (from McRae +Sainz to unknown Duval +Martin) and 2005 (from by then established Duval and Martin to Gardermeister+Kresta).

Both were during development period for new cars though so that's different. But both were periods where they needed extra money, so some similarities are there.
    Last edited by mknight; 21st August 2017 at 15:23.

Liked 1,504 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    https://www.rallye-magazin.de/wrc/ar...-abstellgleis/

Matton saying something like they want to plan their future with the drivers nominated for Spain.
    So no Ogier at Citroen at 2018?

Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
    I think there are so many uncertainties at the moment that its going to be tough to call. A lot depends on Ogier and his decision. He will have made his mind up before Spain in October and that decision depends on Ford coming back as a manufacturer. If they do, he will stay, if they don't then he will be at Citroen. If he does go that leaves at least one seat open and M-sport, I am expecting Tanak to also leave and go to Toyota should Ford not commit to the WRC. Mikkelsen could still find himself without a drive should Ogier go to Citroen, I believe Citroen see him as a plan B to getting Ogier. That would leave options for Mikkelsen at M-sport but after testing the I20 earlier in the year, I would think he would be more likely to end up at Hyundai should he not sign with Citroen. Below are my guesses at 2018

Ford
    Ogier
    Tanak
    Evans

Citroen
    Mikkelsen
    Meeke
    Breen

Toyota
    Latvala
    Lappi
    Haninnen

Hyundai

Neuville
    Paddon
    Sordo

Or

M-sport
    Evans
    Camili
    Suninen

Citroen
    Ogier
    Meeke
    Breen

Hyundai
    Neuville
    Mikkelsen
    Paddon/Sordo

Toyota
    Latvala
    Tanak
    Lappi

10. Likes: AnttiL (21st August 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

2018 Teams

Quote Originally Posted by Arwel Davies View Post

Ford
    Ogier
    Tanak
    Evans

Citroen
    Mikkelsen
    Meeke
    Breen

Toyota
    Latvala
    Lappi
    Haninnen

Hyundai

Neuville
    Paddon
    Sordo
    Hänninen would probably be switched for Suninen in this scenario. Or Tänak to Toyota and Suninen to Ford.

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    If they are also refusing to pay enough even for Tanak or Mikkelsen it will follow the previous fiesta story.
    In 2011 when it came it was a top car, especially on gravel where it even seemed better than DS3. By 2016 it was clearly the slowest car...in a way also with comparatively weakest driver lineup.

Also worth mentioning is how the DS3 seemingly improved compared with Polo between 2014-2016. That's imo what Ogier is talking about, you need continuing commitment/money for development and testing to stay on top.
    fiesta never was slow car,actyally was up to the game with rivals,and much easier to setup.
    Differences you are talking belongs at 99% to drivers.Same with Polo era vs fiesta and ds3.

13. Likes: A FONDO (25th August 2017),Andre Oliveira (21st August 2017),andyone (28th August 2017),er88 (22nd August 2017),pantealex (21st August 2017),tommeke_B (21st August 2017)